Aimton Power Station and Dreamstation Go Issue ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cspicer

Aimton Power Station and Dreamstation Go Issue ?

Post by cspicer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:58 am

I do a lot of travel/camping on my motorcycle and use to use an older CPAP with a DC converter cable made by the manufacturer and an Aimton Multi-purpose Power Station with great success. The old machine died so I bought a Dreamstation Go and the manufacturer battery to replace my setup. Here is my issue I need help with. The manufacturer's battery has considerably less capacity of my Power Station and only works with the CPAP and nothing else. However, my Power Station is incredibly versatile for many things I want to power and I have tried to power the dreamstation go with the Power Station. It works great, but at some point in the night the CPAP turns off and I have to unplug it and plug it back into the Power Station to get it going again. I have no idea why. It is a newer unit that draws way less power than the 10-year-old unit I use to run on the same Power Station and I do not like the single use of the manufacturer's battery. Any idea, how to troubleshoot this issue?

Here is a link to the unit I am referring to.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0791Y ... UTF8&psc=1

zonker

Re: Aimton Power Station and Dreamstation Go Issue ?

Post by zonker » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:19 pm

sorry, i don't have the expertise to answer your question. i'm answering to "bump" this up.

forum member capnloki seems to be our resident expert on batteries. he should be along shortly to answer your question.

good luck!

(also, palerider has knowledge in this area and he usually puts in an appearance in a few hours)
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 am

Unfortunately I do not have any help for you either. I however would like to know what the answer is when you figure it out.

Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:21 am

cspicer wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:58 am
I do a lot of travel/camping on my motorcycle and use to use an older CPAP with a DC converter cable made by the manufacturer and an Aimton Multi-purpose Power Station with great success. The old machine died so I bought a Dreamstation Go and the manufacturer battery to replace my setup. Here is my issue I need help with. The manufacturer's battery has considerably less capacity of my Power Station and only works with the CPAP and nothing else. However, my Power Station is incredibly versatile for many things I want to power and I have tried to power the dreamstation go with the Power Station. It works great, but at some point in the night the CPAP turns off and I have to unplug it and plug it back into the Power Station to get it going again. I have no idea why. It is a newer unit that draws way less power than the 10-year-old unit I use to run on the same Power Station and I do not like the single use of the manufacturer's battery. Any idea, how to troubleshoot this issue?

Here is a link to the unit I am referring to.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0791Y ... UTF8&psc=1
I have been summoned but I'm not sure I can help. I'm assuming you're powering the Go with the AC outlet, which would mean you're using the built in inverter. This is probably 50-60% efficient meaning your "low power" Go is really using more power than your older machine (Respironics?) on a DC cord. Still, you shouldn't be pushing the limits of the battery in one night assuming there is no additional problem or load. So, the first test is to run the Go with its normal supply for a few nights and see if it shuts off with that. If the battery is old you might suspect its cells are weak, or it has some other problem. You might try using the battery to run your regular cpap (I assume the Go is not your only machine??) - depending on the model and settings, it should run it for a night without humidity.

I was disappointed when the Go was announced and it became clear it didn't run on 12V. I don't like the idea of a proprietary battery, so I ended up getting a duplicate regular DreamStation for travel/boating. It runs efficiently on 12V and is only slight bigger than the Go and doesn't weigh any more. I don't quite see the point of the Go unless you're committed to using its battery. BTW, there is an alternative battery - the Medistron 24 Lite with special adapter.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html