UARS & CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
miner49er

Re: UARS & CPAP

Post by miner49er » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:23 pm
miner49er wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:02 pm
actually I believe it may be possible to monitor AHI with a simple o2,
I hate to burst your bubble but overnight pulse oximeter results aren't always a reliable tool for evaluating sleep apnea because not everyone will have significant drops in oxygen along with the OSA events.
I have a good friend who had an in lab sleep study and came out of it with AHI of over 60. Pretty severe.
She never really had much of a drop during the sleep study....overall average reading awake was around 96% and she never dropped below 94%. Her pulse rate didn't vary much either. I saw the sleep study because I asked for it because what she was reporting was unusual.

Anyway...the absence of desats or pulse rate changes don't always mean everything is all hunky dory in the sleep apnea department.
It can give a pretty good indication of the presence of apnea but not always reliable for the absence of apnea.
im not particularly invested in that theory, just found it interesting that the number I saw happened to correlated to the official sleep test result. of course if I had done my apnea research earlier i would have save the $100 dollars i spend on the monitor because I don't really use it at all now.

#1 mogy fan

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:40 pm

miner49er wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:33 pm
im not particularly invested in that theory

Thank goodness.
Sanity prevails.

I was starting to wonder about you. :D

JPB

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:52 pm

miner49er wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:45 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:49 am
btw, is that you in the profile picture?
Is that YOU in the profile picture?

When did this turn into a dating site? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS, Chicago Gramps might be the jealous type.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:54 pm

miner49er wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:02 pm
jimbud wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 pm
Mogy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:20 pm
Hi miner49er,
I have not been diagnosed with UARs but I have OSA.
Also, I haven't tried acupuncture but I do tongue and throat exercises every day. Along with regular(6 out of 7 days a week) cardio exercise and weight management, I have brought my AHI from 20 down to 5. Just to be clear, this is untreated AHI. I don't use a machine now.
I believe the throat exercises are an important part of keeping me feeling well.
If you do not use a machine how do you know you are down to 5? :?
And holding. :wink:

JPB
actually I believe it may be possible to monitor AHI with a simple o2, blood pressure finger monitor.
I believe it may be possible for pigs to fly.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:51 pm

miner49er wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:48 am
Mogy wrote:
Hi miner49er,
Also, I haven't tried acupuncture but I do tongue and throat exercises every day. Along with regular(6 out of 7 days a week) cardio exercise and weight management, I have brought my AHI from 20 down to 5. Just to be clear, this is untreated AHI. I don't use a machine now.
I believe the throat exercises are an important part of keeping me feeling well.
What exercise programs are you on? The one i ordered seems to be much more focused on tongue than throat. (https://ijustwanttosleep.com/)
How do you feel at 5 ahi? good night sleep?
A Youtube video put out by South Dakota University exercise students and published by Gary van Guilder are mostly the ones I do. I have some others that I found other places. Mostly on Youtube. The ones I like are the ones I can do while driving to work.
When I first was diagnose with OSA and an AHI of 20, the APAP helped quite a bit. I believe it helped me keep my resolve to lose weight.
I feel quite good with an AHI of 5 and not using the machine. I don't find that the machine helps me feel any better now.
I know that I got my AHI down to 5 because I was tested. I have posted the actual test results on another thread here and on ApneaBoard.
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.
Not using a machine currently.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:08 pm

Mogy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:51 pm
I know that I got my AHI down to 5 because I was tested. I have posted the actual test results on another thread here and on ApneaBoard.
I know I am the Crown Prince of Latvia. I just can't produce the proof. :(

And holding? :wink:

JPB

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 pm

jimbud wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:08 pm
Mogy wrote:

JPB
Hi JPB,
And how do you know that you are getting effective treatment?😉😉😉
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Mogy wrote:
miner49er wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:48 am
Mogy wrote:
Hi miner49er,
What exercise programs are you on? The one i ordered seems to be much more focused on tongue than throat. (https://ijustwanttosleep.com/)
How do you feel at 5 ahi? good night sleep?
A Youtube video put out by South Dakota University exercise students and published by Gary van Guilder are mostly the ones I do. I have some others that I found other places. Mostly on Youtube. The ones I like are the ones I can do while driving to work.
When I first was diagnose with OSA and an AHI of 20, the APAP helped quite a bit. I believe it helped me keep my resolve to lose weight.
I feel quite good with an AHI of 5 and not using the machine. I don't find that the machine helps me feel any better now.
Mogy likes to come in here and drop little nuggets (just like rabbits leave their nuggets) of "alternative" and unproven patent nostrums for sleep apnea... like most charlatians, they're always saying "there's a better way" but for 'reasons' nobody believes/knows/is_allowed_to_talk about them...

Last edited by palerider on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Mogy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 pm
jimbud wrote:
Mogy wrote:

JPB
Hi JPB,
Check every morning. :D

I'm not the one spouting nonsense to newbies.
Proof. Put up or...
JPB

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 pm

jimbud wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:21 pm
Mogy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 pm
jimbud wrote:
Mogy wrote:

JPB
Hi JPB,
Check every morning. :D

I'm not the one spouting nonsense to newbies.
Proof. Put up or...
JPB
What do you check each morning?😉😉😉

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 pm

I think enough has been revealed now so that anyone reading this thread will see the light.
My point made.
My work here is done.

No "Ring Around the Rosie".

JPB

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:29 pm

What is so hard to believe?
Many people reduce their sleep apnea by losing weight. Do you not believe that? Countless studies have shown it to be true.
Weight loss:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11122588/
Quote from study:
"RESULTS: Relative to stable weight, a 10% weight gain predicted an approximate 32% (95% confidence interval [CI], 20%-45%) increase in the AHI. A 10% weight loss predicted a 26% (95% CI, 18%-34%) decrease in the AHI."

Exercise has been also shown to reduce sleep apnea. There are fewer studies but sufficient to show that it is also true.
There are also studies showing that combining weight loss and general exercise is better than only one by itself.
Do you believe that exercise does not help reduce sleep apnea?
General/cardio exercise:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4216726
Quote from study:
"The effect of exercise training on our primary outcome, AHI, was assessed by using two approaches. First, the pre-to postintervention analysis of five studies (six cohorts) showed a pooled estimate of mean change in AHI of −6.27 events/h (95 % CI −8.54 to −3.99; p < 0.001) with an I2=0% (Fig. 2), which reflected a 32 % reduction in AHI from baseline."

There are also fewer studies examining the tongue and throat exercises but enough to suggest that they also work. It also makes sense that they should work.
Is that you believe that exercising your neck and throat will not help to tone these muscles?
Tongue/throat exercise.
https://academic.oup.com/sleep/article/38/5/669/2416863
Quote from study:
"Current literature demonstrates that myofunctional therapy decreases AHI by approximately 50% in adults and 62% in children. Lowest oxygen saturation, snoring, and sleepiness outcomes improve in adults. Myofunctional therapy could serve as an adjunct to other OSA treatments."

These studies are not my work. I am not a scientist or a doctor. I do believe that the people doing these studies have spent a lot of time and energy trying to understand what helps people with sleep apnea.
You don't know unless you try.
Have you tried?

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 pm

jimbud wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 pm
I think enough has been revealed now so that anyone reading this thread will see the light.
My point made.
My work here is done.

No "Ring Around the Rosie".

JPB
I check every morning too.😉😉
At least we can agree on that.
Have a good sleep!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 am

More little brown pellets from mogy.

miner49er

Post by miner49er » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am

Alright...

update: still waiting on the call from the cpap supplier. sleep has been very bad, first hour in the morning is a real test of willpower. No wonder I'm not a morning person.

#1 mogy fan