Not sure if this is a taboo topic around here but..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cliffspab

Re: Not sure if this is a taboo topic around here but..

Post by cliffspab » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:44 am

Weed, Xanax, alcohol (not at the same time!) all reduce my AHI. No idea why.

aspen

Post by aspen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:01 pm

I just tried sativex for two weeks (synthetic THC/CBD available in Canada).

I have the biggest problem with clear away events.

The sativex obliterated the central apnea. I usually have 9-10 per night; low, but I wake up so sleep is fragmented.

I had 2 in two weeks of sativex use. No other changes. I felt like super woman lol.

I need a stimulant to keep breathing, and I need a cns depressant to sleep through apnea. So the CBD/thc was perfect. Unfortunately it hurt my mouth.

But yeah, depending on a persons set of issues I think there is something to it.

ankspondy

Post by ankspondy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:13 pm

kteague wrote:Just a suggestion. Take some time and don't look at your numbers, but journal how you feel for a while then go back and fill in the numbers. Good way to see if our perception of the success of our treatment is being influenced by our numbers. I have no idea if weed can negatively impact the quality of sleep (sleep stages) like alcohol or not. That would be my main thing to look into. As one with lung disease, smoking anything isn't an option for me, but if I thought medical MJ in another form could benefit me, I'd try it. At your pressures, you might find a bi-level machine easier to tolerate and thus help some of your sleep issues and the need for sleep aids.

Thank you for your input. Suggestion of maybe bipap wouldn't be a bad idea. Let me ask my doc next time I see him.
Machine: Phillips Respironics Dreammachine
Mask: RESMED F-10

ankspondy

Post by ankspondy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:16 pm

xxyzx wrote:
ankspondy wrote:Do we have any stoners out here with OSA?

I've been 'experimenting' with it and I have to say my AHI has been consistently <1.00 and I'm having the best sleep quality of my life.

What I've noticed is that it helps me relax a lot more and be able to 'tolerate' the higher pressures that I seem to be needing. I'm at APAP (16-20 with a ramp at 13).

The other day I even had an AHI of 0.00!!
=========

or you are too stoned to notice how bad things really are ?????

how do you feel
do you get sleepy in the daytime
do you have other problems like concentrating

can you solve complex problems easily
Lol functionally I am doing just fine.

I don't smoke during the day only before bedtime.

And lately I've felt better than I ever have in my entire life. And I've been having this issue since I was a child.
Last edited by ankspondy on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:51 pm

ankspondy wrote:
I mean to be fair, even I'm surprised I have been needing such a high pressure. I'm a SKINNY GUY! You would never guess.
When I started out with CPAP, my pressure hit 18 or 20 several times during the night. The sleep doctor that looked at my titration study, prescribed a BiPAP with pressure setting 24 IPAP/18 EPAP. I refused and used APAP set to 18 - 20.

Eventually, I added a firm foam cervical collar to my process. That shave about 6 cm off my pressure with AHI<1.0.

The collar helps prevent jaw drop and keeps the neck in the best position for airway patency.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DMI-Universa ... e/23057188

(I am slim.)

Comfortably Numb

Post by Comfortably Numb » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Do we have any stoners out here with OSA?

Absolutely! But weed tends to stimulate rather than sedate me. As you probably know, various Indica strains are known to promote sleep:
https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-pro ... r-insomnia Edibles would be a better choice than smoking. No harm to your lungs and a much more lasting effect.

Personally, I'm trying to ween off of everything immediately before bed except for about 5 mg. of melatonin. I had been using Xanax nightly for years, but I'm getting away from that. Keeping up with things on Sleepy Head + getting a more restful sleep as naturally as possible are reinforcing and where I want to be headed. After relying on substances for so long, it's nice to be able to see good sleep therapy results without the drugs.

ankspondy

Post by ankspondy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
ankspondy wrote:
I mean to be fair, even I'm surprised I have been needing such a high pressure. I'm a SKINNY GUY! You would never guess.
When I started out with CPAP, my pressure hit 18 or 20 several times during the night. The sleep doctor that looked at my titration study, prescribed a BiPAP with pressure setting 24 IPAP/18 EPAP. I refused and used APAP set to 18 - 20.

Eventually, I added a firm foam cervical collar to my process. That shave about 6 cm off my pressure with AHI<1.0.

The collar helps prevent jaw drop and keeps the neck in the best position for airway patency.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DMI-Universa ... e/23057188

(I am slim.)
Wow.. a cervical collar? Just when you think we CPAP-ers don't already wear enough head gear to sleep..

Helpful Guest :-)

Post by Helpful Guest :-) » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Comfortably Numb wrote:various Indica strains are known to promote sleep:
The very best sleep aid known to man is (drumroll please) ....

Exercise.

ankspondy

Post by ankspondy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Helpful Guest wrote:

Exercise.
Not a problem there. I'm an avid biker.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Helpful Guest wrote:

Exercise.
I run, before bed, it's almost 15 feet to bed, wears me out! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:53 pm

ankspondy wrote:Not a problem there. I'm an avid biker.
Then I guess you need to find out why you need (feel you need) a sleep aid.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:58 pm

ankspondy wrote:
Wow.. a cervical collar? Just when you think we CPAP-ers don't already wear enough head gear to sleep..
Another way to look at it: "If you are going to wear all that gear, why stop one piece short of comfort and effective therapy?"

Helpful Guest :-)

Post by Helpful Guest :-) » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:17 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
ankspondy wrote:
Another way to look at it: "If you are going to wear all that gear, why stop one piece short of comfort and effective therapy?"
One piece you might want to try adding that could save some of the other pieces.

Consider sleeping with a sports mouthguard in your mouth. Initially, it caused my mouth to water (drool) some but the end result was I was conscious of sleeping with my mouth closed. The mouthguard can also help if you have bruxism. IF that helps you can get one from your dentist for about $300 or try ordering on Amazon there are several diff. ones there for much less.
HTH

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:38 pm

And the frog suggests chin up strips, a shape in tape that helps you keep your mouth closed without taping it shut.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 am

Consider sleeping with a sports mouthguard in your mouth.
Whatever works for you. Personally, I would rather wear something around my neck instead of stuffing a device in my mouth.

Stored away here at the house are several boil-n-bite mouthpieces, a Dr. Sue NoseBreath, aveo TSD, a SomnoGuard adjustable and two $1700 TAPs.

None of the mouthpieces are comfortable, and none hold the neck in the correct position. Except for the TAP, none stop the jaw from dropping.