Cpap and essential oil

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RodL1948

Re: Cpap and essential oil

Post by RodL1948 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:35 am
RodL1948 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 am
I have a Phillips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP. I don't know about any other machines, but on mine, the humidifier reservoir is the last place the air passes through before going out the hose to the mask. Other than maybe leaving a little residue in the tank, which is removable and easy to clean, I'm not sure how a few drops of essential oils in the water could harm my machine. :) :)
While it's true that the water chamber is the last in line for residue collection in terms of the machine itself...it's not last in line for residue collection in general and the last in line that I would worry about would be my lungs.
Not so easy to scrub the lungs. :lol:

I don't know if any of the oils would reach my lungs or not but I wouldn't want to take the chance myself.
Point well taken! Thanks.

Additional Comments: SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Best regards,

Rod

8) 8)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:42 pm

I guess that's why the HH manufacturers state not to use anything but distilled water in their HH tanks. :roll: Jim

You can buy replacement HH Tanks for a few $$$, Lungs, not so easy to replace and more costly.

Your nose gets used to smells, good and bad!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:20 pm

This was a question that was coming up 11 years ago when I joined this site. As I recall there was a product that originally started as in "in line" oil product. My memory might be sketchy but I believe they got into some hot water with some sort of regulatory agency and switched over to a product that came with a small dish, pads, and oils to put near the machine intake. Pretty sure that product is still being sold by cpap.com. Though I could be wrong. It has been 11 years.

Any reputable source for EO will tell you that they need to be PROPERLY diffused and not breathed in directly without any kind of dilution. Putting a pad with oils directly in your inhalation tube is a bad idea and not at all recommended by anyone who knows anything about oils and aromatherapy. Eucalypytus oil in particular has the potential to be a respiratory system depressant.....hence why it is not recommended for use in children under 10 or 12 years old. Oils are great. But they can also contain powerful compounds that are not suitable for direct inhalation or even direct skin contact.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Essential oils are quite concentrated.
A drop or 2 is usually quite enough, even at a distance.
The human nose can detect a minute trace of most oils, but more can be traumatizing.
Think about how unpleasant it can be to share space with a perfume freak.
These oils are aromatic, meaning that the molecules are easily carried in the air.
When the bullfrog mows the volunteer spearmint, the whole block can smell it.

Feralchild

Post by Feralchild » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:12 pm

I have a Phillips Respironics dreamstation as well. I've my been on it for about 90days so I won't pretend to be any type of expert. But what I have been doing that has been helping me tremendously; is sitting my cold water essential oil diffuser on the same table as my CPAP, as close or as far from the air intake as strength of diffuser calls for. I rinse my filter once a week in a mild solution of white vinegar and distilled water for 15 minutes, then rinse and let dry; this cleans any residue that is collecting on the filter. It also humidifys the air entering the machine so my CPAP barely requires any water. Does anyone think this is a bad idea for any reason ? I haven't seen anyone posting about this method of administration, good or bad. I don't like leaving essential oils open on the dresser because alot of like are toxic for animals, and I have 3 boxers

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Feralchild wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:12 pm
I have a Phillips Respironics dreamstation as well. I've my been on it for about 90days so I won't pretend to be any type of expert. But what I have been doing that has been helping me tremendously; is sitting my cold water essential oil diffuser on the same table as my CPAP, as close or as far from the air intake as strength of diffuser calls for. I rinse my filter once a week in a mild solution of white vinegar and distilled water for 15 minutes, then rinse and let dry; this cleans any residue that is collecting on the filter. It also humidifys the air entering the machine so my CPAP barely requires any water. Does anyone think this is a bad idea for any reason ? I haven't seen anyone posting about this method of administration, good or bad. I don't like leaving essential oils open on the dresser because alot of like are toxic for animals, and I have 3 boxers
If they are toxic for animals, I take it they are good for you! Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Feralchild

Post by Feralchild » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:37 pm

Actually, Animals do happen to be a topic I have the right to be a know it all about justifiably. Jim for your animals sake, if you have any; please research what essential oils are toxic to animals. Cats are different than dogs, as dogs are humans, so be specific in your search reguarding what species you are talking about. A good example would be, that there are organic pesticides that we as homosapiens could ingest an entire bottle of without more than minor irritations, however an ounce of that same pesticide can kill 500+ insects, and kill your cat.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:34 pm

Feralchild wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:37 pm
Actually, Animals do happen to be a topic I have the right to be a know it all about justifiably. Jim for your animals sake, if you have any; please research what essential oils are toxic to animals. Cats are different than dogs, as dogs are humans, so be specific in your search reguarding what species you are talking about. A good example would be, that there are organic pesticides that we as homosapiens could ingest an entire bottle of without more than minor irritations, however an ounce of that same pesticide can kill 500+ insects, and kill your cat.
I have No Animals, I don't use or breath Essential Oil, the only kind I use goes in my truck. :lol: Jim

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:36 pm

I absolutely LOVE using scents with my CPAP! I use the cpap and essential oils for naps, meditation, headache relief ... all with different scents.

I'm a sucker for boring old spearmint or peppermint though ... deeply inhaling mint just makes me soooooo happy!

...but you've got to change it up or you'll build a tolerance to the smell, so I have a whole cabinet of oils for all sorts of uses.

With the cpap, I always use the cotton pad by the air intake technique.

~~~Essential Oils are such a silver lining to having a cpap.
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.