Vacation Home Machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
andy88488

Vacation Home Machine?

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:17 am

I thought this might have been discussed, but I can't find it. If it was, I apologize. For the first time in my (fairly long) life, I have a vacation home for weekends and summer vacations. I am trying to minimize the amount of schlepping that I have to do, and I'm considering the idea of purchasing a weekend APAP. This leads me to a few questions:

1. In general, is this a good idea? Bad idea? What are the considerations? I'm using a Resmed Airsense 10, and I'd get another 10 or maybe an 11. (BTW, what's the verdict on the 11? The last I saw, the general consensus was that it was not a significant improvement over the 10).

2. Ideally, I'd like to be able to integrate the usage data in OSCAR between the two machines. Is that possible? FYI, my treated AHI is incredibly low, so this is more of an academic question than it is an urgent matter.

3. I use the Resmed MyAir app for things like determining if I have a leak problem and need to adjust my mask straps. Can MyAir use two machines?

4. What I'd probably do (unless there's a reason not to) is take my current (old) machine and bring it to my weekend place, then make the new machine my "daily driver".

Thanks,

Andy
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Dog Slobber

Re: Vacation Home Machine?

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:40 am

andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:17 am
1. In general, is this a good idea? Bad idea? What are the considerations? I'm using a Resmed Airsense 10, and I'd get another 10 or maybe an 11. (BTW, what's the verdict on the 11? The last I saw, the general consensus was that it was not a significant improvement over the 10).
Yes, it's a very good idea. Even without having a vacation home, one should have a spare machine. There are a lot of advantages to having an identical machine as a spare/travel maachine. the same spare parts (Tank, heated hose, power supply, filters). Also good for swapping in for trouble shooting.

The Air11 doesn't appear to have any huge red-flags.
andy88488 wrote:
2. Ideally, I'd like to be able to integrate the usage data in OSCAR between the two machines. Is that possible? FYI, my treated AHI is incredibly low, so this is more of an academic question than it is an urgent matter.
OSCAR can handle multiple machines in the same profile, provided they are similar in data reporting, ie both ResMeds.
andy88488 wrote:
3. I use the Resmed MyAir app for things like determining if I have a leak problem and need to adjust my mask straps. Can MyAir use two machines?
No. Set up a second MyAir account and use the web.
andy88488 wrote:
4. What I'd probably do (unless there's a reason not to) is take my current (old) machine and bring it to my weekend place, then make the new machine my "daily driver".
That's, what I'd do.

sauerkraut

Post by sauerkraut » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:15 am

andy88488;
I have only used the AS 11 so I can't compare .. My experience is positive, The AS 11 Autoset
has dropped My AHI from 48 to just above or below 1 .. The AS 11 is proving to be reliable
it uses the same motor/turbine as the Airmini which has a good track record so far ..
I have read some complaints about the water tank being easier to spill out of then the AS 10,
I haven't had that problem ..

If I already owned an AS 10 I would buy a second one as a backup because of parts commonality ..
You may have to search a bit for a new AS 10 with a Modem the newest ones are Card To Cloud models ..
Be aware of that when looking ..

Best of Luck with Your Choice !!
Steve

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:40 am

Thanks Dog and Sauer for your quick replies. Sauer, I see your point about parts commonality, but I'm afraid I am seduced by the new! :D

Dog, I'm wondering if maybe an AS10 and an AS11 could be combined on one MyAir profile because it looks like they communicate differently. But I can play with that when I get the new machine. This is not my primary concern.

Regards,

Andy
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:45 am

MyAir has always been tied to one machine serial number which is why people haven't been able to combine 2 different machines under one MyAir account.

You can try to combine but don't be surprised when you can't.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:15 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:45 am
MyAir has always been tied to one machine serial number which is why people haven't been able to combine 2 different machines under one MyAir account.

You can try to combine but don't be surprised when you can't.
Hi Pugsy,

Thanks for the clarification! I'll try it, just for the heck of it, but I won't get my hopes up! (I also see in looking further at the AS11, that it can communicate via Cell or Bluetooth, so there goes that idea!)

I'm planning to make the AS11 my new primary machine and leave it at home. I'll take the AS10 to my vacation place.

Regards,
Andy
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:32 am

andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:15 am
(I also see in looking further at the AS11, that it can communicate via Cell or Bluetooth, so there goes that idea!)
Yes, the Air11 has bluetooth.

But, it doesn't exchange therapy data with the Phone App. It still relies on the cell network for therapy summary upload.

All Bluetooth does on the Air11 is, provide the app with the serial number, so you don't have to enter it, and allow you to adjust pressure in Test Drive mode.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:36 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:32 am
andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:15 am
(I also see in looking further at the AS11, that it can communicate via Cell or Bluetooth, so there goes that idea!)
Yes, the Air11 has bluetooth.

But, it doesn't exchange therapy data with the Phone App. It still relies on the cell network for therapy summary upload.

All Bluetooth does on the Air11 is, provide the app with the serial number, so you don't have to enter it, and allow you to adjust pressure in Test Drive mode.
Ah, thanks, that's helpful info, but disappointing! I guess it makes a little sense for ease-of-use (aka "Idiot Mode"?), but I was really hoping it would be able to use Bluetooth for sleep data. My cell service at my home is really, really marginal, and my AS10 is sometimes unable to communicate with Resmed for weeks at a time.

Regards,
Andy
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:54 am

andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:36 am
My cell service at my home is really, really marginal, and my AS10 is sometimes unable to communicate with Resmed for weeks at a time.
It's still mind-boggling that all Resmed devices don't have wifi. The payback period on such an investment would have to be very short, and the ROI huge.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:06 am

loggerhead12 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:54 am
andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:36 am
My cell service at my home is really, really marginal, and my AS10 is sometimes unable to communicate with Resmed for weeks at a time.
It's still mind-boggling that all Resmed devices don't have wifi. The payback period on such an investment would have to be very short, and the ROI huge.
Yeah, but that would require a lot more user set-up, since you'd have to select your wifi network name and enter your password. I mean, I'M perfectly comfortable with doing that, but there are a lot of people who aren't. Note that the new MyAir is so idiot-proof that you don't even have to enter your Serial Number, which strikes me as excessive. They put in a bluetooth capability just so you didn't need to enter the serial number ONCE? That strikes me as crazy, but maybe bluetooth modules are super-cheap these days?
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:24 am

andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:06 am
They put in a bluetooth capability just so you didn't need to enter the serial number ONCE?
:lol: :lol: I call it "fluff"....they make it sound like it is such a benefit that everyone just has to have it and in real life most people don't see that much benefit. They make it out like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and all us old cpap veterans aren't really interested. Maybe some day the machine manufacturers will actually make some sort of improvement that actually will do what people think it will do instead of just creating more "fluff".

I won't be holding my breath though. :D

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:27 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:24 am
:lol: :lol: I call it "fluff"....they make it sound like it is such a benefit that everyone just has to have it and in real life most people don't see that much benefit.
And it didn't even work on my new 11. The bluetooth never connected. I had to enter the serial number manually.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:32 am

Pugsy wrote:
andy88488 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:06 am
They put in a bluetooth capability just so you didn't need to enter the serial number ONCE?
:lol: :lol: I call it "fluff"....they make it sound like it is such a benefit that everyone just has to have it and in real life most people don't see that much benefit. They make it out like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and all us old cpap veterans aren't really interested. Maybe some day the machine manufacturers will actually make some sort of improvement that actually will do what people think it will do instead of just creating more "fluff".

I won't be holding my breath though. :D
Fluff is a good word! You're absolutely right not to expect anything. There's this whole movement of, I don't know, thousands of Apnea patients doing their own very sophisticated thing, and no one is serving that market. Probably this is due to the fact that this machine is only available through doctors, so only doctors can know anything or do anything?

The last time I went to my doctor, I brought my SD card with all of my data, and he didn't even have the capability of examining it. He is chairman of the Sleep Dept. and said that the only way he could look at the data was to take it to the Sleep Study Lab.
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:34 am

loggerhead12 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:27 am
Pugsy wrote:
:lol: :lol: I call it "fluff"....they make it sound like it is such a benefit that everyone just has to have it and in real life most people don't see that much benefit.
And it didn't even work on my new 11. The bluetooth never connected. I had to enter the serial number manually.
:roll:
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:44 am

loggerhead12 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:27 am
Pugsy wrote:
I rest my case....fluff that doesn't even work like it is supposed to work. :lol: :lol:
But then I don't even care to use MyAir so what do I know. I am quite happy looking at the LCD screen on the machine IF I happen to want to see how I did last night. It's more than sufficient for my needs and if I want more I can use OSCAR.

Now when they come out with a machine that can actually for sure measure sleep vs awake....that one will get my attention....but I am not holding my breath on that one either.