Self diagnosis based on optimal pressure range?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
userbaby

Self diagnosis based on optimal pressure range?

Post by userbaby » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:22 am

I did not have my sleep test taken properly so I did not have a definite diagnosis of my sleep issue.

By using apap and trial and error, I found my optimal range to be 8.5~ 11.5.(with a-flex turned off) The ahi was less than 1.

If I set my lower pressure anything less than 8, (with a-flex set to 3) my ahi would raise above 7 and in the middle of the night sometimes it is over 15~ 20.

Based on the results, can you tell if I have sleep apnea or not? I was a heavy snorer before too but after using the machine, the detected snoring is zero.

Are there any adverse effects for using the machine if I in fact don't have sleep apnea in the first place?

Julie

Re: Self diagnosis based on optimal pressure range?

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:45 am

You know, I just deleted the response I'd made to your question above.. I thought you were a total newbie here - never saw the 'userbaby' name before - only to realize you've been posting all along (and all over instead of in one thread we can keep track of) as crappyman... and you are taking advantage of the forum. Stick to one name, one thread, and specific questions which when they're replied to, you acknowledge and move on to new ones. At this point I'm wondering if you're really a poster who's been here in the past under other names asking the same questions over and over, wasting people's time. Sleep apnea cannot be confirmed just by having a response to using Cpap, whether or not the response was good... there's more to it.
Last edited by Julie on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:44 am

Crappyman + Userbaby = Crappyuser

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 am

Removing the name crappyman from your 'avatar' space a short time ago vs where it was alongside 'userbaby' this a.m. does not change anything... we're onto you!

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:14 am

userbaby wrote:I did not have my sleep test taken properly so I did not have a definite diagnosis of my sleep issue.

By using apap and trial and error, I found my optimal range to be 8.5~ 11.5.(with a-flex turned off) The ahi was less than 1.

If I set my lower pressure anything less than 8, (with a-flex set to 3) my ahi would raise above 7 and in the middle of the night sometimes it is over 15~ 20.

Based on the results, can you tell if I have sleep apnea or not? I was a heavy snorer before too but after using the machine, the detected snoring is zero.

Are there any adverse effects for using the machine if I in fact don't have sleep apnea in the first place?
Yes, with those results, you definitely have mild sleep apnea. Some people don't need that much pressure to eliminate their symptoms.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

crappyman

Post by crappyman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:02 am

Julie wrote:Removing the name crappyman from your 'avatar' space a short time ago vs where it was alongside 'userbaby' this a.m. does not change anything... we're onto you!
haha. I assume they are all me.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 am

userbaby wrote:my ahi would raise above 7 and in the middle of the night sometimes it is over 15~ 20.

Based on the results, can you tell if I have sleep apnea or not?
What do YOU think?

4kidsmom

Post by 4kidsmom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Since we are not your Dr, the best you're going to get is maybes. If you want something definite, you're going to have to go see an actual doctor, and go through a sleep study. No one here is going to accept the responsibility of diagnosing you.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:32 pm

4kidsmom wrote:No one here is going to accept the responsibility of diagnosing you.
You've been here four days, and you know that?

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:38 pm

In general, it seems to me having an AHI in the mild range while using CPAP is a pretty good indicator that one is diagnosable for OSA, but that is not enough info to determine the severity of your untreated OSA. An AHI in the mild range on cpap would make me suspect it could be more severe without treatment. If your events are few, of short duration, do not contain significant centrals, and you have no lung or heart issues to consider, I'd probably just be glad to have dialed in to a pressure that seems to be working.

4kidsmom

Post by 4kidsmom » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:05 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
4kidsmom wrote:No one here is going to accept the responsibility of diagnosing you.
You've been here four days, and you know that?[/quote Well, I know from observance, that most here are intelligent enough to not want THAT legal issue. But, if you disagree, naturally, you may be my guest and accept responsibility for anything that may happen due to this person taking you for a doctor and acting on your advice without seeing a physician...that, of course, is your choice. Apparently someone here IS that foolish. Forgive me for overestimating the intelligence of the people here. I apologize.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:10 pm

4kidsmom wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
You've been here four days, and you know that?
Well, I know from observance, that most here are intelligent enough to not want THAT legal issue. But, if you disagree, naturally, you may be my guest and accept responsibility for anything that may happen due to this person taking you for a doctor and acting on your advice without seeing a physician...that, of course, is your choice. Apparently someone here IS that foolish. Forgive me for overestimating the intelligence of the people here. I apologize.
well, you screwed up in the first place with your supposition that there's a "diagnosis" issue.

there are plenty of people who will offer suggestions, and those suggestions very often, lead to a better quality of life for people that learn to diagnose and treat themselves based on the knowledge they pick up here.

nobody is "diagnosing" anything, nobody is 'playing doctor'.

maybe you haven't heard, but sleep studies aren't 'all that', they're fraught with inaccuracies.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

4kidsmom

Post by 4kidsmom » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:17 pm

My statement stands. If you think I screwed up, be my guest and believe that. I do not object, as it does not bother me if you choose to disagree.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:36 pm

4kidsmom wrote:My statement stands. If you think I screwed up, be my guest and believe that. I do not object, as it does not bother me if you choose to disagree.
and you're welcome to stand by your statement, no matter how incorrect it may be.

the issue isn't *diagnosis*, the issue is treatment, to enable a person to feel rested.

the only thing diagnosis is good for with sleep apnea is getting a doctor to write a rx and an insurance company to pay for a machine, neither of which are applicable here.

but, perhaps you feel I should bow to your vast experience in the workings of this forum and cpap self help? of course, Granny already alluded to that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

TheUglyTruth

Post by TheUglyTruth » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:03 am

Several times per year, someone new and still wet behind the ears comes in here and wants to stop what has made the forum so valuable to tens of thousands of patients.

Credentials are what the doctor did for himself in the past. Effectiveness is what the doctor does for you today. Some doctors who have a lot of the former, don't feel moved to do any of the latter.