unsure about how to do this

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rob82568

unsure about how to do this

Post by Rob82568 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm

I just got my Cpap and last night I tried to use it only to frustrated and took it off. I have a full face mask and when I put the mask on the air starts blowing and I feel like I just stuck my head out the window of a
moving car and I am trying to breath. I can breath in ok but when I try to exhale it feels like I am having to force myself. Is this normal or is the machine set to high.. I got the self adjusting cpap if that matters.

Lucyhere

Re: unsure about how to do this

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 pm

In order to help we need to know what machine you are using, what mask you are using and your current pressure(s). That would be a good start. Someone else will pop in and tell you what more might be needed.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Hello and welcome. It would be helpful if you could go into your profile and add your equipment and settings etc. You'll be able to get more targeted replies. In general, what starts out feeling like a wind tunnel usually soon feels like no big deal. If that doesn't happen, some folks here can give you tips to see if there might be some tweaking of your settings that make it more comfortable. I won't try to go into any detail on that because your machine and settings will make a difference whether there is anything meaningful to say on that. Most times times this feeling wil self resolve or there are ways to manage it.

Rob82568

Post by Rob82568 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pm

I have a RESmart auto CPAP machine with RESlex with heated Humidifier and a ZZZ-Mask full face CPAP mask with headgear as for my pressures I have not been told what my pressures are

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Most newer machines have an Exhale relief setting....If you tell us what machine you are using we can help you

Rob82568

Post by Rob82568 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:19 pm

I just added my machine to my profile. I guess the problem I am really having is exhaling. It is hard to exhale when the air is blowing in my face, and the fact I don't really know anything about this. I got my machine and my other items off line and I have not hard anybody show me how to set it up or use it and the instructions with the machine and the mask are not really user friendly.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Your doctor should have a prescription for you re what pressures to use. You need to take more control of your condition and learn what pressures you have.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 pm

According to your equipment page your system has exhalation relief.
I assume a professional set your machine up initially for your prescription. You or they probably need to adjust the relief setting.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Rob82568

Post by Rob82568 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am

Thank you for all the answers. While I am still very new at this I was able to wear the mask a little longer last night. I did adjust the exhaust pressure so that I didn't feel like I was being chocked. I think now it is just a matter of getting over the trapped feeling with the mask on and getting used to no sleeping on my stomach. Thanks again.

DoubleB65

Post by DoubleB65 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Newbie here too...tonight marks two weeks since I started on CPAP. The first night or two was the toughest but now I don't even use the ramp feature on my unit because I prefer feeling like it's actually doing something when I put it on. I have for as long as I can remember been a mouth breather and for the first ten days I had a full mask...but found myself breathing less and less with my mouth. Because of that and due to some perspiration around the mask that was driving me crazy, I switched to a nasal mask. You learn real quick with the nasal only that when you open your mouth you have a rush of air come out...LOL...there are actually times now I need to feel the vent on my mask to make sure the unit is even working because I barely notice it.

I haven't noticed any real differences yet in the quality or quantity of my sleep...my AHI's are fluctuating drastically from night to night...and I was told that my machine can only be set by a professional? My main problem other than that is that I can't get the air through the mask cool enough to suit me, even when the heat unit and humidifier off.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Rob82568 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm
I can breath in ok but when I try to exhale it feels like I am having to force myself. Is this normal
It's not normal, but it is common. It's almost always a "mental thing". You are thinking about every breath and the pressure from the machine. If you manage to fall asleep, you breathe gently and rhythmically and exhale easily against the pressure. Once you learn how to relax and breathe naturally, you will be OK.

I am a small, elderly lady, and I can easily exhale against the highest machine pressure (20 cm H2O). But, when I first started CPAP, it took a couple of nights to learn to relax and breathe gently when the machine first started up.

Rob82568 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am
getting used to no sleeping on my stomach
If you prefer stomach sleeping, it's not so hard to do - http://www.uarsrelief.com/sleeppositions.html

Rob82568 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am
I think now it is just a matter of getting over the trapped feeling with the mask on
Yup, sounds like you are on your way to success.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:38 pm

DoubleB65 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm
I haven't noticed any real differences yet in the quality or quantity of my sleep...my AHI's are fluctuating drastically from night to night...and I was told that my machine can only be set by a professional?
Someone has told you some typical sleep industry BS. If you want more information/help, please start a new thread. Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

DoubleB65

Post by DoubleB65 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks....I did and have started trying to learn how to post my reports and so forth this evening. It's all a bit overwhelming to be honest...

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:03 pm

DoubleB65 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:53 pm
Thanks....I did and have started trying to learn how to post my reports and so forth this evening. It's all a bit overwhelming to be honest...
Yup, usually is. Take your time. Ask questions. If you start to get frustrated, lay it down and come back to it the next day. Eventually, you will wonder what seemed so hard.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:03 pm
DoubleB65 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:53 pm
Yup, usually is. Take your time. Ask questions. If you start to get frustrated, lay it down and come back to it the next day. Eventually, you will wonder what seemed so hard.
+1

i love going into a store where there is a new cashier being trained. i always tell them, in 2 months, you'll wonder why this all seemed so hard!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg