Mask for extra small nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Klara

Mask for extra small nose

Post by Klara » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi, I just started using CPAP Machine 2 weeks ago after being diagnosed with extremely severe Sleep apnea (AHI 128). Everything around machine itself is just fine - Resmed bi-level with humidifier. Values measured using CPAP are great except the mask because I have realy small nose. Even if using the smallest masks we found in Resmed (N20 and F20) it´s still a big ordeal. I should have a full face mask cause I´m breathing with mouth very often, but it´s very difficult to keep the mask on without airleaks. Only possibility is to lay on my back, almost without a movements with the stripes really tighten up. It causes me a backpain and I often wake up after I move and the mask leaks an air (especially to my eyes). Not to mention I have atopic eczema and after two weaks of tighten up masks my face starts to look like an adolescet´s nightmare (and I´m 40). N20 is little bit better as it doesn´t reach my forehead and doesn´t leak to the eyes but still it´s pretty annoying and I can´t move at night very well to keep it without leaks.

Of course I have to continue to get familiar with using the mask, thet´s fine, but I have to find the right one mask. In Resmed they confirmed my small nose is the issue and recommended to try different masks. I would appreciate any tips or advices for any masks from anybody with similar problems. So far I tried to contact Philips in hope Dreamwear masks could work for me, but didn´t get any answear via e-mail so far and on the helpline they don´t have an info where to try their masks. Next week should be back on my sleep clinic (they were on a vacation) so we will discuss it. But still I would like to discover every posibility I have. Please let me know if someone had the same problem and which mask was the best for him. Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: Mask for extra small nose

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:02 pm

If you just have to use a full face mask...look at the full face masks like the Respironics DreamWear full face mask or the similar ResMed full face mask the AirFit F30.
The size of the nose isn't as critical because the cushion fits under the nose instead of over the nose.

Or look at one of the nasal pillow masks like the P10 or even the N30 nasal mask from ResMed.

Or look at the mask I use...link in my signature line.
It's been used on kids with tiny noses.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:30 pm

welcome to the zoo!

have you tried googling "pediatric cpap masks"?

also, i think forum member chunkyfrog has a small face/nose and uses the nasal pillow mask resmed P10.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:40 pm

Klara wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:52 pm
the stripes really tighten up
Masks aren't designed to be adjusted tightly. Find your favorite mask on youtube and watch three of four videos on fitting and adjusting. Some of the videos are quite good.

Klara

Post by Klara » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:39 am

Thank you all. During my Resmed fitting I tried some of swift masks as well, meaby Swift FX nano because I was interested in it but Resmed worker warned me it´ll not fit on my nose - she was right, absolutely no way. The same way was outrulled everything "inside-nose". I asked about mask for kids but they didn´t have it. Either way I found only Pixie mask on their web and it´s not full face.

To be exact about the full face mask: My nose is small and very narrow, mostly close to my eyes. It´s narrow inside as well and it´s the reason it´s often partly or fully clogged - difficult to explain - it´s not like you have a runny nose, you can´t just use a handkerchief. It doesn´t bother me in my sleep, I just start to breathe with my mouth automatically withnout waking up.

N20 looks like better fit for smaller leaks and sometimes it doesn´t leak in tmy position on the side (big PLUS), hovever I would prefer F20 as it´s full face. My first night with clogged nose and N20 was very uncomfortable, as you can imagine. I woke up with chimney effect after starting mouth-breathe many times. Which triggered cough and I´m astmatic so falling asleep was more and more difficult and I was asleep only 2-4 hours for 3 days. After several days I just gave up N20 and now I try everything possible with F20 to keep in working just fine. If it would stay in place while I´m on side, it would be such a relief! I start every night with mask and try to fall asleep on my back as quickly as possible and stay on my back. During the night it´s something between repositioning mask half-asleep and waking up with pain in my back. Usually if the pain is too much, I give up some time between 3 a.m. ans 5 a.m., put down the mask and falling asleep on my side. I know it shouldn´t be so tighten up, but so far I didn´t find any other solution. That´s why I hope meaby a full face mask from another producer could fit.

Sorry, that it sounds like silly whining. After two weeks I´m rude, sleepless and spotty. But really happy to find this phorum.

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 am

I don't think you are being rude or whiny at all! You have a challenging situation. A lot of us use the P10 mask (the small pillow is a good fit for small noses) and then tape our mouths when we're having trouble with mouth breathing. It can work well, but it sounds like you have trouble getting enough air flow through your nose and really need to be able to breathe through your mouth. Have you tried any hybrid masks? They fit under the nose but also cover the mouth. I don't know how well they fit a small face, though.
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

Klara

Post by Klara » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:55 am

Thanks. I did try every mask Resmed lady offered. But she explicitely picked these two as I have now as being possible for my nose. She let me try Swift, because I asked for it, but she was right - doesn´t fit at all so I didn´t argue about the other masks. I dunno about lab in the hospital, because I was there only on sleep over test, then they went on vacation. Original plan was way different I was prepared and expected to get a CPAP later - September or October. But the doc checked my test very soon and immediately contacted me to start the treatment immediately and asked the Lady from Resmed to take care of me during a hospital sleep center vacation. I really appreciate it. Meaby they could have there more masks in the hospital, but I´m willing to try everything, travel anywhere to find the right one mask. So I don´t want to just sit on my butt and wait for a doc or anybody else to take care of me. I would be glad to do something on my own.

Coffee Man

Post by Coffee Man » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:45 am

The AirFit F20 has a silicone cushion and the AirTouch F20 has a memory foam cushion. They both fit the F20 frame. For me, the memory foam cushion provided a better seal. So, make sure you try both versions of the F20 cushions before giving up on that mask.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:06 am

Klara wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:39 am
often partly or fully clogged
Have you had an airway examination by an ENT?

Klara

Post by Klara » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:48 am

Coffee Man wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:45 am
The AirFit F20 has a silicone cushion and the AirTouch F20 has a memory foam cushion.
Tahnks for hint, I didn´t consider it, although I red it somewhere. I´ll ask to try the memory foam for sure!
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:06 am
Have you had an airway examination by an ENT?
Yes, I have and passed. It´s narrow inside my nose but nothing excluding CPAP luckily. I would it never consider as an issue - my nose never clogs during the day, only at night in laying position. I can use a nasal drops but it works only temporarily, doesn´t hold whole night.

JXG

Post by JXG » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:36 am

The Wisp mask has a Petite cushion that is very small. It's a nasal mask though so you might try it with a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. There is also a Wisp youth mask that is even smaller (has an animal print cover though). You could also consider the FitLife total face mask that seals around the outer perimeter of your face, avoiding your nose altogether.

Klara

Post by Klara » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:01 am

Thanks for the hint with the big full face mask. I didn´t know such a masks even exist. Definitely worth to try if I´ll not find a well fitting normal full face mask. Meantime I have got an answear from Philips - they have another distributor, so I´ll contact them. I believe there is the biggest potential to find the right one mask. And I would like to try different cushion on Resmed masks as well. I´m afraid Wasp is out of question because I have to have the possibility to breathe with mouth. Then I´ve found full face for children. Something has to fit.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:17 am

I found that mask cushions, i.e. from Padacheek, did not reduce leaks,
but made them QUIET enough so they did not bother me.
Some leaks are inevitable--trying to stop them all is a lost cause.
The fitting videos stress that tighter is not better,
because the worst leaks find the wrinkles that result.