Mouth guards - effective ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
heartchakra

Mouth guards - effective ?

Post by heartchakra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:27 am

Hello ,

Has anyone has success using dentist -fitted mouth guards to treat their apnea.

I understand they do not work for all and not for severe cases.

Also, can they worsen the problem ?

Thanks 😊

heartchakra

Re: Mouth guards - effective ?

Post by heartchakra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Bump

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:04 pm

If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:37 pm

The NFL seems to find them useful. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:27 pm

@grayghost4 thanks for those links :)

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Thanks for the links :)

I see in one of the posts you have written in 2014 , you too have been using a MAD - are you still using it with good success ?

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:01 am

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:37 pm
The NFL seems to find them useful. :lol: Jim
And a LOT of NFL players do seem to be sleeping while playing.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:33 am

OP is just wondering about any potential issues with a mouth guard provided by a dentist for her mom.
She monitors her mom's health closely because she cares.
Just wants the best for her mom and I think we can all understand that.
She's just wanting to hear about pros and cons of a properly fitted oral device.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:43 am

We are going to assume that a dentist knows how to make a properly fitted oral device.

Why is this being offered to your mom?
What are the goals?
Which device is being used? There are tons out there.

The only real negative that I can think of is perhaps some TMJ or jaw joint issues from too aggressive movement settings for the device if the device is one that the goal is to move the mandible.
There are devices that don't attempt to reshape the airway though.

So it would be helpful to know exactly which device is being tried and why...and is the thought to maybe not use cpap???

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:01 am

I don't really know. My guess is that the exact nature of a given individual's obstruction would be determinative.

Under no circumstances would it work for Central Sleep Apnea.

Also, I don't know if you can get compliance or efficacy data from a dental device the way you can from CPAP.

HuffDog

Post by HuffDog » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:31 am

I used a MAD for 2 years. It worked well for me, for the most part. I found it to be less effective when I gained some weight, or slept on my back.

I recently moved over to a APAP because I didn't feel it was giving me the full therapy that I needed. Also, i like being able to review my AHI in the mornings from my machine. I've only been on APAP for a week, but I think it's going to be a better option for me personally. Still dialing it in, but im getting there.

PROS

IMO, dental devices are more convenient. No machines to mess with, and it's easy to pack a MAD in an overnight bag. The only real maintenance is brushing it in the mornings to keep it clean.

CONS

Dental devices are more expensive than CPAP. Probably 2x the cost or more, depending on insurance, etc. You also cant monitor your therapy. For some this may not matter, but for me it's important. They're rather small, so losing them, or having your pet chew on them are distinct possibilities if not properly stored and cared for.

If she decides on a MAD, it's very important that the dentist also fits her with a morning "positioner". Because the MAD is essentially holding the lower jaw forward all night, it's important that it gets stretched back every day, otherwise there's a risk of creating an underbite.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:36 am

Also bear in mind folks that OP and her mother are NOT in the North America or South America region.
If I remember correctly over in India or some such place. They do things a little differently over there.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:43 am
We are going to assume that a dentist knows how to make a properly fitted oral device.

Why is this being offered to your mom?
What are the goals?
Which device is being used? There are tons out there.

The only real negative that I can think of is perhaps some TMJ or jaw joint issues from too aggressive movement settings for the device if the device is one that the goal is to move the mandible.
There are devices that don't attempt to reshape the airway though.

So it would be helpful to know exactly which device is being tried and why...and is the thought to maybe not use cpap???

Thanks Pugsy :) Btw i am male :)

Well, Mom seems to have REM sleep apnea - most of the night her readings are fine, but on some days ( not all ), she seems to get REM sleep related drops in O2 - I monitor her O2 using a recordable oximeter.
She refuses to even consider thinking of using a CPAP, so I thought I would try the MAD. It is a custom fitted one made by a dentist here who does this regularly - it pulls her lower jaw in front somewhat, so as to open up the airway.

heartchakra

Post by heartchakra » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:15 am

HuffDog wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:31 am
I used a MAD for 2 years. It worked well for me, for the most part. I found it to be less effective when I gained some weight, or slept on my back.

I recently moved over to a APAP because I didn't feel it was giving me the full therapy that I needed. Also, i like being able to review my AHI in the mornings from my machine. I've only been on APAP for a week, but I think it's going to be a better option for me personally. Still dialing it in, but im getting there.

PROS

IMO, dental devices are more convenient. No machines to mess with, and it's easy to pack a MAD in an overnight bag. The only real maintenance is brushing it in the mornings to keep it clean.

CONS

Dental devices are more expensive than CPAP. Probably 2x the cost or more, depending on insurance, etc. You also cant monitor your therapy. For some this may not matter, but for me it's important. They're rather small, so losing them, or having your pet chew on them are distinct possibilities if not properly stored and cared for.

If she decides on a MAD, it's very important that the dentist also fits her with a morning "positioner". Because the MAD is essentially holding the lower jaw forward all night, it's important that it gets stretched back every day, otherwise there's a risk of creating an underbite.
Thank you :)
Were you using a morning positioner since the start of using the MAD ? I had never heard of it - dont know what it means - but will ask the dentist.

What kind of apnea do you have - and can you pls elaborate some more on the effectiveness of your MAD ?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:24 am

heartchakra wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 am
Thanks Pugsy :) Btw i am male :)
Sorry...for some reason I thought you were an extremely caring daughter. :lol:
I will try to remember that you are an extremely caring son from now on....but I can't make any promises...old habits die hard with me and my memory sucks.

What I didn't understand was why the MAD....is it because she is not wanting to do the bipap?
Or is it in addition to the bipap?

And now I see that she doesn't want to do bipap/cpap. She's stubborn. :lol:

So ....have her try the MAD...it is certainly better than nothing and with it being made by a dentist I don't see any con to it at all.
No it may not be quite as effective as cpap/bipap but if she won't use the machine.....it's better than nothing and might just be enough to help her out.