Why are there so many bad reviews of the Philips Respironics DreamStation?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Why are there so many bad reviews of the Philips Respironics DreamStation?

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 am

bonum.noctem wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:40 am
Data found online:
  • Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto: 25.8 dB(A) / 27.9 dB(A) with humidifier
  • ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet: 25 dB(A) +/- 2 dB(A) inaccuracy (but often indicated as 26.6 dB(A))
Some reviews or comparisons come to the conclusion, that the DreamStation is the most silent one, others tell the other way around, which lets assume that the verdict is highly individual.
What's more important in this situation is the noise *spectrum*, not entire sound pressure level. a mild white noise and an annoying whine can have the same dB(A) reading... which would you rather hear?
bonum.noctem wrote:
Looks like I have to find a hygrometer as I have absolutely no idea about the humidity in our bedroom.

I specifically asked Respironics Customer Support about this, and their response was: "blah blah blah"
Of course they're not going to say 'Yeah, we screwed up, our tanks are smaller and more people complain.

Well, you're certainly coming across as someone defending respironics... for some reason.

Resmed Water Capacity: 380 mL 55ml more. Will it matter? for most people. no, but facts *are* facts... Resmed holds more.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

bonum.noctem

Post by bonum.noctem » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:58 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 am
Well, you're certainly coming across as someone defending respironics... for some reason.
Not at all, I'm actually favoring ResMed tech, but both are referred to as top of the line products and seem to be equally popular. There are pros and cons for both, and I'm just trying to be well prepared in knowledge beforehand.
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health

SusanWink

Post by SusanWink » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:17 pm

I’ve been using my Dreamstation for six months. I am sensitive to noise, and am not at all bothered by my CPAP noise. Occasionally I’ll notice breathing sounds, but they don’t keep me from falling asleep. My husband said he occasionally hears slight noise.

In my dry part of TX, using humidity set at 3, one tank of water lasts at least two nights, and sometimes more. It’s especially dry right now so I’m topping it off every other night. When in FL and GA in May I don’t think it used any water at all.

ozzyluvshockey21

Post by ozzyluvshockey21 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:50 pm

I have been on Cpaps for years. I have been on ResMed mostly. I have a DreamStation now and love it. I don’t have any complaints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DalePickle

Post by DalePickle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:40 pm

I actually just bought a Dreamstation Auto from craigslist for $80. It also came with a brand new resmed swift fx mask. I thought that was a great deal. But considering the cpap itself it's not a bad machine. The only problem I have with it is it can be kind of loud when you inhale and exhale so if your a light sleeper than you might look elsewhere. Other than that it's good.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 pm

DalePickle wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:40 pm
I actually just bought a Dreamstation Auto from craigslist for $80. It also came with a brand new resmed swift fx mask. I thought that was a great deal. But considering the cpap itself it's not a bad machine. The only problem I have with it is it can be kind of loud when you inhale and exhale so if your a light sleeper than you might look elsewhere. Other than that it's good.
Yes, it is the inhale/exhale noise that I find loud. The machine itself, to my old infantry ears, is pleasantly quiet.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 pm

I started on my Bi-Level therapy 5 years ago on PR System One 760. The machine gave me the best therapy.

I decided in May of this year since my machine is 5 years old I should probably should get a replacement. The DME brought me a Resmed AirCurve 10S machine Bi-Level.

It turned out to be horrible choice for me. The machine was not compatible with me nor my mask nor my remzzz's liners.

I worked with it for almost a week, and I felt horrible by the end of the week. The machine's tolerance for leaks is not so good.

I have high pressure of 23/19 and move around in the night, and the machine just kept beeping all night long for large leaks. NO matter what I did I could not
plug up the leak alarm. The Phillips machine leak level tolerance is about 3 times higher than Resmed, That was the lesson I learned from this.

i guess the PR 760 allowed me to get spoiled with my mask and mask liners of choice not so much for the Remed.

I think like so much with this therapy every one is different what is good for one is horrible for some one else. Finding what works for us can be expensive.
I was lucky the DME changed out the machines and didn't give me a problem or try to double charge me.

Good Luck! :)

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

DalePickle

Post by DalePickle » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:27 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 pm
DalePickle wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:40 pm
Yes, it is the inhale/exhale noise that I find loud. The machine itself, to my old infantry ears, is pleasantly quiet.
Exactly. The machine itself is quiet. But the inhale / exhale through the tubes can sound a little like darth vader at times. lol.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:41 am

When I first started on CPAP in 2008 I tried to convince the issuing DME that I wanted a Respironics. This was largely based on a few weeks of reading posts and comments on this forum and the board's (at the time) seeming tilted toward RP as the machines of choice. The DME (American Home Care) did not agree to my wishes and gave me a ResMed S8 Elite. I came to be grateful they did not - several years later I got a PR Series 50 as a backup but used it rarely because it lacked the nuanced response of the S9 I was using at the time. Later still, I had occasion to trial a DreamStation Auto for a month and had essentially the same feeling about it when compared to my current AS10. Pressure response seemed a bit heavy handed in comparison to the AS10. I am well aware that there are many RP users who swear by them and use them very successfully - as they say, YMMV and you like what you like - it's up to you.

zydecokid

Post by zydecokid » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:02 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 am
bonum.noctem wrote:
Data found online:
  • Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto: 25.8 dB(A) / 27.9 dB(A) with humidifier
  • ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet: 25 dB(A) +/- 2 dB(A) inaccuracy (but often indicated as 26.6 dB(A))
Some reviews or comparisons come to the conclusion, that the DreamStation is the most silent one, others tell the other way around, which lets assume that the verdict is highly individual.
What's more important in this situation is the noise *spectrum*, not entire sound pressure level. a mild white noise and an annoying whine can have the same dB(A) reading... which would you rather hear?
bonum.noctem wrote:
Looks like I have to find a hygrometer as I have absolutely no idea about the humidity in our bedroom.

I specifically asked Respironics Customer Support about this, and their response was: "blah blah blah"
Of course they're not going to say 'Yeah, we screwed up, our tanks are smaller and more people complain.

Resmed Water Capacity: 380 mL 55ml more. Will it matter? for most people. no, but facts *are* facts... Resmed holds more.
The reduced water capacity is my problem as well. I wish there were someone we could inform about this, and other issues with the machine, that would get us help. I also don't like where you plug it in on the side of the machine under the water reservoir. My old one was much easier to use, and easier to care for.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:27 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:39 pm
I doubt if very many Resmeds are out of the landfill and still doing their job after 17,000 hours, basic it's Ford vs Chevy, with one overpriced and taking advantage of it's customers with a 24 volt standard and other tricks to keep costs and profits high. Jim
Well, mine is over 5 years old, with 17,642 hours.
Still quiet as a mouse.
Quality is consistently more expensive.
We get to choose when it is worth it to us.
I can sleep on a cheap mattress, with budget pillows and bedding, but the cpap really matters.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:46 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:27 pm
Goofproof wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:39 pm
I doubt if very many Resmeds are out of the landfill and still doing their job after 17,000 hours, basic it's Ford vs Chevy, with one overpriced and taking advantage of it's customers with a 24 volt standard and other tricks to keep costs and profits high. Jim
Well, mine is over 5 years old, with 17,642 hours.
Still quiet as a mouse.
Quality is consistently more expensive.
We get to choose when it is worth it to us.
I can sleep on a cheap mattress, with budget pillows and bedding, but the cpap really matters.
I don't know why anybody even bothers to read his nonsensical blathering.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyPaolo

Post by SleepyPaolo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:32 am

I use both.

The Resmed's auto function is way better.
Resmed's event detection accuracy is better.
The Resmed's provides basic BiLevel function up to 3cmH2O. The Dreamstation does not, it just has a expiration relief which only works for some people, many find it disturbing.
Noisy levels are the same to me. My breathing is louder than either machine. 1dB is level difference is by definition 'barely perceptible'.

Both work reliably, have data capability a nice user interface. My Dreamstation Go has a touchscreen display, which is win for it but I don't really value that feature much...