How did you acquire your backup machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nanuk

How did you acquire your backup machine?

Post by Nanuk » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:19 pm

I like the idea of a backup plan. Having just purchased my device, I don’t see insurance helping with a second one right away.

When and how did you acquire your backup machine?
Symptoms for years // Diagnosis & Treatment start Summer 2018

Goofproof

Re: How did you acquire your backup machine?

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:32 pm

The old fashion way, I bought it. In reality I bought two, one online used and one new from our sponsor CPAP. Com. Still in the Wings after 13 years. Almost ready to dig one out to use. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Nanuk wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:19 pm
I like the idea of a backup plan. Having just purchased my device, I don’t see insurance helping with a second one right away.

Craigslist, and from one of the fine occasional purveyors of used machines here, grayghost4.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:51 pm

I acquired my first one from Craigslist. It was shipped to me from Wis. (had 300 hours). I paid via Paypal for security. The second was an Airsense for Her (never used) that included 2 masks (still sealed) via OfferUp, again, in another state (select Nationwide in your search). It costs $20-25 to ship a unit within the US, so I just offered that flat out because the deals were already sweet. For an out of state deal, I recommend using Paypal. If they won't take it, I won't buy.

My primary requests:
Photo of the machine hours (you will typically have to tell them how to get to it). This not only shows you the machine hours, but that they have both parts of the power cord.
Photo of the model number - ensure you are getting the model you want.
Was this used in a house with a smoker? Was it used by a smoker? If you are not a smoker, you don't want a unit with smoke residue.
Why are you selling? Sometimes you can garner important info from that question.
Ownership - Are you certain you own the machine? Many insurance companies rent the machine for 13 months. (don't want person finding out later they owe 2 grand).

FWIW, if you get a used Resmed unit, you probably can't register it with Resmed for use with MyAir, but you CAN have the unit removed so the former DME can't access it. Don't know about Phillips machines and their online stuff.

edited to add: As my Medicare paid for machine reaches 5 years, I will look for another. My backup Airsense for her cost less than I would have had to pay using Medicare without all the compliance hassle.

Last edited by SewTired on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diabetes 2, RLS & bradycardia
Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Nanuk wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:19 pm

All of my equipment has been purchased out-of-pocket. My insurance provider reimbursed me 80% for the initial setup ( back in 2005 ), but everything after that has been from my own funds.......even after I went on Social Security.
Some were from forum members, some were from CPAP.COM, some were from CPAPAuction.com ( an entity owned by CPAP.COM when it was still operational in 2010 ), and, some were from vendors who repair and/or deal in previously-owned equipment.
Some of the "previously-owned" machines I acquired had less than 10 blower hours on them and were in all respects like new.

I waited about a year before I acquired my second machine, but was kind of nervous during that time. At about a year, it started to develop a slight "whine" as the blower changed speeds during the C-Flex exhale, so after I got my first backup machine in June of 2006, I sent it back to CPAP.COM to be sent back to Respironics under warranty. I don't know exactly what they did, but it's been working perfectly ever since. I fell in love with that generation of machines and acquired as many as I could find over the years. Their simplicity, functionality, data-capability, and software availability were all I could ask for. And, after seeing what the major manufacturers have come up with since, I'm even more confident that I made the right decision. Too many of the newer blowers have had their share of problems or design flaws.

So, keep your eyes open for good deals and acquire some spares.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:56 pm

I found one here on the forum (brand new, still in original shipping box) and I found our second one on the local Facebook market place. The second one only had 106 hours on it.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:05 am

My backup plan is my old CPAP from many years ago. It's in good working order and I run it every so often to keep it clear.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 am

Bought it new from a Canadian online CPAP dealer. It's the for her model of the Airsense 10 Autoset.

Dave

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:51 am

Talked my sleep doc into prescribing an Auto machine.

Bingo, instant backup.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...