Simple AHI question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jackiep

Simple AHI question

Post by Jackiep » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:28 am

When I have a restless night (some hip pain) my AHI is always higher than when I sleep well through the night ....why would that be ?

Krelvin

Re: Simple AHI question

Post by Krelvin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:36 am

If you can look at reports they are most likely CA's which happen a lot when you are not actually sleeping.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:43 am

When you are having pain, sleep is disturbed and you spend more time transitioning between being asleep and awake.
During these intervals, it is frequent to experience either hypopneas or central events, both of which add to your AHI number. In a sleep lab, however, they will notice the brain arousal, and ignore these. At home, you don't have access to the EKG data so you can't distinguish between events that occur while truly asleep and those in one of these transitions.
If you are able to look at data reports from your machine and look at enough instances of hypopneas, for example, over time you will be able to distinguish between the breathing patterns of sleeping and those of being awake or partially awake. Then you will be able to tell which is which.

Please post your equipment using the User Control Panel for future questions.
Welcome to the forum.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Jackiep

Post by Jackiep » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:05 am

Thank you folks..love getting your input. My SH data does show more CA's...that is often the case with me..I'm old and just recently started treatment..think it is taking the old brain awhile to figure it out ! I think my equipment does appear under my post..doesn't it ?

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:51 am

Does your machine report RERA's, and if so, let us know if relevant to your reports.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

Jackiep

Post by Jackiep » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:46 pm

Yeah it does report RERA's...I never really understood what that was but googled it and do now. Indeed RERA was.26 last night...2 events (46) and (14) with AHI of 4.78...mostly comprised of Hypos ..3.15 (24 events) and CA's .66 (5 events). With an AHI below 3 I note 0 RERA's. Now I have to figure out Flow Limitation...sometimes a huge part of the "pie" !