Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask review thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
loggerhead12

Re: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask review thread

Post by loggerhead12 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:43 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:39 am
ImRealPleezApproveMe wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:38 am
I'm going to give palerider's test a try tonight to see if I can blow out a candle with the vented air. It might be close!
My what now?
Sometimes people go on about how strong the flow of air feels coming out their masks/vents/orifices. In truth it isn't all that strong at all. I thought it was you that mentioned a few times that you couldn't blow out a candle with it, but it could have been someone else. ;-)

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:07 am

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:43 am
palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:39 am
I'm going to give palerider's test a try tonight to see if I can blow out a candle with the vented air. It might be close!
My what now?
Sometimes people go on about how strong the flow of air feels coming out their masks/vents/orifices. In truth it isn't all that strong at all. I thought it was you that mentioned a few times that you couldn't blow out a candle with it, but it could have been someone else. ;-)
I don't *remember* saying that, but I suppose I might have done.

The vents from my first mask, the mirage quattro could probably have blown out a centurions worth of birthday candles a few feet away.

What I usually say is that the pressure of a cpap isn't even enough to blow up a balloon, but that doesn't have anything to do with the vent air.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:47 pm

After reading this whole thread I was a little more prepared for the second night. The Dreamport vents seem to put out a much more noticeable jet of air than I'm used to, so I made a vent diffuser out of a filter as suggested. That worked pretty well to deflect the flow as long as the filter stayed in place. I woke up once to push it back up, so I'll do a little tape work tonight to keep it in place.
Here's a couple pics that hopefully make it clear how I attached the filter.
viewtopic/t174807/BleepDreamPort-nasal- ... 5#p1290433

If you don't make the cuts too long, then it won't be able to move. when you clip the hose back on, the filter's firmly stuck in place. The filter should just barely fit, with a little bit of stretching required.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:32 pm
Dreaming1 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:27 pm
Yes, just the shipping cost. Not too bad for a years worth.
Yeah but the 12 months worth of ports cost is going to suck.

Maybe with luck and good sales the demand will increase and production costs can come down when in larger blocks of orders.
I've put my hand in my pocket purchased a years worth, the discount is more if you buy the ports with the mask, just waiting for them to ship now...

zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:46 am

Jas_williams wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 am

I've put my hand in my pocket purchased a years worth, the discount is more if you buy the ports with the mask, just waiting for them to ship now...
Do you mind commenting on the discounted price?

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:00 am

I used the online prices at the cpap shop, with the mask 64 nights $128 so $2 A night no extra special pricing, shipping to the UK $68 but only once rather than $68 every month a big upfront investment

The price for the 64 dreamports on their own come in at $164 at least that's what they do when not bought with the starter pack may be a glitch in the system

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 am

Jas_williams wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 am
Pugsy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:32 pm
Dreaming1 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:27 pm
Yes, just the shipping cost. Not too bad for a years worth.
Yeah but the 12 months worth of ports cost is going to suck.

Maybe with luck and good sales the demand will increase and production costs can come down when in larger blocks of orders.

You will of course let us know your thoughts on this mask???? :lol:

Pretty hefty investment in something you don't know if you will like it or not but maybe you are like me....know yourself well enough to know what you like and don't like fairly well ahead of time and you are confident that you will like it. I knew I would like it 2 years ago...I just knew it. Wasn't ever any doubt in my mind as to how I would feel about it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Coffee Man

Post by Coffee Man » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:12 am

For people who’ve been using the Bleep for a while...does applying the adhesive strips on the nose seem like it is sustainable? In other words, is this something that gets old over time?

I have a question for those that received the mask ahead of time from the company (such as Pugsy). Did you have to pay for the mask and supplies? Do you currently have to pay for supplies, or are you given supplies free by the manufacturer? Or, are supplies covered by insurance?

If someone currently has a mask they can slip on in a second (like the N30i), and has low leaks and good AHI, it seems like this mask would not provide any benefit for them (as increased cost and inconvenience of the Bleep would not be advantages).

I could certainly see the appeal, though, to users that have not found a mask they have found suitable.

Dreaming1

Post by Dreaming1 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am

I bought mine through the cpap shop.

My pressure has come down to 8 now, from 11, and my AHI is great and my leak is nonexistent. It has altogether stopped my mouth drooling at night, because of that. No more dried salvia down each side of my chin. No pain in my nose, no marks on my face or head. It has taken me less than a minute to apply the past two nights. While that’s 45 seconds longer than the p10 to put on, I don’t have have to adjust again the rest of the night and it’s not waking me up like the p10. While that setup time is longer, it’s well worth it for the trade off of the other mess I dealt with. But YMMV, depends on if you’re happy or not. I was not, making it plenty sustainable for me.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am

Coffee Man wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:12 am
If someone currently has a mask they can slip on in a second (like the N30i), and has low leaks and good AHI, it seems like this mask would not provide any benefit for them (as increased cost and inconvenience of the Bleep would not be advantages).
I have such a mask that I can slip on in a millisecond...the ResMed AirFit P10. Been using it ever since it was released. It is now delegated to back up mask status despite an honorable performance over the years....main reason...headgear. I don't like headgear of any kind.
I don't like strap marks on my face or big bags under my eyes because the straps inhibited the normal dispersal of fluid in the facial tissue.
It one of my main dislikes about any mask I have used over the years. I find the headgear annoying even if it is very minimal headgear.

When I said earlier that I have long wanted a nasal pillow mask that I could just glue or tape to my nose .....I meant it. I have been telling my husband that for nearly 10 years now. It is something that is very important to me. Now it may not be important to you...and that's fine but to me it is hugely important.

My nightly routine has increased just a little with the adding of sticking on the ports....I am down to it taking maybe 10 seconds.
I would be washing my face anyway...so that didn't change. I have added a quick wipe with alcohol swab and sticking on the ports...at first it took me longer to get them situated but now maybe 10 seconds at the most. A 10 second cost that is well worth the no strap marks or bags under my eyes not to mention no wake ups with make movement or straps sliding around needing adjusting in the middle of the night.

My leak numbers have actually improved significantly. This tells me that leaks I previously blamed on mouth opening leaks were actually mask movement leaks. My overall pressure needs have reduced slightly...not that the pressure I was using was ever an issue for me...it is nice to see the pressures not go quite so high in REM. I am sleeping more soundly....less wake ups from mask issues though I will be honest I didn't have very many wake ups to fiddle with the P10...but I did have some...now I have zero.
I will happily add 10 seconds to my routine for those bonuses.
does applying the adhesive strips on the nose seem like it is sustainable? In other words, is this something that gets old over time?
Actually it has become less work overall the longer I use the Bleep....easier to sustain the longer I use it. At first I did think it might get old...that little bit of extra work but to my surprise the "work" is now just a minor addition to my nightly routine. Less annoying...not more annoying.

You folks that are totally happy with whatever mask you are using....don't really want to change or try anything new....hey, don't change..don't try something new. No one is forcing you to do anything.
Those that aren't totally happy....you are the ones that should try a new mask if it interests you...any mask, doesn't matter if it is the Bleep or whatever....if you aren't totally happy and something looks interesting to you and you want to try it then try it. Wanting to is good enough reason in my book to try anything.

Pros and cons to any mask out there...always has been and always will be. Each person has to decide what is more important to them...doesn't matter what is important to someone else.
Coffee Man wrote:
I have a question for those that received the mask ahead of time from the company (such as Pugsy). Did you have to pay for the mask and supplies? Do you currently have to pay for supplies, or are you given supplies free by the manufacturer? Or, are supplies covered by insurance?
Why is this question important to you? Do you think that it would make any difference in what I would say about this mask?
I find it a bit nosy.
As part of any trial with any mask prior to public release the manufacturers always send out masks for free. It's just the way things are done when people are part of any demo trial. The participants get a free mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Coffee Man

Post by Coffee Man » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am

Coffee Man wrote:
Why is this question important to you? Do you think that it would make any difference in what I would say about this mask?
I find it a bit nosy.
As part of any trial with any mask prior to public release the manufacturers always send out masks for free. It's just the way things are done when people are part of any demo trial. The participants get a free mask.
I don’t think it’s nosy. I think it’s well known that when people receive things for free that they are more likely to give positive reviews. Not to suggest that anyone (such as yourself) who received anything free would give an impartial review, but it is something that I think can affect a reviewer’s interpretation of a product. Again, no disrespect meant.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 am

Coffee Man wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 am
I think it’s well known that when people receive things for free that they are more likely to give positive reviews.
And I don't think that is "well known" at all. So I strongly disagree with you on that statement.
Paid to try a product ...yeah...Paid for the review...yeah....some people might lean towards a more positive review or tone down the negatives.
Just because it is free....I don't think that at all. You are of course entitled to your opinion.
I do think the question is nosy and you may not have meant to slap me in the face and question my integrity....but that's how it came across to me.

To be clear...I would gladly have paid for this mask back in December if that is what it would have taken for me to get the Bleep to try it.
It wasn't available anywhere on the retail market yet so my only choice was to beg one from the manufacturer and it came with zero strings attached except for an honest review of MY experience.

I was paid nothing for anything....I got a free mask to try as part of a trial which is common place with any new mask. There are other people on this forum who have been able to do the same thing with new to the market masks...they are part of the clinical trials. It doesn't cloud their reviews or thoughts just because it was free.
The only way manufacturers learn about how the public feels about a new mask is to let the public try it. If it has warts and boo boos the manufacturer would much rather learn about it during a clinical trial than after the public release. They want to fix the warts and boo boos before it goes out on the market.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Coffee Man wrote:
For people who’ve been using the Bleep for a while...does applying the adhesive strips on the nose seem like it is sustainable? In other words, is this something that gets old over time?
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

"does it get old". well, yes, it gets old. putting on any mask 'gets old'. having to change the oil in my car 'gets old'. taking out the trash at night 'gets old', the whole process of masking up 'gets old'.

I assume by "gets old" means "it's not new and exciting anymore". Yeah, I'd say it 'gets old', just like everything else in your life that's routine but necessary.

Now, if you mean "gets old" as in "seems to be an increasingly unwanted burden"....

Then no, it's not an increasing burden, in fact, as time goes on, with more experience at the process, it becomes less of a burden.
Coffee Man wrote:
I did not pay for the mask and supplies, they weren't on the market yet. I'm still using the initial bag of adhesive ports.

The inventor didn't tell me what to write in my review, though he did ask me to be clear that I decided to ignore his strong suggestions that I read the directions and watch the videos before using it. I wanted to be that customer that throws away the manual without reading it, and see how I could fare on my own. He did look over my review before it went up on the forum, and asked me to add that clarification, but he did not ask me to change anything.

It wasn't a 'paid' review, if that's what you're getting at.
Coffee Man wrote:

I could certainly see the appeal, though, to users that have not found a mask they have found suitable.
No mask is perfect, though I've been very happy with the P10. It's faster to put on than the N30I, it's lighter, etc. But, the Bleep is more stable once it's on, and putting it on, while it does take a minute, is not a burden... and once it's on, it's on.

Last edited by palerider on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Dreaming1 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am
While that setup time is longer, it’s well worth it for the trade off of the other mess I dealt with.
That's what I thought... takes a little more time at the start of the night, but then less (no) time during the night. That's a win.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Coffee Man wrote:
no disrespect meant.
But, there is disrespect.
Coffee Man wrote:
Not to suggest that anyone (such as yourself) who received anything free would give an impartial review,
In fact, that's what you said. You said that you don't think that someone that got something free would give an impartial review.

But, i get it... "are you being paid for this review?"

I'm not paid, but I didn't have to spend money for something that couldn't be bought at the time I reviewed it.

See the problem there?

There are starting to be reviews by people that *did* spend their money on it, we'll see what they think.

Full disclosure, etc, I didn't pay for the Bleep (seems wrong to call it a mask). I'm not completely happy with the Bleep, but then, I've never been completely happy with any mask, I wish Bleep could steal the P10 hose and use it, but, patent infringement and all that, maybe I'll do my own 'grafting' at some point. The plastic clips are scratchy on my upper lip, but, i usually wear a headband over my mouth anyway, so that doesn't bother me. The vent is a bit bothersome for me, but then, that's a common thread for most masks, but I was able to fix that for free with a little ingenuity.

I want to see the company succeed, because I think it's a novel idea, and fills a need for some people. Maybe not you, but certainly there are others that fight with leaks, or don't like strap marks, and this thing will hit their sweet spot dead center.