Recall on Respironics humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Erinome

Recall on Respironics humidifier

Post by Erinome » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Some here might be interested to know that Respironics has a recall on their Remstar M Series humidifiers.

I wrote earlier of my troubles with getting mine to work:
viewtopic/t72308/Advice-on-fixing-Respi ... ifier.html

The problem persisted even after it was suggested I check that the door was closing properly. A respiratory tech investigating my problem found that Respironics has a recall on the unit, and so I'm able to get a replacement for nothing. The tech hadn't known about the recall and said it explained problems some of his other clients have, too.

So if you have this humidifier you might want to look into the recall by calling Respironics or your tech -- if you haven't had trouble yet you might. (My unit was almost 2 years old, and worked fine until a month ago.)

GumbyCT

Re: Recall on Respironics humidifier

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Erinome wrote:Some here might be interested to know that Respironics has a recall on their Remstar M Series humidifiers.

I wrote earlier of my troubles with getting mine to work:
viewtopic/t72308/Advice-on-fixing-Respi ... ifier.html

The problem persisted even after it was suggested I check that the door was closing properly. A respiratory tech investigating my problem found that Respironics has a recall on the unit, and so I'm able to get a replacement for nothing. The tech hadn't known about the recall and said it explained problems some of his other clients have, too.

So if you have this humidifier you might want to look into the recall by calling Respironics or your tech -- if you haven't had trouble yet you might. (My unit was almost 2 years old, and worked fine until a month ago.)
This has to be a very old recall. What is the recall reference number? Have a link?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

67tony

Post by 67tony » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Looks like units made between 2001 and 2003:

http://www.apneasupport.org/respironics ... ml?style=2
Phillips Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex
Phillips Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:44 pm

67tony wrote:Looks like units made between 2001 and 2003:

http://www.apneasupport.org/respironics ... ml?style=2
That recall was for the pre M series machines. M Series machines were dispensed in 2007 (maybe late 2006) till late 2009 I think. There was a recall on some M series humidifiers. That happened about the time or right before I started therapy in May of '09.

I have had and used 2 M series machines and never had a problem. I don't remember the specifics of the M Series recall. Sorry. I know it was discussed some when I first joined the forum. A few people were involved with the recall but it wasn't hugely widespread.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Erinome

Post by Erinome » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 pm

I don't have a recall number or link, sorry. And I no longer have the unit in my possession.

My unit was new when I received it in February 2010, but I don't know how long my supplier had it until then.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 pm

You are using the M Series BiPap. I am not sure when Respironics made the change to the PR S1 machines in the BiPap line. It was much later then the fall of 2009 though. They started with the plain CPAP machines first. So it probably is very likely that your DME didn't have the M series BiPap all that long.
I don't think the PR S1 BiPap was out yet in Feb 2010.. if it was out it hadn't been released long.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Erinome

Post by Erinome » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Perhaps. I'm not an expert on all the technical specifications of my machine. I was just trying to do a favor by mentioning the recall and didn't expect to get grilled for it. I won't make the mistake of trying to do a favor again.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:34 pm

I didn't mean to sound like I was grilling you. I was just offering an explanation as to why you were given an M series machine when the PR S1 machines were being released.

Also only wanted to make people know that there were recalls on 2 different humidifiers since your link pointed to a humidifier that was an older model.

I am sorry if you felt I was deriding you in any way because that certainly was not my intent.
I was only trying to clarify and confirm that I also had heard of the M Series humidifier recall but I didn't have an specific link to past discussion.

My apology if I have upset you in any way. I sure didn't mean to.

While I can have a sharp tongue sometimes....it wasn't brought out here.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:31 am

Google Respironics M series recall. I found one link here: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... m?ID=81028

I think there may have been a few different versions of this, so check around if your unit isn't in the list.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

John Fields

Post by John Fields » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 am

I have been having problems with my Resmaster pro C-flex +. It worked really good until a month ago. Now I have a lot of problems getting it to start up and when it does the pressure is not like it used to be. I can breath in air much faster than the machine is putting out now. And yes I did replace the little filters on the back. Also after I get it to run I will wake up during the night to the sound of a fast beeping sound coming from the machine. I also have to fill the water tank at least two times during the night sometimes. Sometimes it will go a couple of days with out needing a refill.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:32 am

John Fields wrote:I have been having problems with my Resmaster pro C-flex +. It worked really good until a month ago. Now I have a lot of problems getting it to start up and when it does the pressure is not like it used to be. I can breath in air much faster than the machine is putting out now. And yes I did replace the little filters on the back. Also after I get it to run I will wake up during the night to the sound of a fast beeping sound coming from the machine. I also have to fill the water tank at least two times during the night sometimes. Sometimes it will go a couple of days with out needing a refill.
Which model Remstar Pro with CFlex? There have been probably 4 different models by that name in the past 15 years.
Model number should be on the bottom of the blower unit.
If it is a System One machine..how long have you had the machine? They are warrantied for 2 years...take it back. The beeping means something is wrong.

Water consumption will vary depending on
Ambient room humidity
Leaks
pressure used

If leaks are excessive you will use a lot more water.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:55 pm

The recall was an UK recall from 2009.

Here is the link giving model numbers.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/dts- ... 057226.pdf

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.