Heated tube malfunction

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
spelchek

Heated tube malfunction

Post by spelchek » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:07 pm

HI all,

The last few nights I am getting lots of condensation in the tube from the cpap machine to my mask. It is a heated tube and I've had no problems with it before. Is there a way to test if the tube itself (ie the heating element) is broken OR the cpap machine itself is malfunctioning?

The machine/tube is around 18mnths old.

What sort of lifespan should I be expecting out of the heated tube??

Cheers!

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:25 pm

depends on "what" heated hose you are talking about.

There are 2. One is an aftermarket solution from SleepZone.com.au right in your homeland, the other is a factory supplied hose from F&P, it can be found here:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/HC604-Heated-Hose.html

So it depends on which you have, you can get replacements for both. How do you test it?

Depends on which you have, if yours is the SleepZone hose, you can test it with a Ohm meter. You set the volt/ohm meter on Ohm's and put the probes on the electrical contact, if the needle or display says about 13-Ohms resistance, your hose should be good. If it reads Zero, then the heating element has broken and reason it doesn't seem to be heating.

I'm sure you can check the F&P hose if you disconnect it from the machine and find the electrical contacts on the end, should be some metal contacts somewhere. If no Ohm reading is seen it also is probably bad.

IF the hose appears good, then it is probably not getting any power from the supply. use the volt meter to check the power supply plug voltage. If low from the value on the label or none then the power supply is defective and needs changing.

Note: If your heated hose is from SleepZone, problem can be in the female plug attached to the hose. If the hose checks out and you are getting power from the power supply, try taking a small nail or screwdriver and bending the "center" pin inside the plug "off center" a tiny bit. This will allow the plug to make better contact and sometimes resolve the problem.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

dsm-guest

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi,

Does your hose feel warm when plugged in and on ? - you should be able to hold the tube in your hand when it is coldd & not been used awhile, then plug it in for 30 mins & hold as before. If no diff then needs further checking.

The evidence suggest no power for some reason.

Good luck

DSM