Anyone not use the humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JMB73

Anyone not use the humidifier?

Post by JMB73 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 pm

New to CPAP, still reading forums and learning. Couldn't find much on this with a search, so I'll start a thread. I'm curious: do any of you choose NOT to use the humidifier on your CPAP machine, and if not, why? If the room humidity is in the 40-50 range, do people find they need the CPAP humidifier any less?

KobeT

Re: Anyone not use the humidifier?

Post by KobeT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 pm

I have been on cpap for at least 12 years and I never used a humidifier on my old cpap, even though it came with one. I just never felt I needed one. I could be because I live in south florida which is pretty humid normally. I just recently bought a new Dreamstation Auto CPAP and I didn't purchase the humidifier.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:36 pm

JMB73 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 pm
If the room humidity is in the 40-50 range, do people find they need the CPAP humidifier any less?
I still need the added moisture. My nasal mucosa simply don't like the dryness.
I have tried lower...I got some really ugly nasal symptoms when I tried lower. I won't ever do that again and where I live...it really isn't all that dry. My bedroom humidity range...40% is dry for where I live...and I still need the added moisture.

I know people living in the high desert who don't even use any added moisture and their nasal mucosa are quite happy.

And it really is highly individual...I know households where both spouses are on cpap and one needs a lot of moisture and the other needs minimal to none added moisture and they are both breathing the same household humidity. Go figure.

This is one area you are just going to have to experiment with to see what your nasal mucosa want.
Trust me...your nasal mucosa will let you know what they want or need.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Count me as one who doesn't care for the humidity. I've lived in the southwest my whole life both high desert and low and a humidity setting above 2 clogs me up and gives me a headache. I've never tried it completely without. Mostly because I don't know how to shut it off. :lol:

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Yes!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 pm

There is no right or wrong...Humidity is a comfort issue. If you are comfortable without it..Great. If not use humidity.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Cynmatthes wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm
Count me as one who doesn't care for the humidity. I've lived in the southwest my whole life both high desert and low and a humidity setting above 2 clogs me up and gives me a headache. I've never tried it completely without. Mostly because I don't know how to shut it off. :lol:
Turn humidity to 0 & use one of these to replace the tank.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... side-cover

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm
Cynmatthes wrote:

Will it go to zero if I get that thing ? Right now the lowest it will go is 1.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Cynmatthes wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm
prodigyplace wrote:
Cynmatthes wrote:

No, the side cover doesn't have anything to do with the settings, it just allows you to not use the tank.

According to the manual: "You can set the Humidity Level to Off or between 1 and 8, where 1 is the lowest humidity setting
and 8 is the highest humidity setting.
To adjust the Humidity Level:
1. In My Options, turn the dial to highlight Humidity Level and then press the dial.
2. Turn the dial to adjust the humidity level and press the dial to save the change."

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 pm

I am one of the many who NEED moisture.
Moist nasal passages are better able to dispose of allergens and infective agents.
My nasal and upper respiratory disorders are nearly GONE, due to sufficient moisture.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 pm

I don't use the humidifier.

My first night on CPAP I bought my distilled water and used the humidity at a middle setting. The second night I used it at the lowest setting. I then heard about "passive" humidity here on CPAPtalk and tried that where I just left water in the tank but it was shut off. Within a week of being here on CPAP talk someone mentioned I could buy a piece, a cover, and be done with the humidifier all together. (I have a RESMED AUTOSET 10)

I was so HAPPY! I bought this perfect cover from CPAP.com and and made my machine have a smaller footprint and looks perfect! Like the humidifier was never there.

I travel a bit around Florida and I just keep my humidifier in it's slot in the case. I also travel to NYC every couple of months and once when I was there my lips got chapped and my nose seemed dry so I did pull it out and I was happy it was in my case. However, I didn't even make it through the whole night before turning it off.

Florida is very humid though and really NYC is not a dessert. I might need it if I traveled to Ein Gedi and I am really glad I have it in my case ... "just in case".
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:18 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Cynmatthes wrote:
prodigyplace wrote:
Cynmatthes wrote:

No, the side cover doesn't have anything to do with the settings, it just allows you to not use the tank.

According to the manual: "You can set the Humidity Level to Off or between 1 and 8, where 1 is the lowest humidity setting
1. In My Options, turn the dial to highlight Humidity Level and then press the dial.
2. Turn the dial to adjust the humidity level and press the dial to save the change."
I will try that tomorrow. I could have sworn last time I looked it wouldn't let me turn it below one. Could it be because I have a climate line hose attached ?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 am

Cynmatthes wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:18 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Cynmatthes wrote:
prodigyplace wrote:
Cynmatthes wrote:

I will try that tomorrow. I could have sworn last time I looked it wouldn't let me turn it below one. Could it be because I have a climate line hose attached ?
I don't have an air10 machine, so I can't say 100% for sure, but it *should* allow you to turn off both the hose and the humidifier, attached or not.

I will point out, if you'r e not using the humidifier, you don't need a climateline hose, unless you're just wanting to warm up the air.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:29 am

I will play with it tomorrow for sure. Hubby is asleep now and I don't want to wake him or I would go look. :lol:

Hopeful50

Post by Hopeful50 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 am

I don't use the humidity any more. I don't like heated air, and without it I would often get rainout. So I tried turning off the humidity and was perfectly comfortable.