Jaw pain caused by poor mask fit?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Caymangirl

Jaw pain caused by poor mask fit?

Post by Caymangirl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:30 pm

I have been wearing my nose pillows for 10 months and the headgear is stretched. Two days on this forum and I have learned more about CPap machines, masks etc than in the previous 10 months since I got no education or instruction with my machine. But anyway, in the last two weeks I have been having terrible jaw pain. I thought it was one particular tooth and went to the dentist but he says my teeth are fine. The pain seems to move around my jaw. Two nights ago I woke to very bad pain which made me think I needed to get up and take pain killers. Do you think this jaw pain could be caused by pillows or headgear needing to be replaced? My compliance check is not due until August. I feel like I need to solve this now.i

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Jaw pain caused by poor mask fit?

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:34 pm

Your headgear is stretched out, and there is no "give" to let your jaw be where it needs to be.
Get a new headgear.
You may need to change to a different mask until your jaw heals.
Preferably one hat does not push on your jaw like the other.

Caymangirl

Post by Caymangirl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:25 pm

I thought that might be the case, so have ordered one. Thanks! Of course won't get it until the weekend but at least I can hope relief is in sight.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi, don't want to worry you, but especially in women, cardiac events most often do not show up the same way as in men and often we'll have other areas bother us without chest pain... and the jaw is very much one of the warning signs. I would definitely check, if not tonight in Emerg, at least with my MD tomorrow... it may be nothing (cardiac) but what if it is?

Omne

Post by Omne » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:00 pm

Julie wrote:Hi, don't want to worry you, but especially in women, cardiac events most often do not show up the same way as in men and often we'll have other areas bother us without chest pain... and the jaw is very much one of the warning signs. I would definitely check, if not tonight in Emerg, at least with my MD tomorrow... it may be nothing (cardiac) but what if it is?
Really? huh, never knew that. Thanks for mentioning it, I doubt if my wife knows it either. I'll do some more research on it.

Caymangirl

Post by Caymangirl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:49 pm

Just to say I got my replacement head gear, filters and new pillows. Haven't had any jaw pain or ear pain since. I cant believe how stretched my head gear was after 10 months! Now I am sleeping much better. Obviously I have to figure out a replacement schedule for these things. Sad to say nobody pointed out that the machine even had filters, sad to say when I replaced it it was really gross.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 pm

Are you aware that you can (and should) rinse the filters periodically (e.g. monthly at least)?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Julie wrote:Are you aware that you can (and should) rinse the filters periodically (e.g. monthly at least)?
resmed filters should be *replaced* at least every six months, more often if needed. they're inexpensive, and while they *can* be washed if you notice they're really dusty and you don't have a replacement handy, the recommendation is to replace them.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Sure, no question, but if you can rinse them in between I would think it would help.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Julie wrote:Sure, no question, but if you can rinse them in between I would think it would help.
why?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:06 pm

I must have missed something Julie...Wasn't the question about the pillow mask? Why the comment about filters?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:12 pm

LSAT wrote:I must have missed something Julie...Wasn't the question about the pillow mask? Why the comment about filters?
because:
Caymangirl wrote:Sad to say nobody pointed out that the machine even had filters, sad to say when I replaced it it was really gross.