Fingers crossed Vitamin D is my fix!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sptrout

Re: Fingers crossed Vitamin D is my fix!

Post by sptrout » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:01 pm

Anyone that is taking vitamin D remember that it is a fat soluble vitamin so take it with food that has fat in it. A "Vitnamin D fortified" food that is "non-fat" is an oxymoron. Taking vitamin K2-mk7 is also a great idea, but I for some reason have had problems with it and I have tried a multitude of brands. I think I am onto one now, will know for sure in a week or two.

I have tested this tablet enough for today, LOL.

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

elsueno

Post by elsueno » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 am

x

Last edited by elsueno on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 am

USMCVet wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 pm
I've spent thousands on sleep. From mattresses, to adjustable bases, to toppers, pillows, sheets and comforters and Ive still always been tired.

I finally "fired" my VA primary care team to get a new one. I laid it all out there including exhaustion, muscle pain and spasms, muscle fatiguability, and basically whole body hurts.

New primary ordered blood work and so far I've learned I most likely don't have RA, that I have elevated crp levels but normal sed rate and that my vitamin D is 6! 12 and under is deficient. So I'll be starting lots of vitamin D soon.

Still waiting on more blood work but hoping vitamin D will bring some relief.
I take d3 on Dr.'s advice for 5 years because sleepy all the time. I cant tell it has done a thing for me except make Dr. happy with blood results. I originally complained because of taking naps morning, noon, night (esp. after meal) and he told me it was likely a learned condition. It is a rare day when I stay awake all day. Maybe it will work for you!

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:24 pm

I have occasionally (and recently) watched a particular video series called MedCram - Medical Lectures Explained CLEARLY on YouTube because they do an excellent job in clearly explaining many things COVID-related that I can actually understand. I'm a visual learner and the colorful graphs and diagrams they use in explaining medical-related topics really help me better understand and comprehend the subject being discussed.

Over the past 9 months, MedCram has discussed Vitamin D often and links showing that those with higher Vitamin D levels seem to do better in dealing with COVID than those with lower Vitamin D levels.

Recently, MedCram had an episode specifically about Vitamin D and its relation to COVID - they do a great job explaining both verbally and visually all about Vitamin D, the various studies over the year about Vitamin D, and of course the growing amount of data as it relates to Vitamin D and COVID - I just finished watching it and all I can say is WOW!!

Anyway, I wanted to pass this along, as I know most here are of the type that likes to seek out information to make themselves more informed...and especially about health-related matters.

YouTube Video Link (Vitamin D and COVID 19: The Evidence for Prevention and Treatment of Coronavirus (SARS CoV 2)) ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2mLz- ... nedCLEARLY

YouTube Channel for MedCram ----> https://www.youtube.com/c/Medcram/featured

EDITED...MedCram is hosted by Dr. Roger Seheult (MD) - His specialties are: Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine

Here is some of his YouTube video's where I searched out the term "Sleep Apnea" since he specializes in Sleep Medicine: https://www.youtube.com/c/Medcram/searc ... 20Apnea%22
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

elsueno

Post by elsueno » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 pm

x

Last edited by elsueno on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 pm

dpeterzell wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 pm

I watched the video and can see why you recommended this. I think Dr. Seheult and his interviewer do a nice job of reviewing the research, BUT with some obvious confirmation bias. There are many other experts who aren’t ready to implicate Vitamin D deficiency as a predictor of COVID infection, severity, and mortality, for good reasons.
Glad to hear you watched it...and provided a very detailed synopsis. I looked at your two links. It's too bad and typical of most "studies", it will be years before medical science comes to a decision on anything!

I sometimes have the attention span of a squirrel so the video/visuals of MedCram's videos really help me understand a little bit better.

I first came across the MedCram video series when COVID was starting in the US and NO ONE really had a clue what was going on or could explain things (actually, no one really, STILL, has not a clue of how this virus spreads and has beaten everything thrown at it) about COVID that someone like me could understand. MedCram explained things about the virus, receptors, RNA vs. PCR testing, etc...that helped me understand COVID a bit better.
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

elsueno

Post by elsueno » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 pm

x

Last edited by elsueno on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:13 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:36 am
...Anyone have a clue how long it takes for body to recover from vitamin d deficiency after getting levels up? It's likely been low for past 8 years or so since it was insufficient back then and they told me to stop supplements when it got up to 57 ng/ml
Mine started at 17, doc prescribed the D2 form, took 50K once a week for months, tested every 6 weeks...at the end it was up to 20. D2 is the plant form that mammals MUST convert and as we age we just do a cr@p job of conversion. I was so disgusted, I did some investigating and the first thing I found was the need to take the D3 form which is what we mammals use. Get the one packed in oil as we need fat to absorb it. I started taking 2K/day and started to feel better within weeks! Next test showed it was up to like 30 or so, then leveled off so I increased to 5K/day and it rose again. Based on testing levels, I take 10K/day to keep levels >60. Per research in Sweden, 50 is the crossover level for disease prevention. Tests here on Covid-19 patients show almost no vit D which is better thought of as a pro-hormone. It is part of treatment as well a critical element of the Merik protocol for sepsis which often results in death, esp in people with severe Covid-19. All of the symptoms I associated with my low levels disappeared within weeks of getting levels up to at least 50. Now having stayed inside since Mar 6, 2020, I need to get my levels tested again as I am quite sure they are lower...going do that thru Mercola's connection with Grassroots as he's offered discounts in the past. This way I do not have to share air with others who might be contagious. Oh, and zinc is another that been tested to be low in people with Covid. I am one of those who react badly to vaccines, allergies or cytokines, who knows but doc said best to wait until one comes up without the strong allergy connection. BTW, I just read an article that says the two vaccines out now do not prevent the infection, they just prevent it from reaching the point where a person develops symptoms (going to check this out more thoroughly).

D2 can be toxic which is why they warn against high levels. However, in bright sunshine at at noon, we get something like 100K in a short period of time as sunlight hits our cholesterol and initiates the production of vit D, so if you take statins keep an eye on D levels as well as ubiqinol (active form of CoQ10) which is deleted by statins. It's been theorized that our current obsession with avoiding sunshine MIGHT be the reason most of us have such low levwls.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

imrj

Post by imrj » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:11 pm

i dont believe for a second any vitamin level is going to help with something like COVID infection....thats pretty much the job of our immune system, which could be less effective w/o proper nutrition, but is difficult for any research to demonstrate its a single vitamins problem......COVID infection = probably will manage ok....COVID plus undiagnosed and untreated viral infections (HPV, common cold, flu, etc)....could be deadly to the host of a weak inmune system. For some reason everything is being blamed on COVID now, and pre-existing infections muted....well I can assure you COVID is not into a competition with other viral infections, and they will happily coexist and have their way at you

elsueno

Post by elsueno » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:42 am

x

Last edited by elsueno on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

imrj

Post by imrj » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 am

didnt know they allowed kids under 16 on here...lol

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:22 pm

imrj wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 am
didnt know they allowed kids under 16 on here...lol
Dr McCoy has a pill in his bag next to the bottle of pills that grow new Kidneys, they will expand your ability to accept the knowledge of others.

PSSTT: Don't tell him it's a Placebo! :lol: Jim
BTW, I have been taking Vit D3 up to 10000 units and Zinc Glycinate 30 mg daily, it's cheap insurance for your health with little downsides, unlike meds.

Are you miffed dpeterzell will get his drivers license before you do? Maybe he took drivers ed. :wink: Jim

Live Long and Prosper!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

elsueno

Post by elsueno » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:20 pm

x

Last edited by elsueno on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:56 pm

Vitamin d is very important for immune system.

Just got my 50000 iu vitamin d2 in mail today. I've been taking 5000 d3 for a week or so now and I'm still tired but the awful body aches everywhere in body are gone! Also I have blood glucose meter because I've been borderline diabetic and noticed blood glucose is much better. 2 hours after eating it's better then when I faster before. So I'm definitely seeing benefits already.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:52 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:56 pm
Vitamin d is very important for immune system.

Just got my 50000 iu vitamin d2 in mail today. I've been taking 5000 d3 for a week or so now and I'm still tired but the awful body aches everywhere in body are gone! Also I have blood glucose meter because I've been borderline diabetic and noticed blood glucose is much better. 2 hours after eating it's better then when I faster before. So I'm definitely seeing benefits already.
Glad you think it is helping, hope it is. I've been taking 10,000 units D3 for 2 months tp pep up the immune system, not seen any effect positive or negative, but no ill effects either and as I said it's cheap, I also add Zinc Glycinate 30 mg to help the D3 do it's thing.

The only thing I've got from it is I'm still kicking, virus free, I started home quarantine 15 months ago, not been outside since, not going anywhere, living life in the slow lane.

I have not seen a help with blood glucose or body aches, it would have been Road Hard and Put Away Wet Too Many Times! :wink: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire