I'm new, and am worried if I am re-infecting...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rogervan

I'm new, and am worried if I am re-infecting...

Post by Rogervan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:18 am

Hello,
I'm new here, and I'm new to C-PAP therapy. Actually I have a Bi-PAP.

I've been suffering from a really bad chest and throat virus, since December 12 or so. I've had two or three relapses, which is unheard of for me. This disease is wiping out many people in this county. Everyone says it is the worst respiratory infection ever.

I'm concerned that I am re-infecting myself continuously by using the device. I admit I haven't been cleaning it as described in the manual. I just figured viruses would not be washed away with mild soap and water. But now I'm using 1/3 cup white vinegar in one cup distilled water to rinse the mask and the heated tube every day. I let the items sit for 1/2 hour, then rinse them with distilled water. Then I connect them to the device to blow dry.

Does anybody have suspicion they re-infect themselves with the machines?

Thx, Roger

Janknitz

Re: I'm new, and am worried if I am re-infecting...

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:38 am

Once you have a virus your body will build the antibodies to prevent it, right? That's how vaccines work. You should check in with your doctor to see if you might have a secondary bacterial infection if you are running a fever or having lung issues. The mucous from the viral infection makes a nice cozy breeding ground for bacteria in your own body to create a secondary infection sometimes, it has nothing to do with your CPAP.

What could be related to the CPAP is the humidity setting. Too much or too little humidity can cause the congesgion and symptoms that FEEL like the symptoms of your viral infection. I'd suspect this if you are not running a fever and feeling bad later in the day from your symptoms. In which case you should slowly and methodically adjust the humidity up or down one notch per every day or few days to see if it helps.

Imho, washing the hose daily invites bacteria to move in to the residual moisture that you can never quite get out of the hose. I think daily washing is counterproductive.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 am

No. If your body has really defeated the bacterium or virus causing your distress, then you should have developed antibodies against it which will prevent re-infection for months. Re-infection from environmental surfaces, toothbrushes, cpap hoses etc. is a myth. But if you have an autoimmune disease or are otherwise compromised, then all bets are off. Your best bet is to bug your primary doctor about it.

It's common, however, for one to contract multiple infections simultaneously. Each might have different manifestations and can take longer for the body to eradicate than the others.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:51 am

I originally got on CPAP because I was having bouts of bronchitis about every 6 weeks for a couple of years. Doc referred me to a pulmonologist whose third question to me was, "Have you ever had a sleep study?" It turned out my undiagnosed OSA was severe, and lack of real sleep had beaten down my immune system to the point where I kept getting bronchitis. After starting CPAP, I've never had bronchitis again, and rarely even get a cold.

Pulmonologist said he advises his patients to regularly snort saline nasal spray every night before going to bed. He said squirt the stuff in your nose until you can feel it running down the back of your throat. That was good advice. The Strep. bacteria that inhabit the back of the throat/nasal passages are susceptible to high salt concentration. I now make my own saline spray of about 3% saline, same as seawater.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Rogervan wrote:Does anybody have suspicion they re-infect themselves with the machines?
No, you don't get the same virus twice unless you have no or a very low immune system. If you have an immune system issue that is something your doctor would need to look at.

You can pickup variants of a virus you have not been exposed to, but you get that from other people not from yourself.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 pm

I think what might be happening is just an old fashioned relapse that just happens for some unknown reason.
I most likely had this bug around Thanksgiving and got better and around Christmas it decided to return and the cough and yucky feeling persisted. The cough was probably the worse thing for me but both times it was preceded by a minor sore throat. The cough was worse the second time around and is just now going away.

Now it is possible that the second go round was an entirely different virus/bacteria or maybe it was the first one and I just never really got good and over it.

I DON'T think that I was reinfecting myself with my cpap stuff. That I am absolutely sure of.
Nor do I think my toothbrush reinfected me...which if reinfection were possible the toothbrush might be a more likely culprit anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:After starting CPAP, I've never had bronchitis again, and rarely even get a cold.
I have to agree with this. Since starting cpap I seldom get a cold and the few times I did I know it was from the sneezing, coughing cashier at the store but it doesn't last long and is not usu severe.

I don't see how I can catch a cold from me anyway. I don't wash the mask, hose, or humidifier and think when we do we cause other problems including allowing in dust and bacteria esp. if you are cleaning or hanging things to dry in your bathroom.

I wonder if the OP is tracking his therapy with software and if it is effective - it seems to me it may not be but if it is then time to look for a good sleep doc who is a pulmonologist.

I think we are finding out our children don't build a strong immune system because of the sterile lifestyle parents try to give them. The other question is if OP has children at home - they are like petri dishes.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:11 pm

Stop listening to those STUPID commercials on late night radio shows!
There is NO BASIS IN FACT.
Every claim they make is based on GREED, not fact. Ignore them.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Chinese proverb:

The first child you raise like a prince,
The second one you raise like a pig.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:52 am

If it makes you feel better, buy a bottle of Control III disinfectant from our host, cpap.com.

READ THE DIRECTIONS!!!

The full strength solution is pretty nasty, but you dilute it 1 ounce per gallon. Don't drink it or get it in your eyes, but otherwise, the diluted mix is pretty benign.

Clean your tank, mask, and soak them in the Control III.

However, I doubt you've been reinfecting yourself in that short of a time period. You had billions of whatever germ you have living in your body. Sucking a few of them back into your body less than a month later is unlikely to have much of an effect on you.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.