Apneas Super High in the Morning Once Machine "Resets" For the Day

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Re: Apneas Super High in the Morning Once Machine "Resets" For the Day

Post by D.H. » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:30 pm

The way the day breaks can cause a higher number in one day and a lower in another, but it can't affect the overall average.

If it resets in the last ten minutes of your sleep and you have one incident in that time period, you will see 6 for that day (until you go to bed again, presumably at the same time).

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:07 am

BDP87 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:25 pm

I have downloaded Sleepyhead before but I do not own an SD card which I need in order to use the software. One did not come with my machine. All my data is sent directly to my doctor.
Actually, the detailed data is ONLY saved to the card. No card? No detailed data. So, no, your doctor is NOT getting much data, just the compliance data and a little summary.

Which actual machine do you have? Your machine listing says Airsense 10 cpap. Is it really just the plain cpap? That one doesn't have full data.

As others have stated, you can change the time on the machine. I have mine set so that "noon" occurs at either 3 or 4pm, depending on the time of year. I rarely sleep past 3pm, so that works well for me.

As to the last hour, many people have more REM sleep at the end. You may also be moving around more. It would help to see the actual data and know if these are obstructive events or clear airway events. The resetting of the day has nothing to do with how many events it is reporting.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

BDP87

Post by BDP87 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:07 am

Ok, so I used Sleepyhead for the first time last night. Because I went to bed so late, and got up so early (only got about 3-4 hours of sleep), I did not have the "reset" problem (because I woke up way before it would have reset. I am ready to post data but I'm unsure how to post it. Last night seemed more normal, I think tonight will probably be the real test. However, I can still send whatever data I already have. Can someone explain how I can post the data up on here?

BDP87

Post by BDP87 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:07 am
BDP87 wrote:

I have downloaded Sleepyhead before but I do not own an SD card which I need in order to use the software. One did not come with my machine. All my data is sent directly to my doctor.
Actually, the detailed data is ONLY saved to the card. No card? No detailed data. So, no, your doctor is NOT getting much data, just the compliance data and a little summary.

Which actual machine do you have? Your machine listing says Airsense 10 cpap. Is it really just the plain cpap? That one doesn't have full data.

As others have stated, you can change the time on the machine. I have mine set so that "noon" occurs at either 3 or 4pm, depending on the time of year. I rarely sleep past 3pm, so that works well for me.

As to the last hour, many people have more REM sleep at the end. You may also be moving around more. It would help to see the actual data and know if these are obstructive events or clear airway events. The resetting of the day has nothing to do with how many events it is reporting.
Do I bring the card with me next time I see my doctor? What kind of reports would I show him?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:32 am

How to post your data and what we like to see

viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html

You can use imgur.com
or you can use the attachment feature here at the forum. The above thread was composed before the forum software updated to allow attachments.
I need to redo that thread again but just haven't had time.
To use the attachment feature...do a screen shot of the detailed report...save it to your desktop to find easily...click on attachment button down at the bottom of the reply to box and direct to that saved image.
Forum software only allows 3 attachments to a post but you can get all we need in one image.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BDP87

Post by BDP87 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:32 am
How to post your data and what we like to see

viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html

You can use imgur.com
or you can use the attachment feature here at the forum. The above thread was composed before the forum software updated to allow attachments.
I need to redo that thread again but just haven't had time.
To use the attachment feature...do a screen shot of the detailed report...save it to your desktop to find easily...click on attachment button down at the bottom of the reply to box and direct to that saved image.
Forum software only allows 3 attachments to a post but you can get all we need in one image.
Is this acceptable? Also, keep in mind that I did not have the "reset" issue this morning and only slept a few hours which is not a "normal" day for me. But here is what I have for last night. Let me know if you need other data.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:12 am

Good enough. In the future you can hide the calendar and turn off the pie chart (Preferences/Appearance tab) but no need to redo this one.

The bulk of this night's AHI is central/clear airway apnea events. More pressure won't fix those and I suspect some are Sleep/wake/junk SWJ and not real anyway. Ignore because you can't do anything about them anyway even if there were real and there's not enough of them to worry about or do anything about anyway.

Go here and watch the videos
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software
so you can learn how to distinguish between awake/arousal breathing events and real asleep events.
I suspect you are going to need to know the difference the next time you sleep longer and run into the "reset" issue.

A word about what might happen when you sleep past noon and you get that separate session segment from your machine that shows a high AHI number.
The AHI is an hourly average and if you don't have a full hour of sleep past the noon reset the machine sort of extrapolates the numbers to show what the AHI would have been (assuming nothing changed but it doesn't always stay the same in terms of events or sleep).
Example...suppose you sleep only 30 minutes past the noon reset...and you have 5 events during those 30 minutes...the machine extrapolates and will say 10 AHI because it is assuming if you slept another 30 minutes you would have 5 more events. Now you might have and you might not have...
Regardless...5 is too many in 30 minutes but it is possible that if those flagged events happened close to known awake times that they aren't even real. Meaning the machine might have flagged some awake breathing irregularities by mistake. It has no way to know if you are asleep or not....it can only measure air flow. Our awake/semi awake breathing is very irregular compared to asleep breathing.

Last night I had 8 events total...but only 2 were real. The other 6 were SWJ post arousal breathing flags. Meaning I woke up and had some irregular breathing and then the flagged event. I woke up several times during the night...back pain issues. Common for me.
If you are doing much awake/semi awake breathing while wearing the mask it is entirely possible that some of your flagged events aren't real.

So before worrying about flagged events at anytime during your night...make sure that they are real.
It would be nice if we had that detailed data for the hour with the 10 AHI so we could see when they were flagged and if they were real or not. But we don't so you just have to wait until you do have a separate segment to evaluate.

At this point based on the report above...I see no reason to go increasing the pressure at this time. The machine doesn't really want to move around much...it's not trying to kill much and there's really no urgent need for it to kill anything at this point.

Now if you are having comfort issues with the current pressure in that you don't feel like you are moving enough air or you are feeling stifled or suffocating...then yeah a little higher than 5 cm starting might be useful comfort wise. Wouldn't hurt anything to start with a little more pressure but at this point I don't see the need in terms of apnea events themselves.
Your flow limitation graph is boring (which is good) and your obstructive in nature events are minimal.
The central in nature clear airway flagged events...we ignore because we can't really do anything about them anyway. More pressure won't fix those. And you don't have enough of them to need to do anything about them anyway. Would need about 5 per hour...every hour and they need to be real and not SWJ before we worry about them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BDP87

Post by BDP87 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:38 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:12 am
Good enough. In the future you can hide the calendar and turn off the pie chart (Preferences/Appearance tab) but no need to redo this one.

The bulk of this night's AHI is central/clear airway apnea events. More pressure won't fix those and I suspect some are Sleep/wake/junk SWJ and not real anyway. Ignore because you can't do anything about them anyway even if there were real and there's not enough of them to worry about or do anything about anyway.

Go here and watch the videos
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software
so you can learn how to distinguish between awake/arousal breathing events and real asleep events.
I suspect you are going to need to know the difference the next time you sleep longer and run into the "reset" issue.

A word about what might happen when you sleep past noon and you get that separate session segment from your machine that shows a high AHI number.
The AHI is an hourly average and if you don't have a full hour of sleep past the noon reset the machine sort of extrapolates the numbers to show what the AHI would have been (assuming nothing changed but it doesn't always stay the same in terms of events or sleep).
Example...suppose you sleep only 30 minutes past the noon reset...and you have 5 events during those 30 minutes...the machine extrapolates and will say 10 AHI because it is assuming if you slept another 30 minutes you would have 5 more events. Now you might have and you might not have...
Regardless...5 is too many in 30 minutes but it is possible that if those flagged events happened close to known awake times that they aren't even real. Meaning the machine might have flagged some awake breathing irregularities by mistake. It has no way to know if you are asleep or not....it can only measure air flow. Our awake/semi awake breathing is very irregular compared to asleep breathing.

Last night I had 8 events total...but only 2 were real. The other 6 were SWJ post arousal breathing flags. Meaning I woke up and had some irregular breathing and then the flagged event. I woke up several times during the night...back pain issues. Common for me.
If you are doing much awake/semi awake breathing while wearing the mask it is entirely possible that some of your flagged events aren't real.

So before worrying about flagged events at anytime during your night...make sure that they are real.
It would be nice if we had that detailed data for the hour with the 10 AHI so we could see when they were flagged and if they were real or not. But we don't so you just have to wait until you do have a separate segment to evaluate.

At this point based on the report above...I see no reason to go increasing the pressure at this time. The machine doesn't really want to move around much...it's not trying to kill much and there's really no urgent need for it to kill anything at this point.

Now if you are having comfort issues with the current pressure in that you don't feel like you are moving enough air or you are feeling stifled or suffocating...then yeah a little higher than 5 cm starting might be useful comfort wise. Wouldn't hurt anything to start with a little more pressure but at this point I don't see the need in terms of apnea events themselves.
Your flow limitation graph is boring (which is good) and your obstructive in nature events are minimal.
The central in nature clear airway flagged events...we ignore because we can't really do anything about them anyway. More pressure won't fix those. And you don't have enough of them to need to do anything about them anyway. Would need about 5 per hour...every hour and they need to be real and not SWJ before we worry about them.
Thank you for all of the advice so far. You have been very helpful. I have noticed (based on what my machine tells me) that I have a mixture of Obstructive and Centrals, but the Centrals usually never go higher than 2.5 as an average. This was just a test run on limited sleep and the "reset" had not happened on this one. I would like to point out that the last time (yesterday) that it showed 10+, the timer said something closer to 2 hours (I believe it was like, 1 hour and 38 minutes or something), so I'm not sure what exactly is going on. As a small experiment last night, I turned the machine on (while it still had 10+ registered for the 1+ hour of sleep and waited about 20-30 min. I then shut it off to check what the AHI said, and in just a short period of time it went down to 8. Still not sure what the heck is going on but it does appear that I'm not necessarily having 10+ apneas an hour. I think this graph kind of proved that also. Just not sure whether its all happening at once or not. I will continue to post some results in the coming days, as long as it is OK. I'd love some daily feedback and advice on where to go from here.

In one way, I'm hoping I don't ever see that dreaded 10+ number again, but on the other hand I kind of want to see it so I can record the data again. I guess tonight's sleep may prove to be very helpful. Whatever the case may be, I just hope to get it all figured out. This stuff scares the crap out of me. I'm only 31 and never thought I'd have to deal with this at this age. It hasn't been a full year of my treatment yet but it still feels new every night. Reading about all the risks associated with Obstructive and especially Central (both of which I have) it just scares me. I have 2 beautiful children and I want to be around for them for a long time.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:20 am

Welcome to CPAPTalk.

Please update the machine in your Profile.

According to SleepyHead you have an Airsense 10 Autoset which is an automatic full data machine. The machine you currently have in your profile is a limited data, single pressure machine.

Listing the correct machine helps us guide you through this journey.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am

You may not have seen the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet in your equipment selection menu...that's because it's down in the Rs instead of the As. For some reason it got stuck with ResMed as the first word and not AirSense so it's down in the Rs.

BDP87

Post by BDP87 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:37 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:20 am
Welcome to CPAPTalk.

Please update the machine in your Profile.

According to SleepyHead you have an Airsense 10 Autoset which is an automatic full data machine. The machine you currently have in your profile is a limited data, single pressure machine.

Listing the correct machine helps us guide you through this journey.
Thanks, I have fixed it!

BDP87

Post by BDP87 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am
You may not have seen the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet in your equipment selection menu...that's because it's down in the Rs instead of the As. For some reason it got stuck with ResMed as the first word and not AirSense so it's down in the Rs.
Yeah, that is exactly what happened. Totally missed it. Thank you. I've updated it now. :D

klm49

Post by klm49 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:37 am

BDP87 wrote:

Do I bring the card with me next time I see my doctor? What kind of reports would I show him?

Your Sleep Dr. should tell you what to bring, if not call and ask.
Some want the entire machine and some just want the SD card.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

BDP87

Post by BDP87 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Ok so, I didn't experience the 10+ "reset" issue this morning, but I still wanted to post the results from last night. The machine did indeed still "reset" but the number was much lower (2-3) instead.

121318.png (131.36 KiB) Viewed 326 times

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:02 pm

The machine LCD display shows the most recent session and the new session starts at 12 noon.
It kinda forgets what you did last night and up until 11:59AM in terms of what it shows on the screen.
It's just the way it is. The data is still there but you just can't see it on the screen.

Either accept it and use the software to see the overall picture of how you did last night and this morning...or change you clock so the new session starts later than noon in real life.
Or make a point of not sleeping past noon on the machine clock.
Limited options but you have options.

PS...I think you would benefit from a little higher minimum than the 5 you are currently using.