Dreamstation opinions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TooNew

Dreamstation opinions?

Post by TooNew » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:50 am

Just had my titration and the world is still here

Seem to be more tired than before

Anyway, my local VA provides the Dreamstation CPAP machine and I was wondering if this is a decent machine, how well it works, and what people think of it in general...

Thanks,

tiredNorlando

Re: Dreamstation opinions?

Post by tiredNorlando » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:05 am

I've had mine for 2 weeks now, I love this machine! Haven't slept this good in my entire life!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:06 am

I have used the DreamStation model but I have used all the models since the M series Respironics in not only their cpap/apap models but some of the various bilevel models. It's a very good machine or I wouldn't have owned so many of them. The reason I change machines...because I can and I like to experiment and I yield to the lure of the "latest and greatest" of anything. There are some minor differences between the ResMed and the Respironics machines but they are minor and none are deal breakers or deal makers.

Given your history and the chance of UARS ....and the fact that the Respironics devices flag RERAs (which may or may not be a factor with UARS) routinely I think it might be a good choice for you.

Do make sure that they provide the auto and not the fixed cpap model. You are going to want the auto model because it also flags Flow limitations as separate events but only in auto (apap) mode.

There's the DreamStation CPAP model #DSX200xxx....fixed pressure and a half assed brick with minimal data and NOT the data you are going to potentially find useful.
Theres' the DreamStation Pro model DSX400xxx (the xxx are letter coding for various combinations of heated hose or non heated hose, etc)
...fixed pressure and full data BUT it doesn't flag FLs and in your situation I think FL flagging would potentially be very important. It does offer a limited time in trial apap mode and in your situation I think that you need full time apap mode available.

There's the DreamStation Auto CPAP model DSX500xxx...this is the one you want and I think it is what the VA normally dispenses..
So check the model numbers to make sure.

Respironics auto algorithm is generally thought of as not quite as aggressive as the ResMed auto algorithm. Sometimes the ResMed is preferable for some people but in your situation since your main problem isn't OAs...I think the kinder gentler approach of the Respironics would be a plus.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:08 am

A big +1 for everything that Pugsy just said. Reread and make sure you understand what she's written about the model numbers.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:18 am

All I've had since I started CPAP a year and a half ago is a DreamStation Auto, model 500X110. It was initially set on fixed pressure, which I had mixed results with, but since it was switched to Auto mode, I've had great success. Love it. It's so quiet that Hubby says he sometimes checks to make sure I'm still breathing.

TooNew

Post by TooNew » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:22 am

robysue wrote:A big +1 for everything that Pugsy just said. Reread and make sure you understand what she's written about the model numbers.
I don't know that I have a choice with the original issue. I will probably get it next week. I know I have to get them to order the Dreamwear mask since they don't stock it. A hose in front is just way too cumbersome for stomach sleepers - at least for me.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:27 am

You won't have a choice in the matter but the VA has, in the past, dispensed full data auto adjusting apap capable machines routinely.
Let's see what you get and go from there.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 am

I have a Phillips Respironics Dream Station Auto CPAP. It’s my fourth machine since 1999; the others were all “bricks.” Here's my review the good and the bad.

Advantages:
• Automatic means that it will raise the pressure as needed when it senses distress. I think I fell more refreshed than before.
• Good statistics are generated, so you can see how you slept, and make adjustments as needed. In addition, stats are good for your doctor to see how you are doing.
• Machine is very quiet.
• Heated hose is very good, never had rainout despite full setting on humidity.
• Automatic altitude adjustment (good for travel).
• Leak compensation.
• Auto/on and auto/off can be activated and deactivated separately.
• Humidifier is fully integrated, but detachable. It can be replaced/repaired independently of the main unit. It can also be left behind to save space (if you can live without the humidification).
• Humidifier chamber is wide open on top, making it easy to fill, empty, and clean. The unit is sealed when the door over the chamber is closed.
• Puts out the prescribed pressure more precisely than my old machine (yes, I verified this).

Disadvantages:
• Machine is a bit larger than the major competing machine.
• Sometimes, there is a burning smell, especially after a potty break. I’m pretty sure it’s harmless.
• Frequently, the water does not last the whole night. I generally wake up at least once overnight, so I refill it at that time. This might not work for everybody.
• Some have complained about the brightness of the display when you turn it off and back on, such as for a potty break. I don’t find this a problem. In fact, I use the light to reattach my mask to the hose.
• The “full” line on the water tank is hard to see.
• The machine is somewhat noisier when used without the humidifier attached.
• The power cord has a proprietary signal, so you cannot use a different cord, even if the voltage, wattage, amperage, and fitting are all identical. This means that if you need a replacement cord (or a spare cord), you have to get the cord specific to Dream Stations. If you want to use a battery (such as for camping and electrical outages), you have to buy an $80 proprietary device to generate this signal.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi DH,

I am trying to find out just what that cord is that is needed to attach to a battery. I have 2 lithium ion batteries that I use with my Phillips 560 System One. My machine is due to be replaced and I do not want to buy new batteries but can't figure out what cord I need. Do you know? Thanks.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:20 pm

D H. wrote: If you want to use a battery (such as for camping and electrical outages), you have to buy an $80 proprietary device to generate this signal.
jagzoo wrote:Hi DH,

I am trying to find out just what that cord is that is needed to attach to a battery. I have 2 lithium ion batteries that I use with my Phillips 560 System One. My machine is due to be replaced and I do not want to buy new batteries but can't figure out what cord I need. Do you know? Thanks.
I think this is the cord you want for the DreamStation
Shielded DC Cord for DreamStation CPAP Machines
it's $30. the Resmed cord is $70 @ cpap com but I think they will price match if you find a better price.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:30 pm

D.H. wrote: Disadvantages:
• Some have complained about the brightness of the display when you turn it off and back on, such as for a potty break. I don’t find this a problem. In fact, I use the light to reattach my mask to the hose.
There is DreamStation firmware update available at apneaboard that makes the DreamStation dim that way too bright display based on the ambient light in the room. Once I installed it, I was immediately much, much happier with the display, particularly since I go to bed much later than hubby AND I turn the machine off and back on every time I wake up, which is typically 2-4 times a night.

So if you have a DreamStation and the display is way too bright, check to see what the firmware is. If it's anything before Firmware 1.1.1, get the update and the display will then properly dim.

What I don't understand is why PR took the option of just turning the back light off altogether away. On Hubby's System One Series 60, you can do that. So his machine doesn't light up the sky when he comes back to bed at the start of his second "sleep period".