Change in RX--Did it Happen?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lahree

Change in RX--Did it Happen?

Post by Lahree » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:51 am

When I got my Respironics Dreamstation Auto Flex CPAP about three weeks ago, the range setting on it was 4-20. After using it about 1 week or so, I called my DME and asked that the minimum please be set higher--like a 7--because I felt I was starving for air. The DME told me that it was a prescription and that I would need to have my RX changed by my physician. I called my physician's office and explained the problem and the receptionist said she would give the info to the doctor. The next night when I turned on my machine, the screen now read "7" instead of "4." I figured that the magic had happened and that the doctor gave an OK to increase the minimum pressure. Or did she?

My machine has a place to show "prescription changes" and nothing shows there to indicate that the RX has changed. I have also been told by other CPAP users that Sleepyhead and Dreammapper would automatically adjust their information to any new settings, but both programs still show minimum pressure at "4."

When I turn on the machine, it definitely shows a 7 pressure and my average pressure on my statistics is almost always in the 9's. I haven't really been paying attention to my minimum pressure readings because I assumed that it is seven. However, I noticed last night my minimum pressure shows 6.10, so I started looking back over the past week's minimum pressure and I have all sorts of numbers with the lowest being 4.90 (some in the 5 range and 6 range).

Does anyone have an idea on what is going on?

Pugsy

Re: Change in RX--Did it Happen?

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:54 am

You are using Flex exhale relief ?????

If so, the minimum you see reported is what happens with the Flex relief drop during exhale. No big deal and entirely to be expected.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:23 am

For what it's worth, you can manage your therapy yourself. Be careful, educate yourself and be patient.

Sheriff

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:29 am

Sleepyhead has my machine as: Auto CPAP.

Dreammapper has it listed as : Auto CPAP with A-Flex. I thought an "auto" meant that there was adjustments in pressure that adjusted to breathing events. I didn't realize that it was a exhale comfort feature.

My Dreammapper still shows my minimum ramp pressure at 4.0. When I turn on my machine, the ramp pressure show 7. On a few occasions, when I have gotten up to use the restroom, I have hit the big button and have seen the pressure reading at a 5.5ish reading? I am confused.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:54 am

Lahree wrote:Sleepyhead has my machine as: Auto CPAP.

Dreammapper has it listed as : Auto CPAP with A-Flex. I thought an "auto" meant that there was adjustments in pressure that adjusted to breathing events. I didn't realize that it was a exhale comfort feature.

My Dreammapper still shows my minimum ramp pressure at 4.0. When I turn on my machine, the ramp pressure show 7. On a few occasions, when I have gotten up to use the restroom, I have hit the big button and have seen the pressure reading at a 5.5ish reading? I am confused.
CPAP = Constant pressure
APAP = Adjustable pressure
C-flex = pressure relief when machine is in CPAP mode
A-flex = pressure relief when machine is in AutoPap mode.

(at least, that's my understanding)
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:59 am

Lahree wrote: I thought an "auto" meant that there was adjustments in pressure that adjusted to breathing events.
That's correct. And your machine also has the A-Flex feature for exhale relief, which can be turned on or off as you find comfortable.

In Sleepyhead, on the Statistics page, your prescription changes are logged at the bottom of the screen. Do you see the recent change you requested? If not, then I suggest you call your doctor and ask for an explanation of exactly what they did in response to that request, given what you've told us about the 7 showing on your lcd screen.

Do you have the Clinician's manual for your machine? You can request a copy from the Apnea Board:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual, and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
With that manual, you will be able to make your own setting changes, if you are comfortable doing that.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:22 am

Bertha deBlues wrote:
Lahree wrote:Sleepyhead has my machine as: Auto CPAP.

CPAP = Constant pressure
APAP = Adjustable pressure
C-flex = pressure relief when machine is in CPAP mode
A-flex = pressure relief when machine is in AutoPap mode.

(at least, that's my understanding)
Thanks so much! That makes it clearer for me.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:30 am

Soothest Sleep wrote:
Lahree wrote: I thought an "auto" meant that there was adjustments in pressure that adjusted to breathing events.
That's correct. And your machine also has the A-Flex feature for exhale relief, which can be turned on or off as you find comfortable.

In Sleepyhead, on the Statistics page, your prescription changes are logged at the bottom of the screen. Do you see the recent change you requested? If not, then I suggest you call your doctor and ask for an explanation of exactly what they did in response to that request, given what you've told us about the 7 showing on your lcd screen.

Do you have the Clinician's manual for your machine? You can request a copy from the Apnea Board:
http://wwwapneaboardcom/adjust-cpap-pre ... tup-manual, and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
With that manual, you will be able to make your own setting changes, if you are comfortable doing that.

Jean
No, I don't see a RX change, so I will definitely follow-up with the doctor.

Yes, I have the user manual but I did not realize that I can make some changes to my settings! The time I spent at the DME was VERY limited. She wanted me OUT! LOL. No time for a lot of questions. VERY impatient. This last time I was there, when I was switching masks and had the new mask on, she turned on the machine and then picked up her phone and was texting! I couldn't say anything then, because I had a nasal mask on, but when I was done, I politely but firmly asked her, if for the short time I was in the office, that she pay attention to ME. She just shrugged and said ok. Good grief.

I am feeling way more educated about my therapy since I have joined this board.

I thank you all!!

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 am

Guest wrote: I have the user manual
Just to be clear, the user manual (which is given to you with the machine) is a different one from the Clinician (or Provider) manual. The latter can tell you how to get into the Provider area where you can make your own prescription changes (if you are comfortable doing that); the user manual only covers the "comfort" settings. Even if you don't want to make your own changes, both the manuals are essential reading to help you understand your machine and the treatment it can give you.

As you have discovered, some DMEs don't seem to "put the customer first." Many of us have educated ourselves so we can optimize our treatment, with or without help from the DME.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:12 am

Soothest Sleep wrote:
Guest wrote: I have the user manual
Just to be clear, the user manual (which is given to you with the machine) is a different one from the Clinician (or Provider) manual. The latter can tell you how to get into the Provider area where you can make your own prescription changes (if you are comfortable doing that); the user manual only covers the "comfort" settings. Even if you don't want to make your own changes, both the manuals are essential reading to help you understand your machine and the treatment it can give you.

As you have discovered, some DMEs don't seem to "put the customer first." Many of us have educated ourselves so we can optimize our treatment, with or without help from the DME.

Jean
OH! OK! User vs. Clinician Manual! Thanks so much for reiterating that! I will definitely look at the provider manual now!

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:06 am

Don't fuss around waiting for your DME (who obviously doesn't care about you anyway) or your doctor. Take charge of your own treatment, we are here to help you do that.

This link will show you how to change the settings yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OONNYjzTJTc

It's your treatment, all your insurance company is interested in is hours compliance.

Download Sleepyhead software and show us what's happening. The experts here will give you very good advice.