UARS & CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
miner49er

Re: UARS & CPAP

Post by miner49er » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:54 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:35 am
miner49er wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 am
I tried turning flex off but at a min of 7 it feels hard to exhale against the pressure.
What kind of physical shape or what kind of health problem do you have that you can't exhale easily against 7.0?
I have some nasal and sinus congestion that gets worse at night when I lie down which may be it. I will try a full night tonight with flex off and we will see. Last night it felt like I would not be able to sleep
Last post was made in the morning on very low quality sleep. I have decided to wait until the one month checkup and bring the issue up with my sleep doc. I need the titration study covered by insurance after all as those can get up to $5k as i read.

#1 mogy fan

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:46 pm

miner49er wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:54 am
I need the titration study covered by insurance
A titration study might help you.
miner49er wrote:
as those can get up to $5k as i read.
Somebody is overcharging or confusing the billed price with the price allowed by insurance. MDsave shows the national average as $1484 with a range of $943 - $2177.
miner49er wrote:
I have some nasal and sinus congestion that gets worse at night when I lie down which may be it.
That could be. But, when I hear a newbie having problems exhaling against the pressure, I always wonder if it is anxiety. Newbies who can relax and fall asleep may breathe gently and easily like they never believed they could.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:30 pm

miner49er wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:35 am
miner49er wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 am
I tried turning flex off but at a min of 7 it feels hard to exhale against the pressure.
What kind of physical shape or what kind of health problem do you have that you can't exhale easily against 7.0?
I have some nasal and sinus congestion that gets worse at night when I lie down which may be it. I will try a full night tonight with flex off and we will see. Last night it felt like I would not be able to sleep
Last post was made in the morning on very low quality sleep. I have decided to wait until the one month checkup and bring the issue up with my sleep doc. I need the titration study covered by insurance after all as those can get up to $5k as i read.
As I mentioned in another thread... either turn off *flex (or turn it down), or just ignore the pressure changes, and breathe the way you want to.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

miner49er

Post by miner49er » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:35 pm

used the full face mask last night without flex. sleep for an unknown amount of time before i had to take it off because was sore under my nose. pretty good result. seems to be a lot easier to breath out through nostrils because there is more space. im surprised the full face mask works at all. it seems like it just blasts air into your face...

my doctor claims that resmed and Respironics machines are equal, and problems are generally not caused by comfort features. i do respect his work but at the same time, i am clearly using the device and its a lot easier to breath with the flex off. He also says that with my degree of sleep apnea, a bilevel machine is not likely to be approved by insurance. I have RDI of 18 or 19, this is in the moderate degree of sleep apnea, right? I definitely feel excessively tired and sore all day.

also, question for bleep users, is it better than the aifit p10? do the openings actually go INTO your nostrals or just attach to the outside? I can't breath right with thing in my nostrals.

also, a family friend is a pulmonologist. are you allowed to have 2 sleep doctors at the same time? can they both prescribe things?

#1 mogy fan

slowriter

Post by slowriter » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 pm

miner49er wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:35 pm
also, question for bleep users, is it better than the aifit p10? do the openings actually go INTO your nostrals or just attach to the outside?
I've not used the p10, but I'm a big fan of the bleep. With a few tweaks, it's very comfortable, very quiet, and basically zero leaks.

Attaches to outside.

miner49er

Post by miner49er » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:53 pm

slowriter wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 pm
miner49er wrote:
also, question for bleep users, is it better than the aifit p10? do the openings actually go INTO your nostrals or just attach to the outside?
I've not used the p10, but I'm a big fan of the bleep. With a few tweaks, it's very comfortable, very quiet, and basically zero leaks.

Attaches to outside.
i was aiming more at pugsy. im pretty sure she tries a lot of masks

what was your RDI with the sleep test?

#1 mogy fan

miner49er

Post by miner49er » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:13 pm

also guys, one more question.
when you sleep at night, is one of your nostrals always congested? I have been congested for so long i don't know what is normal.
Thanks!!!

#1 mogy fan

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm

miner49er wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:13 pm
I have been congested for so long i don't know what is normal.
Are you under the care of an ENT? If not, it's time for a consultation at which the ENT will do a physical examination. It's likely he can do something for you which will make CPAP so much easier and life better.

miner49er

Post by miner49er » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:24 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm
miner49er wrote:
I have been congested for so long i don't know what is normal.
Are you under the care of an ENT? If not, it's time for a consultation at which the ENT will do a physical examination. It's likely he can do something for you which will make CPAP so much easier and life better.
yes, i am having a ct on my sinuses tomorrow. i already had turbinate reduction and get allergy shots and flonase 2x daily. still congested fully on one side and pressure buildup at night. but maybe this is normal?

#1 mogy fan

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 pm

miner49er wrote:

my doctor claims that resmed and Respironics machines are equal, and problems are generally not caused by comfort features. i do respect his work but at the same time, i am clearly using the device and its a lot easier to breath with the flex off. He also says that with my degree of sleep apnea, a bilevel machine is not likely to be approved by insurance.
Your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:29 pm

miner49er wrote:
also guys, one more question.
when you sleep at night, is one of your nostrals always congested? I have been congested for so long i don't know what is normal.
Thanks!!!
No

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:32 pm

miner49er wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:24 pm
but maybe this is normal?
No!
miner49er wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:24 pm
yes, i am having a ct on my sinuses tomorrow. i already had turbinate reduction and get allergy shots and flonase 2x daily.
Good to hear!

miner49er

Post by miner49er » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 pm
miner49er wrote:

my doctor claims that resmed and Respironics machines are equal, and problems are generally not caused by comfort features. i do respect his work but at the same time, i am clearly using the device and its a lot easier to breath with the flex off. He also says that with my degree of sleep apnea, a bilevel machine is not likely to be approved by insurance.
Your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about.
yea i felt that way. he hasn't had to sleep with a cpap machine. hate when doctors cop out of making judgements by citing vague studies and clinical reporting

#1 mogy fan

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi miner49er,
I just noticed that I have a fan now! Thanks!
I was very honoured to be put on Palerider's list, but this is going to make my head swell. And we all know that a swollen head is not good for sleep apnea.
Cheers!
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.
Not using a machine currently.

miner49er

Post by miner49er » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Mogy wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:28 pm
Hi miner49er,
I just noticed that I have a fan now! Thanks!
I was very honoured to be put on Palerider's list, but this is going to make my head swell. And we all know that a swollen head is not good for sleep apnea.
Cheers!
#teammogy

#1 mogy fan