Travelling With CPAP in wet area- What dry bag?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
travel_travel

Travelling With CPAP in wet area- What dry bag?

Post by travel_travel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 am

Hi All,

I'm going to be traveling in Southeast Asia with my Resmed A10 and P10 mask for 3-9 months. Since I expect it to rain there heavily, I'm going to keep my cpap separate and in it's own dry bag. Definitely not going to buy another cpap/travel one. I own this one outright.

I'm trying to figure out first what I need to bring, and secondly what bag is best. Something like an REI dry bag looks the ticket https://www.rei.com/c/dry-bags?r=c&ir=c ... ags&page=1 but wondering if anyone has experience?

Also looking to see what people's thoughts on what consumables ill need for say 6 months? thinking at least an extra mask, but ive only had a cpap 2 months so not sure how long I can expect things to last.

And lastly, wondering what effect not using distilled water will have? Not sure if ill be able to easily find it there.

Thanks!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Travelling With CPAP in wet area- What dry bag?

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:34 am

If you can afford it, maybe an Otter type camera box.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 am

travel_travel wrote:Something like an REI dry bag looks the ticket
Why not use the bag that came with the machine and stuff everything electric in zip freezer bags?

travel_travel wrote:And lastly, wondering what effect not using distilled water will have?
Any potable water will work. The reason to use distilled is to avoid mineral buildup in the humidifier tank. It's pretty easy to clean the tank of minerals.
travel_travel wrote:what consumables ill need for say 6 months
I would take at least two extra masks, two extra hoses and two extra machine filters.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:05 am

Plus an extension cord or two in the local elect. voltage/wattage used (converters/adaptors may be needed).

travel_travel

Post by travel_travel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:16 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Why not use the bag that came with the machine and stuff everything electric in zip freezer bags?
The ResMed bag is huge and I'm trying to save space
ChicagoGranny wrote:Any potable water will work. The reason to use distilled is to avoid mineral buildup in the humidifier tank. It's pretty easy to clean the tank of minerals.
Good to know
ChicagoGranny wrote: I would take at least two extra masks, two extra hoses and two extra machine filters.

Perfect

travel_travel

Post by travel_travel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:18 pm

Julie wrote:Plus an extension cord or two in the local elect. voltage/wattage used (converters/adaptors may be needed).
Extension cord is a great idea hadn't thought about that. I'll try to grab a 6ft one. Have a surge protector but open to suggestions on an adpator.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:38 pm

travel_travel wrote:
Julie wrote:Plus an extension cord or two in the local elect. voltage/wattage used (converters/adaptors may be needed).
Extension cord is a great idea hadn't thought about that. I'll try to grab a 6ft one. Have a surge protector but open to suggestions on an adpator.
6ft isn't enough for most regular hotel rooms.
Also bring scent free baby wipes to clean the masks.

Consider mask liners since your face might be very sweaty and that might make the mask slither and leak.

You might check out camping stores for waterproof bags. I had some long ago for canoeing.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

travel_travel wrote: suggestions on an adpator.
Your preference - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c ... Caps%2C566

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:36 pm

travel_travel wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote: Why not use the bag that came with the machine and stuff everything electric in zip freezer bags?
The ResMed bag is huge and I'm trying to save space
you will need the room for all the spare supplies and cords, etc.

amenite

Post by amenite » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:16 pm

I have a few of these from 20 Liter (which is pretty large) on down to maybe 4 Liter. Get a size or two larger than you think you'll need since they need to be rolled down a few times to seal, and you can roll them down alot more if you don't need the space. I would steer clear of the models made with lighter weight fabrics. Maybe even go for one of the heavier weight ones for the durability if weight is not an issue.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?ite ... &o3=166-20

TheUglyTruth

Post by TheUglyTruth » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:07 am

I don't know what bag came with your machine, but mine cuddles and protects the machine pretty well. I would worry about damage to the machine in one of those "dry bags".

You do know the machine should never be checked as luggage and can be carried on as "medical device" and does not count toward your carry-on limit?

Credentials are what the doctor did for himself in the past. Effectiveness is what the doctor does for you today. Some doctors who have a lot of the former, don't feel moved to do any of the latter.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:44 pm

I've got to agree with Tut on the bag. My ResMed bag that came with my machine is well built and works pretty well, I think. It is allowed (in the US) as a non counting carry-on and fits under the seats of all aircraft I've flown on. It will sit on top of a roll on and has a strap to attach it to the extended handle making it pretty easy to carry. I do what CG recommended and put everything in zip lock bags. I gallon size each for the blower and humidifier, a quart size for the mask and some sandwich bags for smaller items. I usually toss in a few spare bags as well. I'm not sure how you could get smaller. The machine and accessories take up the same volume no matter where it is packed. If you have space for individual pieces in other luggage, maybe the contents of that should be consolidated to reduce the number of other bags. Having everything in one bag makes it convenient for travel, too. If you are staying overnight somewhere, you don't have to unpack a bunch of stuff to get to it. I usually put a couple of other things, like a night shirt and toothbrush, in it as well and when I get to the hotel, I'm all set.