Back sleeping, adjustable beds and cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
arteach

Back sleeping, adjustable beds and cpap

Post by arteach » Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 am

I've searched and searched on here and the web for information about adjustable beds and back sleeping with cpap but have not had much luck. I'm trying to fine tune my sleeping for a better nights sleep. I've been a back sleeper for at least 5 years due to hip replacement surgery and other assorted aches and pains. Before that I was a side sleeper. It's obvious to me that with my small airways etc that back sleeping was not the greatest for me but gave me the best nights sleep. I began cpap treatment in Nov but I don't consider myself really getting any benefits until I started using the Bleep system in Feb. My cpap journey changed to the positive at that point. I have learned that my overall numbers are better if I can side sleep and read about it as the preferred way for cpap users. This has been quite the challenge. I can do it for a good share of the night but it is not my preference. I've tried sleeping with a wedge under my head and do ok with that although I don't believe it works as well as it should. I've long considered an adjustable bed for many reasons and I'm wondering if anyone has switched to an adjustable bed and what your experiences with it have been. They are expensive and I'm willing to make that investment if it will allow me to sleep on my back and still keep my ahi in a good range.I don't want to make an expensive mistake. I've gone to the store and tried them out and they feel great but 5 minutes doesn't simulate a nights sleep. Any thoughts or experiences with these beds or any other thoughts accepted too. Thanks

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Back sleeping, adjustable beds and cpap

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 01, 2021 7:37 am

I normally sleep on my side, but six years ago, I slept on my back while recovering from
my surgery for breast cancer for several months.
The effects of back sleeping were canceled out by my cpap.
Back sleeping just gave my cpap a little more work to do--and it did it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat May 01, 2021 8:01 am

arteach wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 am
They are expensive and I'm willing to make that investment if it will allow me to sleep on my back and still keep my ahi in a good range.I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
My friends that have adjustable beds love them. In addition to help with airway patency, elevating the legs can be very helpful for some people.

You don't have to buy an expensive adjustable bed. The local strip-mall mattress stores around here have inexpensive models that work well.

BTW, has your CPAP system been optimized for back-sleeping?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 01, 2021 9:11 am

Often people can sleep on their backs and still get great sleep and great therapy with a minor adjustment to the baseline pressure and a new bed isn't needed unless someone just wants a new bed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat May 01, 2021 10:55 am

for the past several months, i've been trying to sleep on my stomach.

it helps relieve my very minor aches in my lower back. and i never have any sort of dry mouth. it's given me some of the most prolonged periods of sleep i've ever had. while not the whole night, i can get around 4 to 5 hours on my tummy.

you might try it. it's called the falcon position. if you google "the falcon sleep position" it's the first thing that pops up, complete with picture.

for me, it has one drawback: i have to reposition my hands as they have a tendency to fall asleep.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat May 01, 2021 7:33 pm

I started using an adjustable bed about five years before I started using my bi-level machine and have been using my machine for almost six years. I use a firm foam cervical collar as well. My AHI stays under 1 most nights.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

CPAPinCAL

Post by CPAPinCAL » Sat May 01, 2021 10:44 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:55 am
for the past several months, i've been trying to sleep on my stomach.

it helps relieve my very minor aches in my lower back. and i never have any sort of dry mouth. it's given me some of the most prolonged periods of sleep i've ever had. while not the whole night, i can get around 4 to 5 hours on my tummy.

you might try it. it's called the falcon position. if you google "the falcon sleep position" it's the first thing that pops up, complete with picture.

for me, it has one drawback: i have to reposition my hands as they have a tendency to fall asleep.

good luck!
My sleep study showed supine AHI of 26, prone 2.5. I have trained myself to sleep on my stomach and now I am used to it but it wasn't easy. That and the APAP have made such an enormous difference in my life. Glad to hear it is working for you, Zonker.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat May 01, 2021 10:52 pm

CPAPinCAL wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:44 pm

My sleep study showed supine AHI of 26, prone 2.5. I have trained myself to sleep on my stomach and now I am used to it but it wasn't easy. That and the APAP have made such an enormous difference in my life. Glad to hear it is working for you, Zonker.
yup. i just want to slowly get to the point where i'm prone all night. as it is, i usually slip over onto my side for a bit.

oh well. practice makes perfect.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

arteach

Post by arteach » Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 am

Thanks for the thoughts and info.

Okie.........do you like your bed and do you believe it helps or hinders your cpap experience?

Yes, I have got my back sleeping cpap maximized. I get better numbers sleeping on my side but I can not stay in a position that is good for my body parts.
When I was younger I slept on my stomach but it's not the best for a hip patient. I have seen the falcon position. I have arthritis in various parts of my body and some sleeping methods just flare that all up.

old dude

Post by old dude » Sun May 02, 2021 10:13 am

My experience as a previous side sleeper is that I couldn’t get by without an adjustable bed. I couldn’t prevent mask leaks on my side in a flat bed so I had to go to a recliner for several years. The adjustable bed is a huge step up from the recliner. Two hints: be sure to get 100% memory foam (no hybrid) and be sure it adjusts at the foot also.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 am

arteach wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 am
Thanks for the thoughts and info.

Okie.........do you like your bed and do you believe it helps or hinders your cpap experience?

Yes, I have got my back sleeping cpap maximized. I get better numbers sleeping on my side but I can not stay in a position that is good for my body parts.
When I was younger I slept on my stomach but it's not the best for a hip patient. I have seen the falcon position. I have arthritis in various parts of my body and some sleeping methods just flare that all up.
okay. sounds like the adjustable bed may be for you.

good luck!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun May 02, 2021 11:28 am

arteach wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 am
Yes, I have got my back sleeping cpap maximized. I get better numbers sleeping on my side
And what are your numbers on your back?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun May 02, 2021 2:37 pm

I really don't know if it helps or hinders the use of the machine. I bought the bed because I was diagnosed with severe arthritis of the spine and shoulders. The shoulder pain prevents me from sleeping on my side for long periods of time. I figure anything that helps me relax at night is going to improve my sleep and the use of the machine.

CPAPinCAL

Post by CPAPinCAL » Sun May 02, 2021 5:14 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:37 pm
I really don't know if it helps or hinders the use of the machine. I bought the bed because I was diagnosed with severe arthritis of the spine and shoulders. The shoulder pain prevents me from sleeping on my side for long periods of time. I figure anything that helps me relax at night is going to improve my sleep and the use of the machine.
That sucks. My lower back acts up from time to time for reasons I have never been able to fathom and when it does, my AHI, especially centrals, goes UP. It is a combination of pain-induced SWJ and holding my breath in pain when I have to move. Hope things improve!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun May 02, 2021 7:29 pm

I have had one back surgery (laminectomy) which relieved the pressure on the nerves which helped quite a bit.