TAP PAP Nasal Pillow Mask - anyone tried it?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DaisySmith

TAP PAP Nasal Pillow Mask - anyone tried it?

Post by DaisySmith » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:28 pm

I found this mask
Link: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tap-pa ... roved.html

It seems too good to be true. I am still having issues with my Dreamwear leaking. The large frame is too loose and the medium is too tight (it creeps up). This tap pap mask supposedly has NO frame. I'd love to know if anyone has tried it...

(I see reviews on the site but not sure they're real reviews)

Pugsy

Re: TAP PAP Nasal Pillow Mask - anyone tried it?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 pm

I have used it (actually for a little more than a year until the P10 was released) and there's a review that I did and a few people added to so for real forum member reviews.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87232&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... Pap+review

The fact that I used it for over a year should speak volumes....I am not easy to please. :lol:

The biggest disadvantage to it is the teeth thing. There will be some tooth discomfort initially and fitting the mouth guard just perfect can be trial and error.
It took me about 2 weeks for the tooth discomfort wasn't happening but even when it was happening it wasn't horrible...it was just there for a short period of time each morning.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jack_Russel_Fan

Post by Jack_Russel_Fan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 pm

I've been using the Tap Pap for several years now. I switched from a FFM.

The Tap Pap is lightweight and you don't have the heavy straps as with many other masks. Minimal headgear is available if needed.

Tom

Machine: PRS1 760P

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:50 pm

I’ve posted a review on the pages referenced by Pugsy. After getting the fitting correct - don’t give up - it really was a great mask and completely strapless! Give it a try.

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 pm
I have used it (actually for a little more than a year until the P10 was released) and there's a review that I did and a few people added to so for real forum member reviews.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87232&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... Pap+review

The fact that I used it for over a year should speak volumes....I am not easy to please. :lol:

The biggest disadvantage to it is the teeth thing. There will be some tooth discomfort initially and fitting the mouth guard just perfect can be trial and error.
It took me about 2 weeks for the tooth discomfort wasn't happening but even when it was happening it wasn't horrible...it was just there for a short period of time each morning.
Ok that is very comprehensive. I wonder if Apria will pay for it or if they stock it. Anyone know? If not I'm going to order it asap. Its on sale for $63.20. I'm wondering how easy it'll be to transition from Dreamwear to this. I have never used a mask with just a strap and nasal pillows so I hope my nose can get used to the pillows

Chilibit

Post by Chilibit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 pm

I have used it for 4.5 years and have spares warehoused in case they stop producing it. I replace the mouthpieces every couple of years and I can fit them in ten minutes. The first one takes a bit longer because it is unknown territory.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:30 pm

I used it for several months, until I bought the improved mouthpiece.
I kept putting off fitting the mouthpiece until I finally put it away
in favor of my current mask.
Keeping the mouthpiece from getting disgusting is a pain.
I had orthodontics as a tween, and the retainer was NASTY.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:53 am

Been using it for a couple of years now...fits well, very little problem with leaks even for a side-sleeper, and no headgear. Very stable compared to most masks with headgear that can slide around and leak more as a result. A certain amount of leakage is fine and expected, but I've found as a side sleeper that I can have problems with that. I haven't had leakage problems with the TAP PAP. I do change the nasal pillows about every 6 months.

The cons for me are a slight drooling problem *smile*, and I worry a bit about using my teeth as an anchor. I know from having orthodonture a long time ago that teeth are movable and can loosen as well, and that worries me a bit. Nothing has happened so far though.

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:52 pm

So I got my mask, I put it in hot water and fit it to my teeth but now Im wondering. It feels very tight on my teeth no matter how many times I do it. I'm wondering if this will act as a dental device and change my teeth like braces do. Also does anyone feel concern about the teeth being totally covered 8 hours a day. It seems to be a good breeding ground for bacteria (and cavities). I just wonder over time how good this is for my teeth. I have say I love the feeling of no mask but just worry about my teeth.

Also do you wash it off with toothbrush and toothpaste daily?

Chilibit

Post by Chilibit » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 am

My experience is that you can control the initial tightness by reducing the vacuum you create during the initial forming to your teeth. Just don't try so hard. Regardless, it will settle into a comfortable fit after a while. I was overly zealous the first time as well. I use a toothbrush on it in the morning for a few seconds and that seems easy and effective. I doubt tooth paste is really necessary.

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:31 am

Has anyone shelled out the $30 for the upgraded mouthpiece?? I really dont like how hard the current one is. I wonder if the new one is softer. All reviews seem to be for the mask, not the new mouthpiece

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 am

The upgraded mouth guard you already got with the package so don't go buying another one...it is the same product.

The upgraded part is comparing the old original mouth guard to this new mouth guard which has been available for some years now.

You are sucking too hard during the fitting process. Common error people make. When the mouth guard is still a bit pliable we suck for a "good" fit and then when it cools it shrinks just a tiny bit more and its too snug.
Try this....run some hot water over the mouth guard to soften it just a little and then put it on and move it around just a little so it will loosen up just a bit and not fit quite so snugly.
Or go through the whole boil thing again but this time don't suck in quite so much. Stop with just a little looseness because when it finishes cooling off it will snug up just a little more.

It won't move your teeth but it will seem like it does as it will affect your bite a bit and will likely take a couple of hours in the morning for your bite to feel more normal. Nothing is really moving anywhere but it can feel like it does.
I discussed all this with the bite and teeth movement with my dentist and was told that it can't really move anything with just 6 to 8 hours of wearing out of 24 hours but the jaw muscles which affect what the bite feels like will need to learn to adjust a bit and not let the bite feel so "off". Took me a couple of weeks before the "bite" seemed to not be affected. Nothing ever actually moved but the memory of the jaw and bite position made it feel like it was moving.

If it worries you too much...go talk to your dentist about it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Last question....anyone feel lots of moisture in the nasal pillows? I woke up feeling wet in my nose. I dont use a humidifier and live in a dry climate

Avis

Post by Avis » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 am

I've been using the Tap Pap for a long time, maybe 10 or more years now. If you don't have any problem with your upper teeth, it's the ideal mask. The most advantage of this mask is that it is stable in your face and can move at night without leaking. Beside the fact that I don't use any strips, just the cushions touching my nose.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:42 am

Avis wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 am
I've been using the Tap Pap for a long time, maybe 10 or more years now.
Early 2013 was when it was first released.

I used it for over a year I guess it was until the P10 was released. Happened to be having some dental issues (not related to the mouth guard though) that required some attention and it meant repeated molding of the mouth guard to fit the teeth and that was more work than I wanted to do so I went to the P10 and never bothered going back to the TapPap. Just too lazy to refit the mouth guard again.

Now I use the Bleep....no head gear and no mouth guard to have to mess with.