Insurance schedule

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Roman Hokie

Insurance schedule

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Good evening. I think my DME is an idiot. Aside from the fact that he requires me to notify him monthly to send me my 2 filters and 2 nasal pillows, I think he's on his own schedule. I have BCBS.

If I recall correctly, it seems that I should get the pillow interface / mask every 3 months, 2 pillows and 2 filters a month (technically every 2 weeks), a tube every 3 months, and the humidifier every 6.

Does this sound right?

According to my DME, he says:

1 pillow a month, 1 filter a month, tubing tub and "headgear" every 6 and mask every 6. I appreciate the advice of the masses here. How do I address him on this? Or do I call BCBS and complain. (At least I have no copays or coinsurance on this. Thank you in advance.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Insurance schedule

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:Or do I call BCBS and complain.
No, call BCBS and ask them for a copy of the replacement schedule. It's their replacement schedule, not the DME's. Even within BCBS, policies vary, so no one here can tell you what your policy says.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:49 pm

What she said.
Get it in WRITING, confront them with any discrepancy, and , if necessary,
TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:Good evening. I think my DME is an idiot. Aside from the fact that he requires me to notify him monthly to send me my 2 filters and 2 nasal pillows, I think he's on his own schedule. I have BCBS.

If I recall correctly, it seems that I should get the pillow interface / mask every 3 months, 2 pillows and 2 filters a month (technically every 2 weeks), a tube every 3 months, and the humidifier every 6.

Does this sound right?

According to my DME, he says:

1 pillow a month, 1 filter a month, tubing tub and "headgear" every 6 and mask every 6. I appreciate the advice of the masses here. How do I address him on this? Or do I call BCBS and complain. (At least I have no copays or coinsurance on this. Thank you in advance.
Some insurance (including Medicare) do not allow regular shipments of supplies ...the patient must request them. IMO..no one needs the supplies on a regular basis. Who needs a new hose every 3 months they never wear out. Same with most masks and humidifiers.
Because they are free doesn't mean you have to take them....that's why out healthcare system is in the shape it is in.
Last edited by LSAT on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Call your Ins. (as already said) but also make sure the DME is only billing for what they are sending not what you think they should send.

Greekjim

Post by Greekjim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:04 pm

I went to the new DME place cause I got new insurance and the lady at the desk never heard of the new F20 mask when I went to order. Not happy with them.