I'm trying a dental device option

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lzicc

I'm trying a dental device option

Post by lzicc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am

I've been using a CPAP for about 5 years. Since then, I've had sinus issue's. I use a full facemask with an APAP. I found a sleep dentist that specializes in dental devices. I was diagnose recently on the low side of moderate so the dentist said that I was a good candidate for the dental device. I received the device last week. It's a MAD device. It's set on the lowest setting and the dentist told me to increase the setting 1 step every week until I feel the positive affects of the device. I've been using it for almost a week now and I've been waking up tired. I adjusted it one setting up last night and also used my cpap last night to get a good night sleep.

Has anyone switched from CPAP to a dental device and what was your experience?

canyouhearmeaya

Re: I'm trying a dental device option

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:18 am

lzicc wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am
I've been using a CPAP for about 5 years. Since then, I've had sinus issue's. I use a full facemask with an APAP. I found a sleep dentist that specializes in dental devices. I was diagnose recently on the low side of moderate so the dentist said that I was a good candidate for the dental device. I received the device last week. It's a MAD device. It's set on the lowest setting and the dentist told me to increase the setting 1 step every week until I feel the positive affects of the device. I've been using it for almost a week now and I've been waking up tired. I adjusted it one setting up last night and also used my cpap last night to get a good night sleep.

Has anyone switched from CPAP to a dental device and what was your experience?
I think the general consensus is that a MAD device isn't as effective as CPAP overall, and also for fewer people does it work. If your CPAP treatment is still working, I don't see why you've changed. If you now feel worse than CPAP, evidently it isn't working as well, whether or not that'll change with adjustment is up to you to find out.

It's not really surprising the dentist felt you were a 'good candidate', when he's selling it to you to make a profit..

BTS

Post by BTS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 am

It seems to me Dentists are trying to push these devices without much knowledge on Apnea itself .. The last visit to the Dentist he saw on my medical list that I have Apnea (more Central than Obstructive and severe at that) and still tried pushing the device on me even tho ASV has been working great and I know from what I have read and researched that these devices are for mild OSA and at that hardly improve ones Apnea.. It's all about the profit, total B.S. .. Made me so mad that it was offered to me knowing it would do shit in helping me... :evil:

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:28 am

lzicc wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am
Since then, I've had sinus issue's.
In your other posts over the last five years, you never mentioned this. What kind of sinus problems are you having?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am

Dental devices have their place in the grand scheme of things but people need to be aware of their limitations and perhaps adjust their expectations.

First of all they are totally useless for central apneas.

Second of all when starting out with something like the MAD where adjustments are made incrementally it may take several adjustments to get to the point where the dental device actually opens up the airway enough that the obstructive events don't happen or are reduced to numbers that maybe aren't such a big problem.
And that's IF (and a big IF) the device even gets the airway open enough.

Thirdly once adjusted some sort of sleep study needs to be done to verify that the device is getting the job done...and perhaps even several studies if a lot of adjustments are being made.
This isn't something that is a set it one time thing and forget it. It's a slow process getting there and that's assuming you can get there.
They don't work well for some people for any number of reasons.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:19 pm

To get made up decisions about other treatments vaule, maybe a XPAP forum isn't the best place, we would tell you the truth, not what you want to hear. Jim

XPAP is the Gold treatment standard, Lead is bad for your health.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 pm

My dentist had me do a sleep study before he would see me. Now that I have the device, once I have moved up in adjustments to where I feel comfortable, he is going to order another sleep study to see how the device is working.

I have had allot of sinus issue's and never thought it was the CPAP at first, but after many years of ENT visits, nasal surgery and such, my sinuses still give me issue's. Sometimes I get allot of drainage and sinus headaches. I noticed last night that I wore my cpap and a headache that went away once I stopped the cpap therapy, came back this morning. Also, I clean my equipment every morning once I get up.

My brother in law went to the same sleep dentist and he got the device and it is working well for him, so I want to give it a try. My insurance covered the cost.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Have you been using the humidifer all along, possibly at a high setting? That can cause congestion and 'cold' symptoms (or maybe sinus issues) if you don't actually need it in your particular climate or season. Have you tried turning it down or off altogether?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 pm

lzicc wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 pm
My dentist had me do a sleep study before he would see me. Now that I have the device, once I have moved up in adjustments to where I feel comfortable, he is going to order another sleep study to see how the device is working.
He's cautious and wants to confirm effectiveness..that's good. It's what I would want if I was going down the dental device road.

When you use your cpap and humidifier....at what setting for the humidity and are you still using the PR System One 50 series model?
I know a couple of little hints with that model that might help you with it but I need to know at what setting you are now using first.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Klock1

Post by Klock1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:00 pm

I've worn a mouthpiece for 2 1/2 years and got a crossbite from it before switching to CPAP.

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 am

I've tried different settings with the humidifier and shut it completely off with no relief. I do have a newer CPAP. It's an autoset. I can't remember the name or model, I'm at work right now, but I have tried so many different things. I think it is an Airsense10. They originally set it from 8 to 24 I believe since it would know when to increase the pressure. I tried different settings on it. I have it set now 8 to 15 just to see if the pressure would spike too high, causing me issue's. It's been set like that for about 6 months now. I just think the constant air blowing into my mouth and sinuses is causing the excessive sinus buildup.

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 am

lzicc wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 am
I've tried different settings with the humidifier and shut it completely off with no relief. I do have a newer CPAP. It's an autoset. I can't remember the name or model, I'm at work right now, but I have tried so many different things. I think it is an Airsense10. They originally set it from 8 to 24 I believe since it would know when to increase the pressure. I tried different settings on it. I have it set now 8 to 15 just to see if the pressure would spike too high, causing me issue's. It's been set like that for about 6 months now. I just think the constant air blowing into my mouth and sinuses is causing the excessive sinus buildup.
Have you tried dietary changes? For me personally (and many others) a Ketogenic diet for example rids me of my allergies and helps reduce congestion. Even if you don't want to go that far, Gluten and Dairy for MANY are mucous forming and can promote sinus congestion, so removing these can help. Bare in mind it's not a case of just removing the groups for a day, sometime it can take a couple of weeks for the full benefits of removing them to show.

For me, moving over to a Ketogenic does far more for my allergies than any anti-histamine. The keto approach in itself is quite an extreme transition and not for everyone, which is why I'd advise removing the main culprits first and see you how do.

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:05 am

I did remove dairy from my diet a while back when the allergy issue got bad but didn't notice a difference. I then started to remove certain things from my diet one at a time with not relief. I also lost a good amount of weight and I've been working out consistently for about 10 years now. I am currently at my lowest weight that I have been since about 15 years ago. I went to an allergist a few years back and got test for allergies and the did not find any of the basic allergies. I had my deviated septum fixed about 10 years ago, I had my sinuses cavities open up a few years ago. I saw a urologist some time ago. I've tried a chiropractic. I've tried everything I can think of. This has been going on since I got on the cpap of what I can remember. I never thought that could be the issue, but that is the only thing I have not tried to get off of completely yet.

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:09 am

I attached my last sleep study results to this post. It was done on 3/30/18..
Attachments
ST2.PNG
ST2.PNG (323.03 KiB) Viewed 21387 times
ST1.PNG
ST1.PNG (423.52 KiB) Viewed 21387 times

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 am

lzicc wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:09 am
I attached my last sleep study results to this post. It was done on 3/30/18..
Hi lzicc,
Best of luck on your transition to a dental device.
Has anyone discussed with you the strong element of your 'positional' sleep apnea? When you sleep on your side your AHI is 3.4, on your back your AHI is 28.7.
I find it surprising that it is not mentioned in the interpretation section of the sleep test.
As you transition it would be better if you can sleep on your side for a longer period during the night. I know it is harder than just saying it, but the difference between back sleeping and side sleeping for you is very large.
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.
Not using a machine currently.