Injury caused by CPAP; has there ever been even one?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
edfreeman

Re: Injury caused by CPAP; has there ever been even one?

Post by edfreeman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:03 pm

D.H. wrote:It's not nice how people are just making insults because my friend is so uncomfortable with CPAP. I'm very aware how dangerous his non-compliance is, given that I've been using CPAP myself for 17 years (with minimal issues).

He is not overly agile and has the symptoms of catalepsy. I think that this is because of severe untreated sleep apnea, but that's not certain. It is for this reason he fears not being awakened on time and suffocating.

While this is may not be a realistic fear, it is not a completely irrational one either.
Sorry about the crowd, but they aren't incorrect, and I'm not trying to be insulting by disagreeing with your last statement. It is a "completely irrational fear." That being said, I know you're trying to help your friend and are seeking information and things to tell him to get over this fear. Here's my list of suggestions:

1. Tell him the doctor knows his medical conditions (all of them) and wouldn't prescribe a dangerous treatment.
2. Sit with him while he puts the mask on, machine off. Show him he can breath in this situation no matter what, and the change in pressure is very likely to awaken him if it does lose power while he's asleep.
3. Near as I can tell, the machines draw about 50-60 Watts with humidifier and 12" Hg pressure. Those computer backup batteries at Walmart for about $130 will run the machines for a few hours if power is lost for a bit.
4. They sell bigger battery backups, too, specifically made for the load profile of these machines. They aren't that cheap though.

In my view, knowing he can breath with the mask on power off should settle him down, but I don't know him.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:34 pm

"Sorry about the crowd" ?? Two posts and already you're apologetic for the group's behavior ? Wow.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Gasper62 wrote:"Sorry about the crowd" ?? Two posts and already you're apologetic for the group's behavior ? Wow.
off to a great start. insult the crowd and pander to the gimp. *shrugs*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

edfreeman

Post by edfreeman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:40 pm

You are insulted by that? Why?

I'm a bit "old school" when it comes to internet discussion groups, especially those (like this one) where members help one another. If you have help to offer, then do. If you don't, then don't. If you find someone is unworthy of your help, ignore. Think he might be insulted by being called a gimp?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:47 pm

When you apologize for someone, it presumes you feel they're wrong, which is an insult unless you know them better and still feel they're wrong. Being a newbie, you may be jumping to insulting conclusions.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:48 pm

edfreeman wrote:Think he might be insulted by being called a gimp?
with any luck.

since D.H. discovered the forum and started posting inane, and meaningless things on every thread he could find, then finally, after a couple days figured out how to register, he's managed to post a grand total of 45 pointless, inane, meaningless comments on things that it's often pretty clear he has no idea about.

"the crowd" is noticing.

likely he'd be much happier over on apenaboard where they treasure such mindless fluff and have dedicated, determined protectors of feelings, which are more important there than are facts.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

edfreeman

Post by edfreeman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Julie wrote:When you apologize for someone, it presumes you feel they're wrong, which is an insult unless you know them better and still feel they're wrong. Being a newbie, you may be jumping to insulting conclusions.
Thanks for that. But, as I continued in that post, they're not wrong, at least not technically on the question. The apology was for them being abusive to the questioner. I get that the question is a bit "basic" (being kind), but there should be no question nor questioner, no matter how tedious some find it, that earns that, not on a help board. If someone is consistently "basic" and suspected of trollism, you ignore them. Imagine new prospective members viewing the responses this OP received . . .

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:13 pm

edfreeman wrote:
Julie wrote:When you apologize for someone, it presumes you feel they're wrong, which is an insult unless you know them better and still feel they're wrong. Being a newbie, you may be jumping to insulting conclusions.
Thanks for that. But, as I continued in that post, they're not wrong, at least not technically on the question. The apology was for them being abusive to the questioner. I get that the question is a bit "basic" (being kind), but there should be no question nor questioner, no matter how tedious some find it, that earns that, not on a help board. If someone is consistently "basic" and suspected of trollism, you ignore them. Imagine new prospective members viewing the responses this OP received . . .
why do new people come in and start telling "the crowd" how to do things?

there are at least three different user supported cpap help forums out there, they each have their own personalities, they each have their ways, there's no reason whatsoever that they should be homogenized and all made to be the same.

edfreeman

Post by edfreeman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:20 pm

Well, see, that's where you're wrong. I didn't tell anyone how to do anything. I addressed the OP's questions. I apologized for "the crowd," but you're right, that was wrong. Some of "the crowd" did attempt to answer the question. Some did not and are wearing the shoe because it fit.

Post away the way you want to. I'll do the same.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 pm

edfreeman wrote:Well, see, that's where you're wrong. I didn't tell anyone how to do anything. I addressed the OP's questions. I apologized for "the crowd," but you're right, that was wrong. Some of "the crowd" did attempt to answer the question. Some did not and are wearing the shoe because it fit.

uh.... huh.
edfreeman wrote:but there should be no question nor questioner, no matter how tedious some find it, that earns that, not on a help board. If someone is consistently "basic" and suspected of trollism, you ignore them. Imagine new prospective members viewing the responses this OP received . . .
seems pretty clear to me that you're the new guy tellin the board how it should be done.

much like the twits that buy a house next to the airport then start suing because it's noisy... instead of doing the rational thing and finding someplace that better suits their desires.

edfreeman

Post by edfreeman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:30 pm

palerider wrote:
edfreeman wrote:Well, see, that's where you're wrong. I didn't tell anyone how to do anything. I addressed the OP's questions. I apologized for "the crowd," but you're right, that was wrong. Some of "the crowd" did attempt to answer the question. Some did not and are wearing the shoe because it fit.

uh.... huh.
edfreeman wrote:but there should be no question nor questioner, no matter how tedious some find it, that earns that, not on a help board. If someone is consistently "basic" and suspected of trollism, you ignore them. Imagine new prospective members viewing the responses this OP received . . .
seems pretty clear to me that you're the new guy tellin the board how it should be done.

much like the twits that buy a house next to the airport then start suing because it's noisy... instead of doing the rational thing and finding someplace that better suits their desires.
Well, I was referring to my initial response to the OP (and your pouncing) rather than our little unproductive exchange. And I don't care. If the "personality" of this board is to be abusive to those who likely need assistance the most, that's fine. I'll help when I can, ask what I need, apologize when I feel like it on behalf of others.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:38 pm

palerider wrote:

~~~they cannot afford their desires.

So many people have real and significant unmet NEEDS because they will not identify and separate out their WANTS.

~~~Then they expect their NEEDS to be met by others.
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Sure Grace, of course, there there. This place gets crazier every day, doesn't it!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:20 pm

edfreeman wrote: apologize when I feel like it on behalf of others.
presumptuous git, aren't you?

Pneumophile

Post by Pneumophile » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Momster wrote:My first time on this forum. I am sad to read such immature and rude comments.
Stay away from the Trump thread and just ignore the jerks elsewhere ..... but don't miss the genuine humor that can be found about the place.

Nothing wrong with a bit of 'umah, sometimes things do need to lighten up a tad.