Victim of centrals only?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bonum.noctem

Re: Victim of centrals only?

Post by bonum.noctem » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 am

Julie wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:30 am
Cpap rhinitis is a RESULT of using a humidifier set too high for your conditions (already humid enough in the room), so what you just said doesn't make sense.
Oh damned, I somehow must have got it the wrong way when I was writing this. I just overflew the results of the search for "cpap rhinitis" and thought it can also occur when the air is too dry.

Anyway, I thought that that's what the auto setting for humidity is for, and ResMed H5i / HumidAir technology indeed seems to take care of this, which makes trying to use a manual setting pretty much obsolete:
Most patients using an AirSense 10 or AirCurve 10 device with a ClimateLineAir heated tube, find that Climate Control Auto is the ideal setting. Climate Control Auto allows you to set your patient’s preferred temperature and automatically delivers 85% relative humidity.
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health

Pugsy

Re: Victim of centrals only?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Julie prefers low humidity or no humidity so she blames cpap rhinitis on too much humidity.
If you actually google "cpap rhinitis" they tell you to increase the humidity setting.
I get really bad cpap rhinitis from little or no humidity.
CPAP rhinitis can be caused by too much or too little humidity. It's another one of those YMMV things. She doesn't need it so she doesn't think it is important but I am hear to tell you that if you need it...it's critical for comfort. Been there and done that and have the T shirt.
She just refuses to offer a complete explanation for some reason or other and bases her advice on what works for her like it must work for everyone else.
It's not necessarily going to work for the next person and it sure as hell doesn't work for me.
I did a poll once...and most people used humidity levels higher than middle of the road than those that used lower or none. Not real scientific and limited to this forum but that's what the results were.

It's a highly individualized need and just something you have to sort out.
Most people will need more humidity and less despite what Julie believes.

If a hot steamy shower helps...then more humidity will help.
The "auto" setting for humidity and temp delivers about 80 to 85 % humidity at a temperature that will hopefully prevent rain out. Doesn't always work...I learned that from personal experience.

You have a cold...a virus....you don't have cpap rhinitis. You don't get fever, sore throat and green snot from cpap rhinitis.
Cpap rhinitis is mainly like an allergy attack...congestion, drainage, sneezing, itchy, etc.
Take a hot steamy shower....if it helps clear up your nose...increase the humidity setting on the machine.

Yes...it's a comfort thing but darn it....we gotta be comfortable to get to sleep and stay asleep so that makes it pretty damn important in my book.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.