Running out of ideas: Airsense 10 whining/whistling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brightcrow

Running out of ideas: Airsense 10 whining/whistling

Post by brightcrow » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:39 pm

I googled and read posts about this and have tried a few recommendations, with varying degrees of success. I read about older units having defective seals, but I've had my unit for only a year. Most confusing, I read humidifiers with white colored plastic on top are the defective ones, and those with gray are the corrected ones. BOTH my original cup and the new cup from my DME after 6 months have white plastic. Is this even correct information?

Ignoring that for now: before I resort to replacing humidifier chamber, I want to make sure it's not just a problem with Humidity or Climateline temperature settings. I have an Airsense 10 with Climateline hose and and Airfit P10 nasal pillows, all of which I clean and maintain well. I have had my CPAP for just over a year, and am using the same humidifier cup that came with it. On alternate days when my humidifier cup isn't air-drying after washing, I top off the water in the cup in the morning and slide it into the unit in advance for the coming night.

Increasingly over the last few months I've had trouble with a very loud whine right when I connect my mask to the Climateline hose. When this happens it usually gets better when I remove the humidifier cup, open it and dry off the moisture on the large square seal, wipe the top edges of the bottom half of the cup, and put it all back together. Once fixed, it stays fixed until the next night or two when it happens again when connecting the mask to the Climateline hose. I am extremely careful not to overfill the cup and to keep it level when carrying it and sliding it into the unit.

The whining is becoming a more frequent problem and I've noticed that the large square seal and interior of the cup accumulate a whole lot of condensation which forms during the time that the full cup sits unused in the unit from morning until it's used at night. This seems to happen whether or not the unit is turned off during the day. It also happened when I kept the filled cup out of the unit and opened a bit. I'm not aware of rainout appearing in my mask.

Last night a new problem occurred. Frequent short whistles disturbed me while I slept, and once I got up in the morning I saw my water had been almost entirely used up. While that may be a clue to my problem, it's also my understanding that even with an empty cup, there shouldn't be whistling.

Is any of this likely to be caused by humidity or temperature settings? Is there anything obvious going on here? Thank you in advance.

LSAT

Re: Running out of ideas: Airsense 10 whining/whistling

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:58 pm

I'm not familiar with that machine, but it certainly sounds like a seal leak or a hose leak. In my opinion, cleaning the reservoir every night will shorten the life of the seal. I have the S9 machine and in the 2+ years that I have been using it, I have opened the top for cleaning about 10-12 times. I just fill it from the top every 2 nights.

brightcrow

Post by brightcrow » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:05 pm

As recommended, I wash the reservoir and seal every two days in mild detergent. If I go even 3 days, pink bacteria begins to grow inside. Once a week I wash and then soak everything in a diluted vinegar solution. I wish Resmed sold the seals separately.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:42 pm

I believe the different colors on the tub are for the regular (white) tub and dishwasher safe (gray) tub. My (white) tub sometimes whines and I squeeze down on the seal and push in till it is snug. If you decide to try another tub Cpap.com is having a sale. Here is the dishwasher safe link. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ct-image-1 And I believe Holiday 16 is for free shipping.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

brightcrow

Post by brightcrow » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:59 pm

OkyDoky wrote:I believe the different colors on the tub are for the regular (white) tub and dishwasher safe (gray) tub. My (white) tub sometimes whines and I squeeze down on the seal and push in till it is snug. If you decide to try another tub Cpap.com is having a sale. Here is the dishwasher safe link. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ct-image-1 And I believe Holiday 16 is for free shipping.
Thank you for the link and advice! But I'm confused. I'm not sure what you mean by "squeeze down on the seal and push in till it is snug". Do you mean with the reservoir inside the unit, you are externally pushing and squeezing something? I just slide the assembled reservoir into the unit until it clicks, no pushing or squeezing. Is that not enough to make it snug? Maybe I'm doing this wrong all this time. Is that white plastic thing something functional that requires pushing and squeezing? Or do you mean, with the reservoir open, verifying that the seal is placed properly into the top section?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:33 pm

brightcrow wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:I believe the different colors on the tub are for the regular (white) tub and dishwasher safe (gray) tub. My (white) tub sometimes whines and I squeeze down on the seal and push in till it is snug. If you decide to try another tub Cpap.com is having a sale. Here is the dishwasher safe link. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ct-image-1 And I believe Holiday 16 is for free shipping.
Thank you for the link and advice! But I'm confused. I'm not sure what you mean by "squeeze down on the seal and push in till it is snug". Do you mean with the reservoir inside the unit, you are externally pushing and squeezing something? I just slide the assembled reservoir into the unit until it clicks, no pushing or squeezing. Is that not enough to make it snug? Maybe I'm doing this wrong all this time. Is that white plastic thing something functional that requires pushing and squeezing? Or do you mean, with the reservoir open, verifying that the seal is placed properly into the top section?
The white thing is just a grip area. Sometimes I don't get my tub in completely apparently, because when it whines I grab the top, where the white is, and bottom edge of the tub and push in to be sure it is in place. When I do this it quits making noise. It doesn't happen often and I have been using this one about 1 1/2 years.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

brightcrow

Post by brightcrow » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Thank you. I have tried that in the past with no luck.

Thanks LSAT for the reminder. Considering that with my cleaning regimen my nasal pillows need replacing every 3-4 weeks due to loss in seal, it makes sense I might just need to replace the chamber seal, which of course means the whole chamber unit. I have a backup one and will try it tonight.

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:22 am

LSAT wrote: I just fill it from the top every 2 nights.
You can't fill in the water tank of the Airsense 10 humidifier without removing it first.

slackard

Post by slackard » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:53 am

I placed two layers of 3/8" thick soft foam rubber under the machine. No more moaning noise. Amazon sells the pads.