Forced by job to get testing and CPAP I don't need..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TedVPAP

Re: Forced by job to get testing and CPAP I don't need..

Post by TedVPAP » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 pm

sookiebulldog wrote:An update.. did over nite in lab test and just got results.. was able to actually sleep for 3 hours.. AHI 1.1 no signs of sleep apnea what so ever, no snoring ect... confirms the home sleep tests are pretty much BS showing over 8.0 and 12.0 ahi (in my case vendor is making a good amount of money off me and the company so they want you to have a high AHI though).. A really BIG thank you for the advice and information from everyone who understood that I was frustrated shelling out $$$$ for being forced into a condition I had no symptoms of. Learned a lot about sleep apnea through the process. Best of luck to all who are living with Sleep Apnea thanks again...
Congrats and thanks for the update.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Glad it all worked out for you in the end. I'll second thanks for updating us.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:50 pm

I've been reading this thread with interest since your first post in Dec. Very happy to know you DON'T have sleep apnea. Some people automatically decide one has sleep apnea without hearing the official diagnosis, and insist that the person is in denial. Such is life on the forum.

Thank you for the update. Best of luck!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:44 am

Lucyhere wrote:I've been reading this thread with interest since your first post in Dec. Very happy to know you DON'T have sleep apnea. Some people automatically decide one has sleep apnea without hearing the official diagnosis, and insist that the person is in denial. Such is life on the forum.

Exactly LH. You know the motto, Guilty until proven innocent.

Sookiebulldog, congratulations, I am very happy for you.

49er

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Good news for you that the lab test contradicted the home study.
This is just more evidence that many home studies may be more appropriately used
for screening, followed by a lab study for confirmation.
Any research comparing home studies vs lab studies with respect to accuracy
should be readily accessible to anyone suspecting a misdiagnosis.
Any questions need to be cleared up with a minimum of fuss in order to maintain trust.

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Lucyhere wrote:I've been reading this thread with interest since your first post in Dec. Very happy to know you DON'T have sleep apnea. Some people automatically decide one has sleep apnea without hearing the official diagnosis, and insist that the person is in denial. Such is life on the forum.

That's bad, but understandable. Probably because most of us has gone through a denial phase and when we think someone is going the same way, we want to protect them. But sometimes we exaggerate
I was diagnosed on June of 2017 and took me almost 6 months to realize how bad was my sleep and how this was affecting my life. I mean, I'm on my 20's, I'm thin, tall, a man.. c'mon, this results are surely a false-positive, right? It's impossible that I had an AHI of 51 that night. And 2% of REM? Please... I won't ask my dad to spend a month of his salary with a bad-designed vacuum cleaner and some stupid Darth Vader mask.
Well, I believe everyone here knows how the story ends: you finally realize how low is your quality of life, or soon you might not have a life to measure it's quality
When we take the right decision, we wanna make sure that everyone else takes it too.
"Act as if the maxims of your action were to become through your will a universal law of nature." (KANT, Immanuel)

45011ohio

Post by 45011ohio » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:28 pm

I just joined the forum <1hr ago, but I know the feeling. Now you can tell your RAILROAD to stick-it with their mandated sleep studies. To many businesses have turned back the clocks to the 1920's or earlier when they could dictate to their employees everything in their personal lives with the threat of losing jobs if they do not comply. A persons private life should be just that .....PRIVATE!

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 am

Glad you were able to get some sleep at the lab and get the results you were hoping for.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:46 am

45011ohio wrote:I just joined the forum <1hr ago, but I know the feeling. Now you can tell your RAILROAD to stick-it with their mandated sleep studies. To many businesses have turned back the clocks to the 1920's or earlier when they could dictate to their employees everything in their personal lives with the threat of losing jobs if they do not comply. A persons private life should be just that .....PRIVATE!

Not when they work for the RR or are a Trucker. If there is the possibility of endangering lives.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:02 am

The mandated sleep study is key to public safety,
but the cost should not be a financial burden for the guy on the bottom.
Mental fitness "should" also be a condition of safety-sensitive jobs.
Psych-evals for pilots, please.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 am

chunkyfrog wrote:The mandated sleep study is key to public safety,
but the cost should not be a financial burden for the guy on the bottom.
Mental fitness "should" also be a condition of safety-sensitive jobs.
Psych-evals for pilots, please.
Please add a breath-O-lizer.......
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:15 am

Maybe on the yoke.
Unless he is sober, the plane won't leave the ground.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:00 pm

LSAT wrote:
45011ohio wrote:I just joined the forum <1hr ago, but I know the feeling. Now you can tell your RAILROAD to stick-it with their mandated sleep studies. To many businesses have turned back the clocks to the 1920's or earlier when they could dictate to their employees everything in their personal lives with the threat of losing jobs if they do not comply. A persons private life should be just that .....PRIVATE!

Not when they work for the RR or are a Trucker. If there is the possibility of endangering lives.
One's health is rarely a private matter, other than in the opinion of the person with the condition. One need not be driving a bus or a train nor flying a plane for that person's health to impact the lives of others. For example: Mary Mallon. In the early 1900s she worked as a cook for families in the New York City area. For several years she had changed jobs yearly and left a series of typhoid victims in her wake - earning her the sobriquet "Typhoid Mary." At the time of her death in 1938 her total victim count stood at 51 with 3 confirmed deaths (because she also was found to have worked under aliases, speculation is the actual total could be higher.) Throughout this period she violently opposed attempts to force her to be tested for the disease contending among other things that she was healthy and it was her business alone. http://time.com/3563182/typhoid-mary/ & http://www.history.com/news/10-things-y ... phoid-mary

Although her case may seem dated to some, the danger of health-related damages to others falls squarely on the shoulders of food workers, nursing and medical staff, cleaning staff in office buildings and lodging. The history of public health dangers rising out of the connection of "private issues" and public facilities is filled with examples. Such as Legionaire's Disease, traumatic brain injury, and virtually any of the many contagious diseases we deal with daily. If someone touches my food at any point in the chain I would hope their health is of concern to whomever is employing them.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:38 pm

I very often have second thoughts about eating out for such reasons. Now I'm never eating out again. lol

Where do you draw the line. Do you test everyone behind the wheel of a vehicle and so on?

sookiebulldog

Post by sookiebulldog » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm

The problem I see with the Railroads and Trucking companies mandating sleep apnea studies is the fact that they are getting contracts with these vendors who are doing the program with the only intent of $$$$... in my case they charged my insurance close to $4000 in the end plus I still have a lot of out of pocket expenses I have to now fight for reimbursements.. there are also plenty of other workers right now that are being told they want them to do the study AGAIN with their vendor this year even though they passed the sleep study the previous year. For me they will probably make me do the study once again next year and claim last years results don't count.. this means first getting a home sleep test... then doing an in-lab again... when they make contracts with the vendors they need a quota of participants ..