Covid-19, CPAP cleaning regimen

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roadcycler

Re: Covid-19, CPAP cleaning regimen

Post by roadcycler » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Saw that on the news last night. With Italy have one of the highest older populations in the world it is really hitting extremely hard with a high death rate and sever illness. ALL travel has been banned except for a limited set of reasons and a note is still required. So many of the population has lost someone the love or know, life is in chaos as Italy also depends on tourism for most of its GDP which is now non-existent. How does supplies get transported etc. We feel for you and hope that it has peaked there and will get better soon.

Rob

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 pm

roadcycler wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:45 pm
Saw that on the news last night. With Italy have one of the highest older populations in the world it is really hitting extremely hard with a high death rate and sever illness. ALL travel has been banned except for a limited set of reasons and a note is still required. So many of the population has lost someone the love or know, life is in chaos as Italy also depends on tourism for most of its GDP which is now non-existent. How does supplies get transported etc. We feel for you and hope that it has peaked there and will get better soon.

Rob
Refugees--where are they now?

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:17 pm

colomom wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:11 pm
In an emotional Facebook post, Dr. Daniele Macchini, an Intensive Care Unit physician in Bergamo, Italy warns of the true nature and danger of Covid -19.
https://www.thelocal.it/20200311/hospit ... s-outbreak

Here are some excerpts from his Facebook post:
I read this article today. It was written by a doctor in western Europe.

YOUNG AND UNAFRAID OF THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC? GOOD FOR YOU. NOW STOP KILLING PEOPLE
Statistically speaking—judging by the curve in China—we are not even at the peak yet, but our fatality rate is at over 6 percent, double the known global average.

Put aside statistics. Here is how it looks in practice. Most of my childhood friends are now doctors working in north Italy. In Milan, in Bergamo, in Padua, they are having to choose between intubating a 40-year-old with two kids, a 40-year old who is fit and healthy with no co-morbidities, and a 60-year-old with high blood pressure, because they don't have enough beds. In the hallway, meanwhile, there are another 15 people waiting who are already hardly breathing and need oxygen.
This is just a preview of what's about to happen in the US. And this virus isn't going anywhere. Even if it goes dormant over the summer, it'll be back in the fall. If we're lucky, we'll have a vaccine by then. "If" being the key word here.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:14 pm

Apparently survivor antibodies may be useful in treatment or even developing a vaccine.
The panic may well contribute to access to funds in order to speed the process.
Finally, science may rule.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:10 pm

Lifeisabeach wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:17 pm
Even if it goes dormant over the summer, it'll be back in the fall. If we're lucky, we'll have a vaccine by then.
Why do you think we could have a vaccine by fall? The FDA, NIH and CDC says testing will take at least a year after a vaccine has been developed.

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:18 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:10 pm
Lifeisabeach wrote:
Even if it goes dormant over the summer, it'll be back in the fall. If we're lucky, we'll have a vaccine by then.
Why do you think we could have a vaccine by fall? The FDA, NIH and CDC says testing will take at least a year after a vaccine has been developed.
I wasn't aware of what their exact position was, but I wasn't optimistic that it would happen that soon. Production alone would take some months to ramp up, I would think.

EDIT: if this gets serious enough, I wouldn't be surprised if they expedite testing or at least do widespread trials for the most vulnerable once they have a promising vaccine. My wife works for a clinical research organization that manages trials so she's somewhat aware of the rush to develop a vaccine. I'll have to ask her if she knows anything, but she's likely in the dark at this stage.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:25 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Lifeisabeach wrote:
The only thing the Government does correctly and fast is to impede the process and Quadruple the costs. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:29 pm

Lifeisabeach wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:18 pm
I wasn't aware of what their exact position was, but I wasn't optimistic that it would happen that soon. Production alone would take some months to ramp up, I would think.
It's possible that they could have some new treatments for infected people earlier than a vaccine. I'm praying that a good new treatment comes quickly.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:25 pm
The only thing the Government does correctly and fast is to impede the process and Quadruple the costs. Jim
Truth! Just got a new CPAP using Medicare. The number of people that got involved to fill out paperwork was appalling. If you could add it all together, there's probably 100 person-hours for one little machine.

colomom

Post by colomom » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:40 pm

It’s astounding how quickly things evolve and change. Because my son has pulmonary issues this virus really scared me. I love living in a small Colorado mountain town but it wouldn’t take much to overwhelm our small town hospital.
When I started this thread a few days back I myself felt like maybe I was being a germaphobe, I’m glad I was.

The first confirmed COVID-19 case showed up in Colorado 7 days ago. As of this morning results are in for 350 tests. There are 44 positive tests but the truly frightening thing is that those 45 tests span a large, diverse geographic area (11 counties). My son’s college has announced that after Spring Break classes will all be conducted on-line, I am thrilled that his school is being proactive and limiting exposure risks for their student population. I’ve started doing all the shopping for my mother, with the combination of her age and health issues this virus could be devastating for her.
Here in Colorado our local and state governments are being proactive and trying to greatly increase access to testing. They've set up a drive up test center in Denver and hope to set more up in other locations around the state once more tests are available. I hope other states will follow suite. Perhaps if the spread can be mapped and somewhat contained they can keep this from completely overwhelming our medical system.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:55 pm

colomom wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:40 pm
It’s astounding how quickly things evolve and change. Because my son has pulmonary issues this virus really scared me. I love living in a small Colorado mountain town but it wouldn’t take much to overwhelm our small town hospital.
When I started this thread a few days back I myself felt like maybe I was being a germaphobe, I’m glad I was.

The first confirmed COVID-19 case showed up in Colorado 7 days ago. As of this morning results are in for 350 tests. There are 44 positive tests but the truly frightening thing is that those 45 tests span a large, diverse geographic area (11 counties). My son’s college has announced that after Spring Break classes will all be conducted on-line, I am thrilled that his school is being proactive and limiting exposure risks for their student population. I’ve started doing all the shopping for my mother, with the combination of her age and health issues this virus could be devastating for her.
Here in Colorado our local and state governments are being proactive and trying to greatly increase access to testing. They've set up a drive up test center in Denver and hope to set more up in other locations around the state once more tests are available. I hope other states will follow suite. Perhaps if the spread can be mapped and somewhat contained they can keep this from completely overwhelming our medical system.
In Colorado here too. My son's school in Arapahoe county (cherry creek school district) had it's first case. I'm sure it's already everywhere. We simply haven't been testing. Hopefully Pneumonia will be less of a problem here with the dry air.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Lifeisabeach wrote:
You're correct. I think it depends on how bad it is. There is a chance to get the vaccine fast tracked, but you're correct... under normal circumstances a year of testing IS fast tracking something. So anything sooner would be some kind of emergency fast tracking.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:03 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:29 pm
Lifeisabeach wrote:
It's possible that they could have some new treatments for infected people earlier than a vaccine. I'm praying that a good new treatment comes quickly.
Yeah, It looks like a possible antiviral has been found, Camostat. It's not FDA approved though... it's a Japanese drug. Maybe this will finally change FDA policy on accepting other countries testing after review, My opinion is probably not though as by doing that they effectively create better economics for US drugs (here and abroad). Essentially the FDA is partially a guild created to protect US drug interest and economics.

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:46 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:29 pm
Lifeisabeach wrote:
It just occurred to me that fall is 6 months away. I'm still in this mindset that it's winter. Yeah, I don't see a vaccine coming that soon, even early clinical trials.

Aquarian

Post by Aquarian » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:51 pm

I live in KIrkland Washington. I am taking no special precautions with equipment Vinegar is fine by me.