dry mouth medication

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
betfred60

dry mouth medication

Post by betfred60 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:24 am

HI EVERY ONE I AM NEW TO MY CPAP RESMED F10 MACHINE AS STARTED USING IT LAST WEEK ,BUT FIND I HAVE A REALLY DRY MOUTH AND MOUTH ULCERS ,I HAVE A HUMIDIFIER BUT STILL SAME, BEEN TO MY GP BUT HE WONT PERSCRIBE ME ANYTHING AS HE IS A SORT OFF PUT UP WITH IT GP,!!! IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN GET FROM THE CHEMIST FOR IT AND ANY HOW MUCH IT COSTS ,THANKS IN ADVANCE, X

Bertha deBlues

Re: dry mouth medication

Post by Bertha deBlues » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am

betfred60 wrote:HI EVERY ONE I AM NEW TO MY CPAP RESMED F10 MACHINE AS STARTED USING IT LAST WEEK ,BUT FIND I HAVE A REALLY DRY MOUTH AND MOUTH ULCERS ,I HAVE A HUMIDIFIER BUT STILL SAME, BEEN TO MY GP BUT HE WONT PERSCRIBE ME ANYTHING AS HE IS A SORT OFF PUT UP WITH IT GP,!!! IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN GET FROM THE CHEMIST FOR IT AND ANY HOW MUCH IT COSTS ,THANKS IN ADVANCE, X
Hi betfred60. There are people here with much more knowledge than I can offer you. I sometimes have a bit of dry mouth from air leaking from my lips, so I keep a bottle of Biotene spray on my nightstand to use when I wake up with dry mouth. There's also a gel you can use. Hang in there for help from those in the know.

P.S. Please turn off your caps lock, as it makes your post more difficult to read.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:34 am

What setting on the humidifier are you using and are you using the heated hose or non heated hose?

Please don't use all caps. It makes it hard to read plus it's considering "shouting" and it's annoying.

There is no medication for dry mouth per se...we usually try to fix the cause of the dry mouth or add products designed to add moisture back into the mouth...lots of them on the market...like Biotene, etc.
There is no pill or chemical to fix dry mouth...sorry.
Dry mouth is a common complaint from cpap users even when using the humidifier maxed out and a full face mask.
It's the mouth breathing that dries out the mouth. Some people just get a dry mouth from the least little amount of mouth breathing.

Do you have chronic nasal congestion issues that might cause you to have to mouth breathe?
Do you take any medications that might make potential dry mouth happen more easily?

Last edited by Pugsy on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:40 am

betfred60 wrote:HI EVERY ONE I AM NEW TO MY CPAP RESMED F10 MACHINE AS STARTED USING IT LAST WEEK ,BUT FIND I HAVE A REALLY DRY MOUTH AND MOUTH ULCERS ,I HAVE A HUMIDIFIER BUT STILL SAME, BEEN TO MY GP BUT HE WONT PERSCRIBE ME ANYTHING AS HE IS A SORT OFF PUT UP WITH IT GP,!!! IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN GET FROM THE CHEMIST FOR IT AND ANY HOW MUCH IT COSTS ,THANKS IN ADVANCE, X
The F10 is a full face mask...not a machine. If you are using the Airsense 10, is it an Autoset, Elite or CPAP? It sounds like you are in Britain...can you change doctors?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:52 am

xxyzx wrote:use lower case so we can read faster better easier

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi Betfred60, I'm new to cpap too. Can you ask your doctor if rinsing your mouth with warm salt water might help sooth the ulcers and dryness? I remember my grandmother doing that, but I don't know if it is medically advisable or not. I hope you find some relief soon.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:14 pm

hi, betfred60! the mention of "chemist" makes me think you aren't in the US. so not sure if this is available to you, but i use XyliMelts. it's a lozenge that you hold between teeth and gums. there is a slightly sticky side meant to adhere to the tooth.

i pop two in place just before bed time and it provides enough moisture to last me through the night.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg