Distilled Water or Filtered?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raisedfist

Re: Distilled Water or Filtered?

Post by raisedfist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:45 am

It doesn't matter as long as you're using water that is drinkable

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm

KnightSleeper wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 am
Question for Palerider and those in the know... When regular water leaves deposits in the tub, might it also leave deposits somewhere else in the machine... on the way out??? :?
The biggest reason for deposits is evaporation. All the water evaporates leaving deposits in the tank. The minerals don't evaporate, and are left in the tank.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm

KnightSleeper wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Thanks for your reply... Can any moisture form and/or evaporate in other parts of the machine... or is this impossible? - - And are there any other reasons that could cause deposits being left in the machine??? Thanks!
Only possible way would be water spilled backwards into the machine and that's darn near impossible now with the way the water chambers are designed now. Takes some weird positions for the water to flow backwards into the blower.
Now the blowers back when I first started therapy on those old machines were fairly easy to get water into the blower if you jostled or turned the machine over.
If you did that though....deposits were the least of your worries. Fried electronics was the usual result.
For deposits to happen the area first has to get water on it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Not in the device itself.

The tank is full of water, and the water might contain sediment.

The water is evaporated, and the vapour does NOT contain any sediment, leaving sediment in the tank. The vapour is blown into the hose and mask and may condense back into liquid within the tube and mask, but no longer has particles in it to leave.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 pm

KnightSleeper wrote:
Question for Palerider and those in the know... When regular water leaves deposits in the tub, might it also leave deposits somewhere else in the machine... on the way out??? :?
No, the deposits are left in the tank because the water vapor evaporates, it can't carry the minerals, or bacteria, or viruses, and certainly not brain eating amoeba.

Evaporation of water is the first step in distillation, the second is condensation of that water vapor back to water... In a still, this distilled water.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 pm

KnightSleeper wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm
KnightSleeper wrote:
The biggest reason for deposits is evaporation. All the water evaporates leaving deposits in the tank. The minerals don't evaporate, and are left in the tank.
Thanks for your reply... Can any moisture form and/or evaporate in other parts of the machine... or is this impossible? - - And are there any other reasons that could cause deposits being left in the machine??? Thanks!
Under normal operation, no. The humidifier is the last part of the CPAP.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm

The water is evaporated, and the vapour does NOT contain any sediment, leaving sediment in the tank. The vapour is blown into the hose and mask and may condense back into liquid within the tube and mask, but no longer has particles in it to leave.
The water that condenses in the hose is, in effect, distilled water, even if you started with tap water.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:49 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:32 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:

The water that condenses in the hose is, in effect, distilled water, even if you started with tap water.
I hope you're not suggesting double distilled isn't twice as good as single distilled.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm

KnightSleeper wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 pm
palerider wrote:
Dog Slobber wrote:

Thanks Palerider. Do any of the chemicals in the tap water, ie, chlorine, fluiride, etc... have any impact on anyone? I realize we sometimes drink those chemicals in our water, but in this application, not that I would know anything at all about this, I'm talking about the extra effect that Zonker (not our Zonker!!!) might get using a bong....??? :|
If any, then less than taking a shower and breathing in the steam from the hot water, and the aerosolized water droplets from the spray.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:49 pm
palerider wrote:
Dog Slobber wrote:

I hope you're not suggesting double distilled isn't twice as good as single distilled.
"Shakes fist" we're not talking vodka here.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:07 pm

after reading this thread, i've decided to quit buying ANY sort of water and use dog slobber.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:11 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 am
nicholasjh1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 am
depends on how hard your water is. Mine has a ton of chlorine, and even filtered starts leaving deposits after only 1 night, so I always try to use distilled and will only use filtered as backup if I run out of distilled. otherwise I have to constantly rinse it with vinegar.
Chlorine, or more likely, chloramine, doesn't leave deposits, it evaporates. (chlorine is a gas, after all). And, vinegar would not remove it.
point is there is something hard in the water... thanks for the clarification
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:31 am
nicholasjh1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am
Also I'll back up that distilled water is in fact NOT sterile. when I use sprouts distilled water I always get this weird pink mold, so I've stopped ever using it for that reason. I use king soopers instead.
The pink stuff isn't any form of mold, it's an airborne bacteria: http://edenprairieweblogs.org/scottneal/post/1338/
I realize that. Didn't think it was worth distinguishing.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:17 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:31 am
nicholasjh1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am
Also I'll back up that distilled water is in fact NOT sterile. when I use sprouts distilled water I always get this weird pink mold, so I've stopped ever using it for that reason. I use king soopers instead.
The pink stuff isn't any form of mold, it's an airborne bacteria: http://edenprairieweblogs.org/scottneal/post/1338/
I realize that. Didn't think it was worth distinguishing.
Might as well call it blood, or a tree, or dog slobber if it's not "worth distinguishing".

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:06 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Might as well call it blood, or a tree, or dog slobber if it's not "worth distinguishing".
is this another vote in favor of my new plan to use dog slobber in my humidifier?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg