Air pillow roulette - change pillows, and my leak score soars

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpap450

Air pillow roulette - change pillows, and my leak score soars

Post by cpap450 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:54 am

I find a horrible inconsistency on "fit" for my Airsense 10 nasal pillows.

Out of ignorance and inertia, I used my first air pillows for five months, cleaning daily of course. For the last six weeks, I was essentially at 0-2 lpm leak each night - 2/3 of that time was zero leaks.

When I got my first supply refurb I switched pillows, and the leak number zoomed, often dropping my score to less than 20/20 for leak. I'd had 20 straight nights of zero leaks when I switched, and then the numbers ranged 5-25 for three weeks before settling down to the 2-10 range (but never again approaching zero - I've had four zero nights in nine months, versus, again, 20 straight right before my first pillow switch.

Last week I damaged the pillows while cleaning and switched, and my numbers started dwelling in the 15-25 lpm in the time since. No matter how purposefully I put on the mask - versus not even thinking about it when it's going right - the leak numbers are higher than I'm used to.

Again, I clean the mask daily, and that routine hasn't changed. My Resmed settings are unchanged (I just checked) from how they always are, including the rampup, the minimum pressure, and that I'm using pillows.

Honestly, even with these leak numbers, the fit FEELS right. I feel "at one" with the mask, and synchronized in my breathing with it. Oddly, the last two nights I've thought I heard some leak from "down the line" - not the mask, but closer to the unit. And though on good nights I'll feel some occasional air by my nose, in the week with the bad scores, I feel none.

Anyway, I tossed the "bad luck" pillow and swapped in a new one; my overaggressive supplies sales contact has several dozen in my hands so they're pretty expendable.

But I wonder if what I experience is normal, and any "tips" for fixing the leak - other than switching pillows - when, really, I'm comfortable after more than a year that I have this stuff figured out.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Air pillow roulette - change pillows, and my leak score soars

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 am

Sometimes it's the HEADGEAR.
When my leak rate gets bad, it is time to swap out for a clean headgear.
Washing in hot water restores the shape and spring.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:23 pm

what chunky said.

also, i seem to find that lansinoh helps because it has a slight tackiness to it that enables the pillow to adhere to me a bit better.

also, you say that you clean it every day. how? do you mean with detergent? or a baby wipe?

i clean mine every day with a baby wipe and with detergent once in a blue moon. i have been using the p10 mask for several years now with no leaks.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 pm

Just to cover the bases: Are you completely sure you're using the same size of pillow at each change-over? Is it possible the leaks are coming from your mouth? And have you tried figuring out whether you do in fact have a leak somewhere between the machine and the mask?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

cpap450

Post by cpap450 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:23 pm
also, you say that you clean it every day. how? do you mean with detergent? or a baby wipe?

i clean mine every day with a baby wipe and with detergent once in a blue moon. i have been using the p10 mask for several years now with no leaks.

good luck!
Most days I gently use a warm washcloth to clean it.

At least once a week I put it in my dishwasher and run it through, which really leaves it fresh.

cpap450

Post by cpap450 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:42 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 pm
Just to cover the bases: Are you completely sure you're using the same size of pillow at each change-over? Is it possible the leaks are coming from your mouth? And have you tried figuring out whether you do in fact have a leak somewhere between the machine and the mask?
Absolutely sure on size - all have an "L" on them, and the one time I tried a Medium - on purpose - it was clearly too small.

Definitely not my mouth, which is relatively fresh each morning. Pre-CPAP I would breathe through my mouth a lot, and one of the collateral benefits of CPAP is how fresh my mouth now feels each morning.

Okay, the money moment though... after my original post, for grins I checked the water tank (I have humidity set to 0 and I think I've been running without water for a year) - and although visually it was fine, it pulled out - it was not "clicked" into place! So now it's back in place, and clicked. That explains, almost certainly, the constant distant hissing I'd hear through the night. Let's see what my score is in the morning.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:42 pm

cpap450 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pm
zonker wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:23 pm

good luck!
Most days I gently use a warm washcloth to clean it.

At least once a week I put it in my dishwasher and run it through, which really leaves it fresh.
you might be over cleaning it, which could lead to a bad fit.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

cpap450

Post by cpap450 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:19 am

Well, if only all problems were that simple.

With the water tank closed properly, my leaks dropped from average of 20+ over the past several days, to 1 lpm last night!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:18 am

Well...now we have another affirmation that people should always make sure the water chamber is fully inserted for several reasons.
Poor nasal pillows got a bad rap and it was the water chamber's fault. :lol: :lol:

Glad you sorted out the issues.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.