My MAD Experience

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sparklesea

My MAD Experience

Post by Sparklesea » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm

Three years ago I had a sleep study done by an experienced and well-respected physician. The study indicated that I had mild sleep apnea so he recommended that I see another physician who could fit me with an oral appliance rather than go through the adjustment period involved with a CPAP.

I had little difficulty adjusting to the TAP appliance and the quality of sleep was great; however, when I returned for a 6-month follow up I mentioned that my seemed to have changed ever so slightly. The dr. Recommended that I discontinue use of the TAP until my bite readjusted to its previous position when I should return to be fitted with a repositioning device to be worn each morning. I faithfully used the repositioner each morning upon waking. Fast forward 2 years when I started to notice that only my rear molars were making contact and I was chewing differently. I’m also sleeping for shorter periods - 6 hours average instead of 8 with waking episodes and I often feel tired and sleepy. Pandemic conditions prevented me from seeing my general dentist until today. He told me that the state of the misalignment was such that I need to see an orthodontist for corrective treatment and that I should check with the original sleep physician to obtain a CPAP to use while I undergo the orthodontic treatment and decide about resuming MAD use afterwards. Not sure I want to risk that again.

I relate this story to warn anyone who might be considering a MAD to proceed with caution. In retrospect, my general dentist thinks I probably should have had more follow up with the dentist who fitted the TAP because the shifting of the jaw develops so gradually that patients usually don’t notice it until it’s significant. My thought is that an oral appliance is a nice idea but it needs to be managed over time. Not trying to place blame anywhere as I’m responsible for noting my own symptoms. Hope someone can benefit from my cautionary story.

Julie

Re: My MAD Experience

Post by Julie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:48 am

There's a reason Cpap is the 'gold standard' treatment for apnea.

cyberdreamer

Post by cyberdreamer » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:17 am

Sparklesea wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm
Not trying to place blame anywhere as I’m responsible for noting my own symptoms.
I fail to see how it's your fault. The dentist spent years supposedly studying his profession and must have charged a significant fee for messing your teeth.

Thanks for warning others of the risks of appliance! Most doctors only care about the money and don't mention to us the host of possible side effects and the low efficacy rate of their proposed treatments.
Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset (humidity 7, slimline hose) (5 years)
Mask: Resmed F30 (medium) (1 year)
Previous masks: Swift FX Nano (5 years); Dreamwear Nasal (few days); Swift FX pillow (few days)
Sleep study in 2016 with AHI 12 and some oxy desats

mper!?

Post by mper!? » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 am

_Thanks for sharing this! I am still waiting, and I would like to hear about good benefiets/cost with these appliances

good luck
Not a Doctor.
"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight (Carly Fiorina)".

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:15 am

mper!? wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 am
_Thanks for sharing this! I am still waiting, and I would like to hear about good benefiets/cost with these appliances

good luck
Don't hold your breath.
If it does work, then the patient would be unlikely to post on a cpap forum.
Just saying . . .