First time flying with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ellen1159

First time flying with CPAP

Post by ellen1159 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Next weekend I will be taking my first airline flight with my Philips Respironic System 1 (2013 vintage). I don't use the humidifier in warmer weather so I'm just taking the unit, hose, mask and power cords. I have a carrying case but my gear won't take up the entire space, and I'd like to travel with just an onboard bag and my purse. Can I stuff it in my carryon bag or do I need to keep it in the DME-provided carrying case - and does this mean I have to check my carry on bag? Thanks.

Humidifier: Respironics heated humidifier
Mask: F&P Eson Nasal mask
(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

palerider

Re: First time flying with CPAP

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:30 pm

ellen1159 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:23 pm
Next weekend I will be taking my first airline flight with my Philips Respironic System 1 (2013 vintage). I don't use the humidifier in warmer weather so I'm just taking the unit, hose, mask and power cords. I have a carrying case but my gear won't take up the entire space, and I'd like to travel with just an onboard bag and my purse. Can I stuff it in my carryon bag or do I need to keep it in the DME-provided carrying case - and does this mean I have to check my carry on bag? Thanks.
You can do whatever you want.

If you have the cpap in its own bag, then it doesn't count against your carryon allowance (in the USA), since it's medical equipment.

Just don't ever check it, since you never know where checked luggage is going to go.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ellen1159

Post by ellen1159 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Do I need a sticker or tag on the case that says "Medical Equipment?"

(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:34 pm

ellen1159 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:23 pm
Can I stuff it in my carryon bag or do I need to keep it in the DME-provided carrying case - and does this mean I have to check my carry on bag?
If you stuff it into the carry-on bag, you run the risk that you are told at boarding that the carry-on bag needs to be checked. You could plead you have medical equipment in the bag, but whether that gets it on board with you would remain to be seen.

General advice is to never check your CPAP equipment. You have to decide whether the convenience of traveling with one less bag is worth the risk of having your CPAP equipment checked into the cargo hold.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:36 pm

ellen1159 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Do I need a sticker or tag on the case that says "Medical Equipment?"
It's not necessary if you carry the equipment in its own bag. So many CPAPs fly these days, airline personnel are used to seeing them. That said, I do like to use the tags.

ellen1159

Post by ellen1159 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:39 pm

one last question: are there free downloadable printable tags, or do I need to go to a medical supply place and purchase them? Thanks.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:59 pm

jjc155

Post by jjc155 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:36 pm

I put my cpap in its carrying case, which has a med equipment "luggage" tag on it and then the case goes in the backpack that I use as carry on. It only comes out to go through TSA. Never had an issue from domestic to international to big jets down to cessna caravans.

J-

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:54 pm

I am in the UK but fly every other week I keep you cpap in its own bag, and drop it over the handle of my carry on roller bag only one bag to drag arround and no additional space used by the apap.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:33 am

If I fly domestically I put the machine in my carry on backpack along with power supply and mask/hose. The humidifier goes into my checked luggage because I can live without it if I have to.

For long haul international I do the same but carry a HME to act as a humidifier if I know I am going to have to sleep on board. I have never labelled my equipment as medical. Some places want to see the machine (which is OK by me) so I carry it in large ziplock bag along with the mask. The power supply stays in my back pack. Other places have seen so many PAP machines that they just watch them go through the x-ray while it's in my backpack.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:09 am

I've flown with to four continents with CPAP. Sometimes, I was asked to take it out of the bag. I was challenged once on Myanmar domestic flight (after I boarded the plane), but I was able to convince them that I needed it and that it was not dangerous. Flying in the more developed world should be less of challenge.

Always carry it with you and in the original bag provided. If you don't put anything else in the bag then it can't be counted against your bag limit. I imagine that "anything else" would not include adapters, extension cords, and your medications.

smith972

Post by smith972 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:53 pm

If you have the cpap in its own bag, then it doesn't count against your carryon allowance (in the USA), since it's medical equipment.

Just don't ever check it, since you never know where checked luggage is going to go.
I did not know this. I am calling greyhound now...I thought I had to make room for it in my carry on bag. Thanks for the info

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:09 pm

smith972 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:53 pm

I did not know this. I am calling greyhound now...I thought I had to make room for it in my carry on bag. Thanks for the info
I'd pay extra to see a Greyhound take off! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire