Whine, using PR DreamStation without humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sasesusos

Whine, using PR DreamStation without humidifier

Post by sasesusos » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:43 am

To save space, I used to travel with my RemStar without the humidifier, and it worked fine. My new DreamStation seems designed the same way, but when I connect the hose directly to the main unit, without the humidifier, I hear a fairly loud annoying whine that goes up and down in pitch as I breathe. The whine appears to be coming right from the mask itself, i.e. where the air is designed to escape. It is really annoying and I found that it does interfere with my sleep. Has anyone else run into this problem and solved it?

Chris8243

Re: Whine, using PR DreamStation without humidifier

Post by Chris8243 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:12 am

Did you remove the entire humidifier (back half of the unit) or are you simply not using the water tray?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:36 pm

sasesusos wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:43 am
To save space, I used to travel with my RemStar without the humidifier, and it worked fine. My new DreamStation seems designed the same way, but when I connect the hose directly to the main unit, without the humidifier, I hear a fairly loud annoying whine that goes up and down in pitch as I breathe.
It's what they do... you're hearing the fan.

It's why I got rid of my Respironics system one, I could hear it across the bed when my partner was sleeping. Can't hear the Resmeds.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:46 pm

I did notice that this machine is considerably louder without the humidifier attached. I need the humidity anyhow, so it's not a concern.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:36 pm

It's why I got rid of my Respironics system one, I could hear it across the bed when my partner was sleeping. Can't hear the Resmeds.
I'm really surprised at your comment Palerider! My Dreamstation is very quiet - I have to put my hand up near my mask to see if it's turned on. That quiet. And I'm not hard of hearing! My husband also says it's quiet, it never bothers him. I never tried using it without the humidifier.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:14 pm

Chris8243 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 pm
palerider wrote:

I'm really surprised at your comment Palerider! My Dreamstation is very quiet - I have to put my hand up near my mask to see if it's turned on. That quiet. And I'm not hard of hearing! My husband also says it's quiet, it never bothers him. I never tried using it without the humidifier.
PR's experience was years ago with the first of the PR System One machines and some of them were very loud....later versions of the System One had more sound insulation material inside but some of them were still a bit noisy.
I have used the Respironics M series...and the 2 different System One models and I got lucky and not horribly noisy per my husband but they were all more noisy than any ResMed machine I ever used.

I think 2 things going on..
1....some machines on any brand are lemons and noisy and sometimes a lot noisy...I got lucky and mine weren't horribly noisy. I was able to tune out the noise which was mostly Darth Vadar breathing noise which wasn't related to the motor but instead just conducted breathing noise. More noise and a whining motor...not normal noise and we shouldn't be expected to accept it or use ear plugs. To me that's just plain wrong.
2....Some people are simply more sensitive to various noises than others might be...so unless I can hear what someone else hears...I don't have any way to compare what I hear to what they hear.

Though I do think that any machine that the bed partner can hear enough that their sleep is disturbed....must be something wrong with it.
And for sure if someone can hear it across the room...that's not normal motor noise and it's probably a lemon or something is failing in the motor or fan housing.
PR got a used machine...off craigslist...did he get a lemon or an old machine on its last legs...dunno but it might have been a little of both.

I have never had a chance to use or listen to a DreamStation to compare any motor noise...so I can't really say if Respironics is just having more than its share of lemons or not.

If someone wants to loan me their machine I would be happy to experiment though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:20 pm

Chris8243 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 pm
palerider wrote:

A faint (enough that the AC running would mask it) variable whine is a common comment about the Respironics machines. it's certainly not "loud", but it's there... the pitch will depend on the pressure that's being used, so maybe that's why some people don't notice, or maybe their hearing is a little depressed in those frequencies, or maybe there's enough background noise... could be a lot of things.

Resmed doesn't have the same issue, because they have a smaller, faster fan that would generate sound at a different pitch.

I had the same thing with my older, original Resprionics, my later System One, and I've heard multiple people complain about it on the Dreamstation.

PS, Costco offers free hearing evaluations for it's members, mine is "better than average", for my age group, so maybe that's part of the issue too.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sasesusos

Post by sasesusos » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:24 pm

The whine is only a problem when the humidifier is detached and the hose is connected directly to the main unit.

The whine appears to be conducted through the hose to the mask, and sounds like it is close to my ears, and it rises and falls in pitch with my breathing: eeeeeeeeee-yewwwwww-eeeeeee-yewwww.

If the humidifier is attached, the hose connected to the humidifier, and the humidification turned down to zero, there's no problem. It's not silent but the whine is barely audible.

I go camping, and the battery I use can power it through the night easily with the humidifier off, but not with it on. However this spring we'll be flying instead of driving to our campground, so space is at a premium and I don't want to bring the humidifier at all.

rapadron

Post by rapadron » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 pm

sasesusos wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:43 am
To save space, I used to travel with my RemStar without the humidifier, and it worked fine. My new DreamStation seems designed the same way, but when I connect the hose directly to the main unit, without the humidifier, I hear a fairly loud annoying whine that goes up and down in pitch as I breathe. The whine appears to be coming right from the mask itself, i.e. where the air is designed to escape. It is really annoying and I found that it does interfere with my sleep. Has anyone else run into this problem and solved it?
I noticed the same issue while traveling. The sound of rushing air plus that annoying whining pitch.
I’m hoping there’s a way to fix this since travelling without the humidifier is way more portable.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:36 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:20 pm

PS, Costco offers free hearing evaluations for it's members, mine is "better than average", for my age group, so maybe that's part of the issue too.
and just WHAT IS that "age group"?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:14 pm

My dreamstation is louder as well when used without humidifier half. Kind of sounds like more air turbulence.

Now that I think about it the humidifier part may act like a muffler?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:36 pm
palerider wrote:

Upper fifties.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:58 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:14 pm
My dreamstation is louder as well when used without humidifier half. Kind of sounds like more air turbulence.

Now that I think about it the humidifier part may act like a muffler?
If you frequently use the Dreamstation without a humidifier you should get the "Respironics DreamStation Muffler Flow Generator Cover" that covers the back and adds a muffler chamber. It eliminates the whine, gives the back a sleek look, and feeds the hose from the top. They are hard to find but Second Wind has them. Most cpap shops also carry the hose muffler which I've used for years.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:21 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 pm
zonker wrote:
palerider wrote:

Upper fifties.

so you ARE young enough for me to consider a whipper snapper!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:44 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:21 pm
palerider wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 pm
zonker wrote:
palerider wrote:

Upper fifties.

so you ARE young enough for me to consider a whipper snapper!
And, if not... young enough at heart... so go right ahead :D