New CPAP purchase advise

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
David R

New CPAP purchase advise

Post by David R » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 pm

So, with the goal of getting the best rest possible I realize that a newer model CPAP with an autoset capability is in the cards. There has probably been a thread about which machine should I buy? So if you want to redirect me there, that's great. I couldn't find one using search.

I currently have ResMed Elite which is a single pressure machine. I like how quiet it is, I wish it had a larger water reservoir as that often dries out but I can live with it. I just want the adjustable pressure to make sure I'm getting all the therapy I need. SO I'm thinking of buying either 1.Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or 2. DreamStation DSX500T Auto CPAP. I would be paying out of pocket and looking for a deal. There's a ResMed being sold on craigslist close to me for $425 and a new unit being sold on liquidation for $475 or the DreamStation $375 here:

https://www.smartzonesales.com/

I'm just wondering what your opinion of the 2 machines are and if there's anything else I should be considering. I started off asking about pressure and now I'm thinking of using half a paycheck to get a new machine, hopefully, this rabbit hole goes no further LOL. But I figured if I want the best rest, which I do, I should bite the bullet and get the best equipment then work with the software to get the best settings and if that doesn't work, I've done all I can.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DavidY

Re: New CPAP purchase advise

Post by DavidY » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

If you are satisfied with Resmed's algorthim, I recommend the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her...this model has an extra mode vs the regular Autoset model....should be the same price. If not, get the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto....it has a different algorthim than Resmed. Based on the posts at this forum, most posters prefer Resmed over Philips Respironics.

Dave

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:26 pm

David R wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 pm
which machine should I buy?
-----------------> viewtopic/t173262/2-Airsense-10-AutosetsFor-Sale.html

David R

Post by David R » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:14 pm

I called the craigslist guy and he agreed to $300 cash. So I'm getting the Resmed Airsense 10. It's not a for her model, but it is something that I can afford. He said he didn't use it much. Is there anything I should check while I'm inspecting the unit?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Check the run hours...amount of use

With the machine plugged in and OPTIONS showing on the screen, press the dial button. Then press and hold the dial button and the home button together for 5 seconds. When SETTINGS appears on the screen press the dial button. Then turn the dial as far as you can until you see ABOUT. Press the dial button to see the "run hours".

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm

David R wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:14 pm
So I'm getting the Resmed Airsense 10.
Make sure it says "AutoSet".

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Another vote for a S9 or Airsense 10 Autoset.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

David R

Post by David R » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:34 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm
David R wrote:
I didn't realize there were some s10's that weren't Autoset. I just checked the picture. It does say Autoset on the front of the machine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 pm

David R wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:34 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm
David R wrote:
I didn't realize there were some s10's that weren't Autoset. I just checked the picture. It does say Autoset on the front of the machine.
There's about 13 or 14 A10s (no s10s), and only two of them are autoset.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

knothead

Post by knothead » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 am

David R wrote:
I called the craigslist guy and he agreed to $300 cash. So I'm getting the Resmed Airsense 10. It's not a for her model, but it is something that I can afford. He said he didn't use it much. Is there anything I should check while I'm inspecting the unit?
If this is important to you find out if it comes from a non smoking environment and if pets were around it. Most of all check used hours...hope its a keeper. :)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 am

knothead wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 am
David R wrote:
If this is important to you find out if it comes from a non smoking environment and if pets were around it. Most of all check used hours...hope its a keeper. :)
CHECK RUN HOURS

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:36 am

I agree with getting the same make if you're happy with what you have, at least in most cases.

Remember that if the old one is in working order, keep it on hand as a spare.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Ideally, you should be able to confirm the model and run hours IN PERSON
before handing over any money.
Also take a deep sniff to rule out smoke odor.

David R

Post by David R » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:12 pm

I got it. It had 2800 hours, no smoke or animal smell. I'm really happy I found one and didnt cost too much.

Does anyone have any ideas of initial settings i should use?

My current cpap is a single pressure ResMed Elite that I had set on 11.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Start with min 11, max 20, and see where that takes you...