Cmparison ASV: Phillips VS Resmed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
photonic

Cmparison ASV: Phillips VS Resmed

Post by photonic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Palerider just helped me so much figuring out what is going on about current asv machines. I use a Phillips system one that is aging (4.5 years). He thought the Resmed machines were better for a variety of reasons.

What do our ASV users have to say on which replacement machine to buy, Phillips or Resmed and why?

Thanks for any thoughts. This board is invaluable.
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software

palerider

Re: Cmparison ASV: Phillips VS Resmed

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm

I'd suggest digging back through the posts of JohnBFisher, search.php?author_id=44411&sr=posts

His stuff was part of what I was digging through when my roommate ended up needing an ASV for his problems...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 pm

I have used both the PR S1 model 960 and the ResMed S9 Adapt which is their ASV...
these are both the older models.
Now Respironics has the DreamStatioin ASV and ResMed Aircuve 10 ASV.
My understand is the guts and how they do their jobs didn't change...just some minor cosmetic changes and a couple of minor tweaks there isn't that big of a real difference between the new and the old models of either.

I prefer the ResMed ASV myself. It was quieter and I was able to use less EPAP minimum to get the job done than I needed with the Respironics. Less is simply more comfortable because for me it was a 4 cm difference.

That said..most ASV machine users won't have had an opportunity to actually try both brands. So most won't have any way to compare the 2.
I don't technically need ASV because I don't have a problem with centrals. I used it on a lark and found out I really liked that lower EPAP on the ResMed. But I did finally get the model 960 to try...and didn't take me long to recognize that I preferred the ResMed and I sold the 960.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Oh before I forget...the DreamStation ASV is not compatible with this current version of SleepyHead. Supposedly Mark was working on a new version but it has not been released yet....don't know when it will be released.
You would have to use Encore Pro and it is a PITA to use and install with a high install failure rate.

The ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV is compatible with the current SH version plus ResScan is available and while it is a PITA also...not as big of a PITA as Encore and the install failure rate is minimal. Encore install failure rate is about 20%.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

photonic

Post by photonic » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 am

Pugsy, thanks for all these comments. They are invaluable. How else would a person even begin to evaluate the two without some personal experience such as yours!

The Sleepyhead non-compatibility is not so much an issue for me anymore because after using that software intensively for a year or two, I realized that in the long run it didn't make any difference for me since I was just CPAPing away every night anyway and all the fascinating information didn't change any of my behavior or machine settings. I use a mouth mask and the most beneficial thing I discovered is that sleeping with a soft neck collar dramatically reduced my AHI probably by not letting my jaw drop while sleeping.

Parenthetically that makes me fantasize that perhaps a custom molded neck brace contacting the mandible might eliminate the need for CPAP for many people. Sort of like an external dental brace. Just day dreaming here.....

Thanks for all the advice and experience!
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

dubito

Post by dubito » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 am

I now use the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV machine after having tried and failed therapy with the PR DreamStation APAP and Auto BiPAP. I would never go back to a PR machine. In my experience, the ResMed runs quieter, requires a lower EPAP, and synchronizes much better with my breathing pattern.

photonic

Post by photonic » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Great feedback!
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 am

For what it's worth, (never used a Resperonics ASV machine), I've been using the VPap / Adapt for 6 years now. Working well for me. Saw my sleep doctor last Oct(?), he put down that I didn't need to see him for 3 more years for insurance purposes. The only major thing needed for the machine was replacing the humidifier about one year ago. A bit of a hassel to get it replaced. Had to bring in the broken humidifier to the DME to verify that in fact it needed replacement. New one arrived 2 days later. Had to pay a monthly rental fee of $2.30 for it for awhile and now I think I own it. What a big 'to do'. Second Wind sells them for roughly the same price and I wish I had gotten it there.

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:37 am

does everyone agree that the resmed s9 or s10 is better than the philips asv bipap autosv?

the resmed is really sensitive and quickly sometimes blows high pressure, then sometimes it can be more quiet. but people are saying it's better
I started taking pharmas to increase the effect of the asv and getting more restful sleep but I still had several strokes
18/14 bipap st

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 am

sickwithapnea17 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:37 am
does everyone agree that the resmed s9 or s10 is better than the philips asv bipap autosv?
Everyone except jds74
sickwithapnea17 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:37 am
the resmed is really sensitive and quickly sometimes blows high pressure, then sometimes it can be more quiet.
That's what it's *supposed* to do, otherwise, how can it breathe for you when you have a central/

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 am

The ResMed ASV algorithm reacts in a way which your body and brain actually needs. To treat CSA you need a speedy response, which is what the ResMed machine will do.

Take a look at this study comparing ResMed iVAPS to Respironics AVAPS algorithms (volume assured pressure support modes) using benchmark testing:

http://www.inspiredrc.com/images/docume ... -AVAPS.pdf

The Respironics is known to be slower with APAP, and with VAPS, so most likely it's the same case with ASV.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 pm

I used the ResMed S9 for five years. When I decided to get a new machine I first went with the Dreamstation but got high readings that went all over the scale plus the machine had a very soft whine when I exhaled. I switched to the ResMed A10. Allegedly it handles things just like the S9 but I get different readings -- sometimes my AHI is over 5.0 and with the S9 they were seldom over 2.0. But the MyAir app on my phone says I doing great and I feel good in the mornings, too.

happybreather

Post by happybreather » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:07 am

I had to take another sleep test before for my Doctor to give me an Rx for an ASV machine-per Medicare requirements. When I took the test, it was on an Phillips machine. I had trouble sleeping, because I was used to my then machine-a ResMed AirCurve V auto S10 machine. The Phillips machine had a ever so slight delay in responding to the inhale breath. In contrast, the ResMed AirCurve is smooth and seamless in it's inhale response. This is not a big thing, but it was enough to keep me awake for a long time during the test. Obviously, I opted for the ResMed ASV machine.