dreamwear full face mask leaking

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hitomi.Neko
Location: Earth, third planet out from a yellow dwarf star in the Sol solar system in the Milky Way galaxy...

dreamwear full face mask leaking

Post by Hitomi.Neko » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:39 pm

i just got this mask and i wake up with it leaking like crazy does anyone else have this issue with this mask
Conformity — A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Stom

Re: dreamwear full face mask leaking

Post by Stom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 pm

I couldn't get it to seal for me, but I do have a beard. Even so, the F20 seals fine for me. The Dreamwear FF, not so much. However, I was able to sleep one night with the leaking FF without getting large leaks. So the constant leaks, while annoying, were still under the machine limit for full functionality.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:54 pm

I am still trying to make it work. It is fine when I sleep on my stomach, but if I roll onto my back, it leaks, but taps while leaking. Wakes both me and my husband. I am hpoing pad-a-cheek will make a mask liner for it.

Klock1

Post by Klock1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 pm

I am having a high pitched whistling noise and I have no idea where it's coming from. I've been wearing the mask since June without problems until now.
I'm going back to the Amara View until they send me a new dreamwear sometime next month.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:29 am

Hitomi.Neko wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:39 pm
i just got this mask and i wake up with it leaking like crazy does anyone else have this issue with this mask
--------------------->
To reduce unintentional mask leak -

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- If you use a low ramp pressure or a low minimum pressure, you should fit and adjust your mask at the higher pressures it is operating at for most of the night. You would temporarily change the machine pressure settings while you do the fitting and adjusting. It's best to do this well before bedtime before you are tired and ready for sleep. Don't forget to change your settings back to the ones you prefer.

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

- If you still have problems, learn from the forum what mask liners are available.

- Start a thread in cpaptalk asking for help. Subject: Need Help with Mask xxxxxx

- If your mask still has excessive leak, try other masks. Many people report trying several masks before they find one that works well for them.

Note: Links to just some of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php and https://www.youtube.com/

- CG

Lend27

Post by Lend27 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:17 am

Hitomi.Neko wrote:
I just bought this mask also.
I really like it, but can't use it.
After 3 or 4 hours of wearing it, I wake up with leaking that can't be controlled.
I think it's because I am using the humidifier on my Dreamstation.
My guess is the hot humidified air is having an effect on the mask, causing the leaking.
I have tried it for 3 nights in a row, all with the same result.
Midway through the night I have to switch my mask back to the Dreamwear nasal mask, which works fine.
I use the small size Dreamwear nasal mask, and thus the small size in the full face mask.
I am thinking maybe if I switch to the medium mask the humidifier's effect on the mask may be minimized and keep it within tolerance.
Have you guys had the same problem?
Thanks!
Len

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Klock1 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 pm
I am having a high pitched whistling noise and I have no idea where it's coming from.
Is the high pitch whistle only when inhaling? If so, for me, this was due to the small flat air filter in the machine, whining on every inhale. Drove me nuts.
I have this same mask, don't use very often but I've experienced a leak at the nostril area that produced a high pitch whistle as well, like you're describing. For me I have to start from scratch on the strap adjustment while pressure is on and just adjust the mask until the leak stops. It's like a small portion of the nasal section is turned or bent down and not making good contact.

I've gone down the same road you're on with those same two masks, View and Dreamwear full. I can tell you the F30 is waiting for you at the end of that road. I used to LOVE my Amara View, now i can't stand it. F30 spoiled me. I didn't like it at first because I was so used to the View, but over time I grew to really appreciate it.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Lend27 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:17 am
Hitomi.Neko wrote:

I think it's because I am using the humidifier on my Dreamstation.
My guess is the hot humidified air is having an effect on the mask, causing the leaking.
I have tried it for 3 nights in a row, all with the same result.
It may be that your mask is too small but it would be obvious, like the corners of your mouth falling out of the mask. Try turning down your humidification one or two levels, or try the adaptive setting, it sounds like you may be getting rain out which is like your face is sweating so the seal fails. And of course clean mask, clean face and shaving, (for me these are mandatory, I've no idea how dudes are having beard with full face) if your mask is oily and grimy from the night before, it won't get a good seal.

Auntducky59

Post by Auntducky59 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:26 pm

I wish Dreamwear worked out for me. Both the nasal & FF version leaked something awful. I like my Resmed F30, but I hate being a "hose nose". I would much rather be a "hose head". Resmed has finally come out with "Hose Head" models with their N30i & P30i. Unfortunately, not a FF version yet. I am a FF user, but am thinking of going back to a nasal mask & trying the N30i. It has the same cushion as the F30, so I know it won't leak. I will order a new chin strap just in case I need it. Wearing a chin strap is worth it to have a "hose head" back again, and hopefully Resmed comes out with a FF version, likely called F30i. Why don't you try The Resmed N30i or P30I?

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:21 am

My wife and I have been using Dreamwear FF masks since January. It took a while to get the adjustment right but we both have low leakage. I find that making small adjustments - a little over 1/8 inch at a time - and using it a couple of days before making another seems to work best for me.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

Auntducky59

Post by Auntducky59 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:46 pm

I asked my DME for the new Resmed N30i to replace my F30. I wanted to try this mask with a halo chin strap since they don't have a FF model yet. I prefer my hose on my head rather on my nose. My DME told me that they do not have the N30i or P30i in stock. I use the Military DME and new masks may take longer to be available through the Military. I have opted to go back to the dreamwear mask, but have selected the pillow version instead of the standard cushion as I know the standard cushion leaked. I also tried the dreamwear FF and it leaked, but I know the pillows worked for me. The only reason I went on the hunt for a FF mask is because my doctor convinced me at the time that this was my only option since I was a mouth breather. Standard chin straps did not work, kept falling off or were uncomfortable. I am so desperate to go back to being a "hose head" I am going back to the dreamwear pillow nasal mask and trying a halo style chin strap which I have never tried yet. I am determined to make this nasal mask work for me since I hate being a hose nose. The F30 is a wonderful mask, but the hose is in the wrong place for me. I remember liking the dreamwear style. I told my DME that I still wanted to try the N30i or P30i when it does arrive in stock. I am really hoping Resmed comes out with a FF version, but that will be a long time for me since it takes longer to get new masks via the Military DME, so back to Philips Dreamwear nasal pillow it is. Has anyone used or currently using a halo chin strap? does it stay in place & is it comfortable?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:14 am

Auntducky59 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:46 pm
Has anyone used or currently using a halo chin strap? does it stay in place & is it comfortable?
209 reviews from users ---> https://www.cpap.com/productpage/breath ... -chinstrap

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:27 am

I have no idea anything about a Halo Chinstrap. However, what I do know is just using a chin strap personally for me was terrifying. Because I'm such a ridiculously loud SNORER I tried a chin strap for a time about a year or two before I ever even considered cpap therapy. So me, being a mouth breather (and also mouth snorer, NOT nasal..) and without the aid of cpap, using a chinstrap I would wake up in a panic because I'd basically trapped myself in a corner of not be able to breathe. Now being on cpap, using full face mask, I'd never dream of using a chinstrap with nasal, this blows my mind that some of y'all choose this. But it's as I've stated before, what we're discussing in general, this topic, is so freaking individually subjective its hard to get really accurate info and results across the board what someones experience will be.

I read the posts in this forum and I feel a little guilty because I'm apparently a lucky cpap freak of nature, because I've got no issues with any aspect of this wild ride we're all on together. So I just try to help out and offer what little insight I've got, what works for me, and offer encouragement. Total shot in the dark if anyone else will have a similar result.

LakeGuy85

Post by LakeGuy85 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:14 am

Hitomi.Neko wrote:
Does anyone else have a problem with the dreamwear FF when you roll onto your side and it then collapses the air tube on that side of your head? I have no leaks while laying on my back but rolling to one side or the other will cause issues with this mask.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:09 pm

LakeGuy85 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:14 am
collapses the air tube on that side of your head
I may not understand what your concern is. But, let me say the manufacturer reports if one side is completely collapsed, the other side has sufficient flow/pressure to keep the CPAP system delivering appropriate therapy.