Newly diagnosed OSA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kyela

Newly diagnosed OSA

Post by kyela » Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 am

Hello everyone, hope I am in the right portion of the forums if not I apologize.

My story goes a couple of weeks ago I had a sleep study done and just this past Friday I had my follow up with the neurologist to find out my results. I had found out that in a span of an hour I had stopped breathing over 100 times and my O2 stats dropped down to the mid 70’s. In the first 4 hours of my sleep study I did not go into deep sleep and no REM sleep either. So, the sleep tech put the CPAP machine on me and it was the first time in about a year that I slept for 4 hours straight.
My doctor said my pressure was set at 9 but there were small instances where my O2 stats dropped into the low 80’s but she said while on the CPAP I did not stay in the low 80’s for very long so she suggested that I would may do good on a smart CPAP machine. Right now, I am just having to wait for my insurance to approve it and the medical supply company to get a hold of me to get my new machine.
A little backstory in how I ended up with the sleep study, about a month prior I had bad ringing in my ear, and I ended up getting a consult to a ENT doctor which after his examination he ordered the sleep study. I am so grateful for that because for the past year I had a horrible sleeping patterns where I would wake up 5-6 times a night and at times I would feel like I was gasping for air and even coughing as if I was choking.

Thank you for reading my story.

K.

Jas_williams

Re: Newly diagnosed OSA

Post by Jas_williams » Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 am

welcome and good luck keep us informed who you get on

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon May 14, 2018 10:07 am

You'll be glad you found your way here so you can position yourself for your best chance at success with this treatment. With your severity, I'm betting that once you settle in you'll be very pleased. Do get a copy of your report. Often questions come up, and having it available for reference can expedite getting answers.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 am

Make sure what they think is a Smart CPAP machine is a Auto that collects full data, not a dumb-smart machine that only collects compliance data. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kyela

Post by kyela » Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 am

Thank you,
I will definately keep up to date here since it was just this past friday I am still trying to process everything, and along with it i am back in school since January 2018, so with being this much sleep deprived its been a HUGE struggle i am maintaing pretty good grades but i think once i am actually able to sleep I will function on a whole new level. I think I will call my doctor mid week here to get my report so i can actually see the numbers.

Oh and the smart CPAP my doctor prescribed tome was the "auto adjusting" type, but i am at the mercy of my insurance company as what they will approve and or allow unfortunately.

K~

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue May 15, 2018 5:14 pm

When you get it, please fill in your profile so we'll know exactly what equipment you have.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 pm

kyela wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 am
Thank you,
I will definately keep up to date here since it was just this past friday I am still trying to process everything, and along with it i am back in school since January 2018, so with being this much sleep deprived its been a HUGE struggle i am maintaing pretty good grades but i think once i am actually able to sleep I will function on a whole new level. I think I will call my doctor mid week here to get my report so i can actually see the numbers.

Oh and the smart CPAP my doctor prescribed tome was the "auto adjusting" type, but i am at the mercy of my insurance company as what they will approve and or allow unfortunately.

K~
The insurance company pays according to Medicare codes. The full data auto adjusting CPAP and the one without full data use the same code. The DME (durable medical equipment provider) may prefer the one without full data because they can make more profit.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue May 15, 2018 5:30 pm

kyela wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 am
Thank you,

K~
DON'T wait to see what the DME gives you...Tell your doctor and the DME what you want. The insurance company doesn't care. They pay one price regardless of what machine you get.

kyela

Post by kyela » Tue May 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Well today I just found out that the doctor faxed the my prescription over to a DME which I am familar with for when I had my achilles tendon surgery, the type my doctor wrote the script for was a auto CPAP as far as name brands I have no idea which is good would you guys have any suggestions and I dont have medicare I am in my mid 40's, and atm because of circumstances I am on state funded insurance Molina

Regards
K~

kyela

Post by kyela » Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 pm

I also have another question do most CPAP machines you have to add water to them? if so what kind of water do you generally use, would be distilled water?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue May 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Stick with the 2 major manufacturers. For an auto machine it would be:
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
or
Respironics DreamStation CPAP Auto

Yes the humidifiers use distilled water. In a pinch you can use regular water but you have to clean the tub with a vinegar solution to keep sediment from building up. Distilled water is cheap so use it to prevent build up and a dirty tub..
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

kyela

Post by kyela » Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 am

Well I called my DME and they said I would be getting the Respironics DreamStation CPAP Auto they said they are just waiting for my doctor to sign off on some paperwork then they would be calling me to make an appointment to get my machine

K~

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed May 16, 2018 1:20 pm

I don't believe that there are any CPAPs on the market that won't run if you don't add water. The water is to moisten the air, as air under higher than normal pressure can dry out your sinuses. The DreamStation has a detachable humidifier and can run without the humidifier. I believe that you can also leave it attached and just turn it off.

It is preferable to use distilled water if possible. Distilled water sells for 88¢ per U.S. gallon at Walmart in the U.S. If you live in another country, you'll need to check the availability where you are. You really can use any potable water, but it leaves a residue that you'll need to clean frequently.

Also, you didn't say which model of DreamStation you will be getting. All but the most basic model have full reporting capability.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 16, 2018 6:37 pm

D.H. wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:20 pm
you didn't say which model of DreamStation you will be getting.
I believe it was mentioned.
kyela wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 am
I called my DME and they said I would be getting the Respironics DreamStation CPAP Auto

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kyela

Post by kyela » Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Well I have my appointment to get my CPAP machine on this Friday 5/18, im pretty excited !! I can't wait ! Once i get the machine I will try to update my profile with what machine/ mask and settings i will start out on.

Thank you so much finding this forum will help with my sanity .. errr well I hope so!!

Regards,
K~