Noisy machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NyNurse33

Noisy machine

Post by NyNurse33 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:02 pm

So as you know I have been using the M series for a couple of months now and have not had too many problems other than rainout ( we won't go there ). It has been a pretty quiet machine with more noise using the swift than the CL2, but still tolerable. Well the other morning, my husband told me that my machine was so noisy he could hardly sleep and that is has been becoming more noisy lately. He had no complaints before. It starts out fine, while I'm falling asleep, but I have no idea what it is doing in the middle of the night, when he comes to bed around 4 am, about 5 hours after I've been on it. (he works nights). Last night around 3 am, it must of been doing something, b/c all I remember saying to my sleepy self "I can't be bothered to fool around with it now, I'll just take it off" I have no idea what it was doing. I also have found myself less tolerant of the whole cpap therapy on a whole lately. Why would that be after 3 1/2 months? Several times lately in the middle of the night, I just want to take it off. Any ideas of what could be causing the noise? Please don't tell me I have to download to find out. I haven't bought the darn smart card reader yet ( I know RG.....I'm sorry, saying " I have been so busy I forgot" won't cut it!) I plan on doing that before the end of the week. By the way the little improvement I have had since using cpap hasn't gone away from lack of 100% compliance. Well once again, any ideas or thoughts are always appreciated. Thanks.

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:42 pm

leaks will cause the machine to get more noisy, it has to rev up the motor to increase or maintain the pressure.

Next time it happens, ask your husband to check your mouth to see if you are not mouth breathing as that can also cause the machine to rev up and be more noisy.

I am pretty sensitive to noise, in fact I have a very difficult time falling asleep with any especially from the machine. I found the quieter your mask is the more noisy the machine will appear (mask noise doesn't drown out machine noise).

The Soyala I started using a few weeks back is dead silent, no hiss, no noise as you breathe out, no leaks. This mask has a lower leak rate and as a result my machine is even quieter than it was before using a UMFF.

Have you thought about maybe putting the machine on the floor or under the bed?

I know that could be difficult with the water leak problems, you could easily get water in the machine and ruin it. Putting the machine much lower than your bed not only makes it quieter but would help with your past rainout problems (hose has to go vertical to get to your mask so any water that forms flows back to the machine, but with that swivel elbow it could leak on the floor).

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:08 pm

I'm inclinded to think it may be a leak too! Like snoredog says, a machine has to rev up to accomodate the airflow leak, no matter where the leak may be occuring (hose, mask , mouth)
You really need to view data to get a better idea.

genecpap

Post by genecpap » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi. What does the noise sound like? Is it hissing or a high pitched whine?

mattman

Post by mattman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:36 pm

I would definately suggest trotting down to the DME that provided your machine and asking them to download your card for you real quick to see if anything jumps out (Such as the leaks mentioned above) and you could also talk to them and see if they would be willing to switch your unit out. I wouldn't think everyone would be willing to do so, but a lot of them would and it can't hurt to ask. Especially if you've got a good relationship with them.

mattman

Snuffles

Post by Snuffles » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:46 am

Hello

The noise may be worn bearing or what the others say a air leak. Do you rent yoour machine or do rent them? If your rent they can change them to machine that works properly.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 am

My machine gets a little noisier if I do not change the filter about every 10- to 14 days (I have the M auto). Have you changed your filter(s) regularly?

TM

bsil

Post by bsil » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:52 am

I also use the Swift and found a leak where the Swift hose connects to the machine hose. The Swift hose is very thin at that point. So, I used black plumbers tape and wrapped that area well and extended 3 inches up the Swift hose. When my machine requires higher pressures, it does get noisier.
As stated by others, this could be due to hose leaks and certainly mouth leaks. Do you tape or Poligrip your mouth shut?

What I would do is, after ruling out hose/mouth leaks, I would consult your DME. Before I purchased the Smart Card program, I had the DME run the card or even my sleep doc.
Good Luck.