Is the COVID pandemic making it harder to get CPAP machines and oxygen??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MarylandCPAPer2

Is the COVID pandemic making it harder to get CPAP machines and oxygen??

Post by MarylandCPAPer2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:10 pm

Is anyone else noticing that their DMEs are slow at supplying new CPAP machines, particularly the Resmed Airsense 10 for Her? I am wondering if they are being channeled to COVID patients for use as substitutes for ventilators or something. Or, has production slowed down..... or is a new upgraded machine in the pipeline to replace A10s?

My A10 started displaying that the motor life had been exceeded about 2 months ago. My dr. wrote a new prescription soon thereafter and covered all the Medicare bases. She submitted everything again last week after we had an office visit where CPAP was discussed and I gave her Resmed graphs to show compliance. July 1 was five years since I got the A10 that has exceeded its expected lifespan, and Medicare used to replace CPAP machines every 5 years, or so I heard, if a person proved compliance and got their dr. to write the proper wording. I feel like I ordered a Boeing airplane or something that had to be built from scratch. A10s should be on the shelf items at DMEs, since there is a constant influx of new CPAP users, yes?

I am now also wondering if there is a backlog of oxygen supplies due to COVID, since I am now being prescribed oxygen and the DME has been non-responsive regarding that, too.
Started CPAP 12/09. Currently use (since 2015) AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER.APAP Range: 11-20, AirFit P10 mask. Started home oxygen at 2L on 8/7/20.
Previously (2010 to 2015) APAP, Pressure 10-16. PR System One.. Was Maryland CPAPer 12/09 to 4/20.

Goofproof

Re: Is the COVID pandemic making it harder to get CPAP machines and oxygen??

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 pm

I don't know where you have been living, but I don't know of anything the COVID Pandemic has made easier for anybody, not in the World I live in. :roll: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

MarylandCPAPer2

Post by MarylandCPAPer2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:39 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 pm
I don't know where you have been living, but I don't know of anything the COVID Pandemic has made easier for anybody, not in the World I live in. :roll: Jim
I wasn't expecting anything to get easier. I just am wondering if the COVID pandemic is making A10s significantly harder to get because they are being diverted to use for COVID treatment or as ventilator substitutes.

The DME has been very efficient with offering new supplies allowed by Medicare every 3 months, just not the new CPAP machine itself.

Maryland CPAPer 2
Started CPAP 12/09. Currently use (since 2015) AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER.APAP Range: 11-20, AirFit P10 mask. Started home oxygen at 2L on 8/7/20.
Previously (2010 to 2015) APAP, Pressure 10-16. PR System One.. Was Maryland CPAPer 12/09 to 4/20.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:07 pm

I gave my DME a heads up that my Airsense had accumulated 17,000+ hours, and over five years.
He indicated that I would need to see my sleep doc first--which was done via Zoom,
A few days later, my machine was ready to be picked up, carside at their office.
So, no problem--maybe because I am such a cute little pest.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:10 am

Goofproof wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 pm
Well, not in the world where YOU live, but the pandemic has made getting an amateur radio license easier.

Prior to the pandemic, if you didn't live in Alaska, you had to wait for some group to hold a session, then drive there, (possibly hours away) then wait for your turn, and wait for them to grade the test, then wait (possibly weeks) for a license to be issued... unless you lived in Alaska, where the Anchorage VEC has been doing remote exams for years.

Now, all you have to do is sign up online, get into a zoom session, take your test, have it graded *in seconds* by computer, and then in most cases, you get your license (or upgrade) the next business day.

I've helped with 113 and seen almost 430 people get new licenses or upgrades in the time between May 15th and today.

So that's one thing that has been made much easier.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:10 am
the pandemic has made getting an amateur radio license easier.
I'll keep that in mind in case my AS 10 konks out. :mrgreen:

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am
palerider wrote:
At least you'll have someone to talk to during the night when you can't sleep :D

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:07 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am
palerider wrote:
At least you'll have someone to talk to during the night when you can't sleep :D
I still have all my CB equipment, two are 10 meter also. No more tower. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am

Probably. In fact Cpap is the first line of defense for the less severe patients (according to my mom who is a Nurse). Hospitals have been using CPAP for a long time for this kind of issue (breathing issues due to respiratory illness). So yes likely hospitals arming up for more and more patients, particularly in the high infection rate areas like California, New York, Texas, Arizona and Florida.

Would agree with COvid making some things easier. I'm on 3-5 zoom calls a week with my men's group, single parents group, Facilitation training for bioenergetic processes, an occaisional date, Online karaoke with my family that lives across the country, Plus some additional trainings for my men's group.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:29 am

On the plus side since CPAP is effective for less severe cases this means we're less likely to just die in the middle of the night if we catch it. I'd still head into the hospital though in case it takes a turn for the worse.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:05 am

I would insist on using my cpap in the hospital--or "I am not going!"

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:21 am

I suppose the answer to the topic question is "no".

MarylandCPAPer2

Post by MarylandCPAPer2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:42 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:21 am
I suppose the answer to the topic question is "no".
I think the answer is "It depends." I think my local DME is a lot busier, and for some reason, is either losing or misplacing faxes from my dr., thereby delaying my new A10. Or lying for some reason about the dr. not sending all the paperwork, to delay making a new machine available to me. I sure am glad the old A10 is lasting for at least 2 months past its normal motor life, or at least pretending to work. My Phillips Respironics System One APAP machine died at or before 5 years.

Also, I see people saying DMEs show up with oxygen 2 days after the doctor's prescription was submitted to the DME. Mine took a week. I wish the new APAP machine processing took only a week, not several months.

Maryland CPAPer 2

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Try calling the DME every single day.
Always be polite, but sounding a bit urgent.
Do not let him forget about you.
Be a pest, but be charming.
Or look for another provider, if possible.