Discussion/feedback thread for CPAPfit Pillow beta testers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What final changes, if any, did you make to your CPAPfit Pillow (beta testing version)?

None - the pillow was perfect the way it was originally packed.
19%
I added additional hulls to my beta pillow.
No votes
I added additional foam to my beta pillow.
19%
I added additional hulls and foam to my beta pillow.
6%
I added additional hulls and removed foam from my beta pillow.
No votes
I added additional foam and removed hulls from my beta pillow.
6%
I removed some hulls from my beta pillow.
6%
I removed some foam from my beta pillow.
No votes
I removed some hulls and some foam from my beta pillow.
44%

Total votes: 16

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Discussion/feedback thread for CPAPfit Pillow beta testers

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:39 pm

My pillow arrived thursday, but due to a health emergency of my husband, I only opened it yesterday.
All of the fill was in the pillow--it did not look like much of it was foam, though.
I removed 3 gallons of fill, mostly hulls. I am only 4'10" tall, and need a thinner profile to avoid neck pain.
It was a good night, and I was surprised to have no numbness in my hands.
We will see if this remains consistent.
The Form-Fit pillow is firmer than what I am used to, but the support seems to be working.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:47 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:My pillow arrived thursday, but due to a health emergency of my husband, I only opened it yesterday.
All of the fill was in the pillow--it did not look like much of it was foam, though.
I removed 3 gallons of fill, mostly hulls. I am only 4'10" tall, and need a thinner profile to avoid neck pain.
It was a good night, and I was surprised to have no numbness in my hands.
We will see if this remains consistent.
The Form-Fit pillow is firmer than what I am used to, but the support seems to be working.
Cool feedback. Finding the optimum comfort/support balance is a challenge. The problem is that comfortable pillows don's support but supporting pillows aren't comfortable or adjustable.

This one is infinitely adjustable to suit your tastes but it takes a little trial and error to find the sweet spot.

Remind me if you have used other versions or is this your first one?

It is far more pressure neutral so most people report significant pain relief, no more sore neck, no more headaches and migraines, etc. - hundreds and hundreds of reports like that so far.

Bret

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:39 pm

My pillow arrived yesterday. I removed around 24 ounces of the filling. I decided that I prefer a "softer" pillow so I dug through the hulls I had removed and picked out most of the foam and then I added that foam back in.

I shook the pillow to get things mixed and then put it on the bed.

I sleep on both sides, on my back, and sometimes end up waking up in the face plant position. As I was ready to lay down I formed the pillow for side sleeping as best as I could, then actively set my head into the pillow a few times. Then went to sleep.

When I woke up this morning I could not find any ill side effects associated with using this pillow, so I guess I will use it again tonight.

I generally sleep good at night so getting a good nights sleep is not unusual. I picked this pillow up because it was time for a new pillow and this one looked good.

The one place I have found that this pillow excels is when you use it to prop yourself up to read in bed. I do this a lot and find that I constantly have to adjust position as my old pillow(s) go flat and don't hold position. This pillow holds position very well and offers customizable support. As I spend a lot of time reading in bed I should have been using this pillow a long time ago.

After 1 night I am very pleased but will hold off giving it totally glowing remarks until I have used it for a week or so.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 pm

HoseCrusher, great feedback. Did you get the CPAPfit or the Form-Fit branded pillow?

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:23 pm

Bret, I sent you an email and you answered with a link. I bought the one you suggested which I believe is the Form Fit.

brucelegs

Post by brucelegs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:14 pm

Is it too late to get in a testing? I have 2 couple of the all buckwheat pillows and love them ( a couple of versions), but this additional foam has me intrigued

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me"

inca51

Post by inca51 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back with a response.

I love my pillow! I can smoosh it and move it, make it soft or firmer. I have it real flat right now and scrunch it up under my cheek when I sleep on my stomach. Which, is such a relief...before, with a regular pillow, it would not stay where I put it and my mask would come off or leak and blow air into my eyes. This pillow stays put. The foam adds some loft and seems to make the hulls a little quieter. It might even take more foam pieces.
Thank you for this pillow, it has restored my belly sleeping .

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:28 pm

inca51 wrote:Sorry it took so long to get back with a response.

I love my pillow! I can smoosh it and move it, make it soft or firmer. I have it real flat right now and scrunch it up under my cheek when I sleep on my stomach. Which, is such a relief...before, with a regular pillow, it would not stay where I put it and my mask would come off or leak and blow air into my eyes. This pillow stays put. The foam adds some loft and seems to make the hulls a little quieter. It might even take more foam pieces.
Thank you for this pillow, it has restored my belly sleeping .
It is surprising how much filling this pillow can take! I'm in the most recent test batch and I got a big extra bag of foam and another big bag of hulls. I kept all the original filling and added all of the additional foam too!

Now, it's quite a large pillow and is replacing two foam pillows for me. So, in terms of value for money, big people like me would have to buy two foam pillows to get the same amount of support. That should be considered when evaluating the price.

Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:57 pm

I have been using Bret’s pillow for about a week. I am petite [5’] and like a small pillow so I removed almost half of the hulls and foam pieces. I like the way I can scrunch the pillow to where I have firm support where I want it and also the shape I want. The pillow does not feel overly firm to me at all. I have cervical stenosis with disc herniation and radiculopathy so neck pain is a problem for me. I can honestly say that I have experienced less pain this week—less pain when I wake up, less pain throughout the day, and no headaches. Coordinating neck/upper back placement, nasal pillow and tube placement has been a challenge for me since starting Cpap in November. I feel Bret’s pillow is helping me minimize these issues. And the good news is the pillow is cat approved, both Samantha and Sweetie enjoy the pillow when I am up.