Only one telephone line into your house?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
needingu

Only one telephone line into your house?

Post by needingu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 pm

What does this have to do with sleep apnea you say? Well ,you can stay on the chatline longer and not worry about someone trying to call you while you have the line tied up with computer and telephone sharing one line.
.......................................................................................................................
When I find something I like...I want others to try it, IF they need it. I had ask my son to make software so that the computer would shut down when receiving a telephone call. (His company does that) Well ,he said another company already has that. Called ".Phone tray dialup" check search engne ..It is one of the handiest things in the house. While I'm typing here and the telephone rings..the computer allows the telephone to ring and I can answer the telephone. If you don't click cancel it will automatically recall the server in a few minutes.
I hope it isn't against the rules to post this.. I had looked for something like this for so long. I wanted to
share. You get to do a trial for quite some time then only pay a one time fee if you want to keep it. Its worth it..
We can all be angels to one another. ..., the little whisper that says,Go. Ask. Reach out. The world will be a better place for it. And wherever they are, the angels will dance."

hobbs

Re: Only one telephone line into your house?

Post by hobbs » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Don't tell me your still using one of these too?

http://www.cyberroach.com/analog/an19/hayes_1200.htm

needingu

Post by needingu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:43 pm

Since I am struggling from the horse and buggy days, I feel pretty fortunate for $15.00 (forever) I will be able to access my telephone and computer at the same time.. Please don't give me any more tech stuff..just give me a good ole ON and OFF button. I'm tired of cell phones, ipods, blackberries etc. I use them. I don't LIKE them. Lose the instructions and you call your grandson to straighten it all out. Its no fun...
We can all be angels to one another. ..., the little whisper that says,Go. Ask. Reach out. The world will be a better place for it. And wherever they are, the angels will dance."

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:52 pm

hobbs wrote:Don't tell me your still using one of these too?

Would one of those replace my Atari 1030? Seems a little pricey.

jasper

Post by jasper » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:29 am

Sounds like a great idea. I have cable, but my daughter is usually "unavailable" at night because her kids ar on the computer. I can also relate to having the grandkids solve problems for you. My grandson is our resident expert. Thanks for the tip.

racefan

Post by racefan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:30 am

Is this not spam?
Why do black tires make white smoke?

needingu

Post by needingu » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:47 am

Racefan..you may be right...I hope it will be a big help to all those like me" HI-tech challanged" ..but still want to keep up as much as I can. this allows for a simple way to take advantage of both worlds. I do hope if its disagreeable that it will just disappear but maybe helped one family. I know how badly I needed this. I would not want to trouble anyone.
I suppose there are other connections...at least..you know it can be searched out. I hate unasked for spam as much as
anyone. Sorry if I have over- stepped. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and we do have a lot to be thankful for.Signing off!

ofarchesandants

Post by ofarchesandants » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:01 am

Don't worry needingu, it's not spam. It was a sincere attempt to help others who may have a similar problem. Looks like it directly helped at least one because they responded. Who knows how many who didn't respond it may help. And it directly it helped the higher tec h folks to as another option was posted by hobbs due to your post. While neither your post nor the post by hobbs do anything for me, i just wanted to respond to tell you offering info as a sincere attempt to help is not spam even if not appreciated by all. Give a man gold and some will complain it's not diamonds. You can't please everyone, but thanks for the effort. Happy Thanksgiving.
Cheers,
Gregg )

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:11 am

I had never even considered that anybody who used dialup would only have one phone line -- and I used to be a sys-admin for a wholesale dialup provider. When I was using dialup I had two phone lines. In our home now we have both broadband cable and wireless broadband, along with a regular phone line. My partner and I also have two cell phones each (a personal phone and a work phone).

I will never give up my wired phone line; when we had a hurricane knock out the power for three days, it was the only phone that stayed working. Hmmmm. I wonder if it would be possible to keep a CPAP battery charged using a telephone line loop current.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:22 am

hobbs wrote:Don't tell me your still using one of these too?

I still have my internal Hayes 1200 squirreled away in the original box (1986 vintage).
It's HUGE, too. Probably a museum piece by now.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:15 pm

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:35 pm

ofarchesandants wrote: And it directly it helped the higher tec h folks to as another option was posted by hobbs due to your post.
I am sorry, it was a joke. The modem I linked to is circa 1984 and unbeliveable slow compared to todays dialup speeds.

MrSandman

Post by MrSandman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:21 pm

This function that you mention was a big deal when it came out. Very soon after this update came out modems started to die off in favor of broadband. I was doing just what you asked your son about probably 8 or so years ago.

Ah, here you go and yes this is from 8 years ago - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=201
MrSandman - Send me a dream...

Hey, I wanted a cool name related to sleep...

needingu

Post by needingu » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:03 pm

Browser..Thank you
I don't feel quite so "stupid" and here I thought it was an original idea about 3 yrs ago.. I told my son If there isn't something available like that there sure should be. Sooooo at least my brain cells were working. I am still happy with my setup.There is no end to the gadgets we can have. I am not going to try to keep up . Just the things I need to simplify life a bit.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving weekend.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:39 pm

My first modem was a 300 baud DEC modem that I used with my vt100 terminal. I was thrilled to get a 1200 baud Hayes Smartmodem, which cost about $300 at the time.