Poll: What mask type do you use?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What mask style to you use?

pillows
47%
nasal mask
20%
full face mask
33%

Total votes: 128

MyIdaho

Re: Poll: What mask type do you use?

Post by MyIdaho » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

MagsterMile wrote:Mirage Quattro FFM seems to be the mask of choice by men if I'm not mistaken. Although I've only tried a grand total of 3 masks (1 pillows, 2 FFM) it seems that I'm stuck with the Mirage Quattro FFM - size small. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the feeling that the Mir. Quattro mask feels too tight as the night wears on. It would be nice to hear opinions from some of the women who use the FFM successfully.
I would agree, in my reading and informal tallying, it appears that most mirage quattro users are males. My mask does not feel tighter as the night goes on. Could your headgear be moving while sleeping which increases tension on the straps? I notice that my top strap moves but not enough change tension on the mask. I use the padacheek anti-leak strap which tends to keep the headgear and mask cushion in place. I can even sleep on my stomach without causing leaks! A huge plus for me!

arthuranxious

Post by arthuranxious » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:13 pm

I use the Swift II and have used Swift nasal pillows almost since day 1. The reason I tried that first was because I was told that a man with facial hair would not get a good fit with a standard mask.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm

I use pillows and nasal.

ringo728

Post by ringo728 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:58 am

A Fisher Paykel "Eson" nasal mask and love it!

RoRo

Post by RoRo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:11 am

Started out at sleep study with the Trueblue nasal mask. At home, first used the F&P Eason. Good mask, but DME was having a hard time getting a larger size (was using medium and needed a large.) Tried the Pilaro but was never able to wear it for more than 2 hours before it got painful. Tried a couple more nasal masks but finally settled on the PR Wisp. Works great for me. I can wear either the small/medium or large sizes and swap them out. As a backup mask and for when I have a cold, I use the Quattro FX FFM.

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 am

MyIdaho wrote:
MagsterMile wrote:Mirage Quattro FFM seems to be the mask of choice by men if I'm not mistaken. Although I've only tried a grand total of 3 masks (1 pillows, 2 FFM) it seems that I'm stuck with the Mirage Quattro FFM - size small. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the feeling that the Mir. Quattro mask feels too tight as the night wears on. It would be nice to hear opinions from some of the women who use the FFM successfully.
I would agree, in my reading and informal tallying, it appears that most mirage quattro users are males. My mask does not feel tighter as the night goes on. Could your headgear be moving while sleeping which increases tension on the straps? I notice that my top strap moves but not enough change tension on the mask. I use the padacheek anti-leak strap which tends to keep the headgear and mask cushion in place. I can even sleep on my stomach without causing leaks! A huge plus for me!
I did talk to the DME RT yesterday and she advised that it probably was movement of the mask itself during the night that might be causing the problem. I will probably go with the pad-a-cheek since I'm pretty sure I will stay with the Mirage Quattro. The RT also advises the Mirage Quattro has fewer complaints from the users at her office than some of the other masks.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:27 am

jencat824 wrote:I'm currently using the Swift LT - it seems to be my 'forever' mask.

I've tried a lot of masks & this one fits the best.

can't get a good seal with the Swift FX.
Swift LT for me also. I don't care to try any other mask at this point. I get to pick out a new mask today from insurance and its Swift LT again even though I already have a stock pile of them

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Mask? what mask, I thought we are supposed to just suck on the hose - hmmmm maybe this is why i've not got my apnea under control in 9 months of trying

dlanbro

Post by dlanbro » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I have a Quattro FX and am not so sure about it. It seems to ride up my nose in the middle of the night. I did see a post today about how to fix it with a velcro chin strap. Going to check it out. Being new to the whole CPAP thing when I'm able to switch I'm looking at my options.

Papit

Post by Papit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 pm

johnthomasmacdonald wrote:Mask? what mask, I thought we are supposed to just suck on the hose - hmmmm maybe this is why i've not got my apnea under control in 9 months of trying
What! I thought we're supposed to blow into it. Been doin' that for 15 months now! Maybe that's why my centrals are so high. : )

Last edited by Papit on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine: AirCurve 10 ASV, Mask: AirFit N30i
PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 am

My quattro headgear starts out kind of tight on the bottom and VERY loose on top...all the top straps do is barely hold it in place.

When I get out of bed in the morning, the mask practically falls off my face due to facial muscle relaxation.

I tried the FX for 30 days and never could get it to stay in place on my face. Every time I rolled over, I got a new leak.

The Respironic's Comfortgel Blue FFM was really really good for 4 hours and then uncontrollable leaks erupted. I suspect the gel conformed to my face and did not adjust fast enough to the facial muscle relaxation. (It probably didn't help that I hated that ball & socket headgear to mask connection)

The forehead piece on the Quattro solved all my leak issues due to my active sleep movements. I have not had a single leak near my eyes since the 1st night.

Every so often, I'll get a leak near my chin. Most times, that's an indication that it's almost time to replace my cushion.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 pm

I use the Oracle 452 mask not on the poll.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

nelamvr6

Post by nelamvr6 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:04 am

I wish I could change my vote!

At the time I first voted, I was using the PR Amara. It was OK at best.

Last night I tried the DevililBliss Aloha, and WOW! Was it a lot better! I can't get over how much better it feels not having that thing strapped onto my face! And my leaks just about went away, even on my highest pressure.

I was a little nervous about breathing through my mouth, but it never became an issue.

The only issue I had was some rainout in my pillows, due to exhalation. I've got a barrel cozy on the way from Pad A Cheek, so that should take care of that.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 pm

I have used only nasal masks during my 25 years of XPAP treatment/

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:07 am

I tried all three types early on in my CPAP life.

The only one that worked for me was the nasal pillows.

Both the nasal cushion and full-face masks had major cons for me.

The nasal cushion mask put pressure on my sensitive facial vascular capillaries around my nose and caused sinus congestion and nasal stuffiness.

The full-face mask in addition to how the nasal cushion mask created nasal stuffiness, the "lower" headgear straps would cause variable tension on the lower part of the mask whenever I changed the position of my head and either caused massive leaks or yanked my jaw back towards my throat depending on the position of my head ... both outcomes are bad for optimal CPAP therapy.

With good chinstrap solution, nasal pillows give me stable, leak-free, and comfortable therapy that has served me quite well for over 6 years now.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.