Who has tried Soyala Nasal or SomnoPlus Nasal Mask??? Others

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
atruvirgo

Who has tried Soyala Nasal or SomnoPlus Nasal Mask??? Others

Post by atruvirgo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:42 pm

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried the Soyala Nasal Mask or the SomnoPlus Nasal Mask. I am constantly wasting money and I still do not have a mask that I can sleep in. Please send me your experience with these or any other nasal mask you have tried.

Thank you so much!
Debbie/Atruvirgo/Armynavyx3
Proud Mom of 1 Navy & 2 Army Kids
Nana to 5 lil darlings!

Life is Grand!!

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:18 am

I have 2 of the Soyala nasals and 2 of the Full Face versions, the nasal is my favorite mask.

The Soyala is made in Germany and very small and light, in fact its size tends to run a bit smaller than same sized masks from other manufactuers. I used a medium in those others and use a large in the Soyala. It is important not to get it too small or it will need to ride down lower on your nose bridge putting too much pressure there leaving a red mark next day, but sized properly it works great and doesn't leave any marks on me.

The mask is of a simple design, very functional and made very well, it is made out of like Tupperware plastic so it is not brittle and won't break it may bend but you won't break it.

It has 4ea quick release clips so you can completely remove the headgear for cleaning. The forehead support doesn't pivot, it has a series of "slots" you insert the support into the main mask, there are 3 additional settings for the forehead piece for a total of 9 different settings. You can also flip the forehead bar upside down to change the height of the bar. Once you find the setting that works for you, you leave it in those setting slots and it won't move.

The headgear is simple similar to what other masks use but it is streatchy, so you don't have to tighten a Soyala very much for it to seal. Only mask I've seen comparable in sealing ability is the Activa.

The swivel elbow is unique, it pivots a full 360 degrees in addition to pivoting out about 20-30 degrees. No other elbow system moves as much as this one. The exhaust air exits the mask via a silicone ring that secures the swivel elbow, it does such a great job diffusing the exhaust air you will have difficulty determining where it is escaping. As a result it is very quiet mask, in fact it is silent. It is the quietest mask I've ever used.

Therapy wise the mask is excellent (for me), it has a very low exhaust rate, meaning it retains more CO2 than other masks. The cushion seals very well even with light strap pressure (again straps are stretchy)

The only problem I had is with the first one I got the elbow ring would unscrew and the hose would disconnect, some hot-glue in the notch at the top fixed that.

The Somnoplus is cheaper and quite a bit different than the Soyala, The Somnoplus doesn't have the same swivel-ball elbow, doesn't have the quick-release clips and the forehead support/adjustments are quite a bit different.

I've been using my Soyala nearly a year now, same mask, same cushion and there is still no real sign of wear. I have a brand new spare in the closet.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

jimbassett

Post by jimbassett » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:10 am

I also have a soyala nasal that is my favorite. When I get tired of messing with the others and want a good nights sleep I go for the soyala nasal. It is very quiet and comfortable. You can't go wrong with this mask. jim

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:47 am

I tried the Soyala. It just did not work for the bridge of my nose. Other than that, it was the quietest mask I have used. There were times when I was not sure the machine was on it was so quiet. I still use it every once in a while and play with the set up, but still have not been able to get it right for me. I mostly use a Resmed UMII nasal (standard), which works very well for me.

TM

atruvirgo

Post by atruvirgo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:42 am

I have got to try this mask!! 5 months on CPAP and still can't find a mask!!

TM...what size is your Soyala...would you be interested in a sale or trade??? Please PM me. I would have PM'd you but you signed in as guest and it won't let me PM you.

Snoredog...your info is invaliable!! I will print it out and as soon as I sell off a few of my failure masks I will buy the Soyala.

Debbie/Atruvirgo/Armynavyx3
Proud Mom of 1 Navy & 2 Army Kids
Nana to 5 lil darlings!

Life is Grand!!

tmaiberger

Post by tmaiberger » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:56 am

PM received and response sent.

TM

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:19 pm

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Highnote

Post by Highnote » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:14 pm

I have been trying a Soyala about 10 days now and found the silicone is harder than on the two other masks I've tried. Some of the comments on cpap.com for this mask say the same thing. It does seem to run small. I sized it carefully using the cpap.com sizing guide (mfr says it's the same size as Somno plus) and it's still biting the edges of my nares. Think I'll take advantage of the return insurance and send it back for a large.

Other than the size issue I like it, it is quiet and the exhaust doesn't blow air like a politician giving a campaign speech.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:37 am

You can also contact the manufacturer directly in Pa. and they will email you a cut out size chart to size yourself. They were very helpful when I spoke with them a while back.

TM

jules

Post by jules » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:50 am

If you email somnotech.com and explain you want a sizing guide they will mail you one.

I have dealt with them twice - once for a part of the Soyala nasal that was faulty and once for the sizing guide to the FFM. Both time I received mail about 4 days after the man said he mailed the part/information.

I have tried the Soyala FFM now for about a week. Other than the headgear sucks, the mask is fine and quiet like the nasal mask. I thought I would test it out before having a cold.

The Soyala nasal mask had been my favorite mask. It was so quiet. I found the forehead piece hard to fit and the headgear sucked but a couple pieces of inch wide elastic crossed over the back of my head worked wonders.

Then I ordered a SomnoPlus. I know this is the earlier version but .... I ordered it because the cushions were the same and I had thought other parts might be interchangeable too. After a while I decided to try the mask itself. I had used the cushion on the Soyala for a couple of weeks.

The SomnoPlus is also very quiet and actually fits better for me. The exhaust is down by the hose connector over dissipating in the front of the mask so I don't get air hitting my eyes with it. The headgear seems more manageable too. I can see where the headgear connector spots on the mask don't appear to be as sturdy as those on the Soyala and you can't just clip the headgear on the mask. Right now this is my favorite mask.