Are these arousals? Help needed for PS settings

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wellhellothere

Are these arousals? Help needed for PS settings

Post by Wellhellothere » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:38 am

Hi all you fellow forum users out there,

It's been a while since I was active on this forum, as I have been trying to make headways treating my UARS and I need a fresh pair of eyes to review what I believe is hampering the quality of my sleep.

After losing a ton of weight a couple years ago I have all but reduced my AHI to 0, without really noticing an improvement in my sleep quality. While looking at the readout of my ASV machine, I have noticed that I still have flow limitations and I don't really understand the pattern in which the disruptions on my flow rate show up.

https://imgur.com/a/n8sxvk1

In essence I take a couple of big gulps of air, followed by a "collapse" of the flow rate. I have these events happening a lot in my sleep, making me believe that if I am able to iron these out, my sleep quality will improve massively. The DISE/sleep endoscopy the ENT performed a while back showed a multi-level collapse of the upper airway, confirming my suspicion of having to focus on UARS. Since the machine hardly ever flags any hypopnea's and apnea's, but rather big FL's of 50% and higher,I am quite keen on understanding the following:
  • Are these arousals?
    If so, can swollen turbinates contribute? (I have a chronic dripping nose during the day, mucho tissues needed)
    Should I solely focus on gradually increase Ipap, with perhaps a minor range between Ipap min and Ipap max?
    Would it be better to go for a bipap, as opposed to an ASV

I can't remember if I took of the mask when waking up at night and forgot to put it back on or I yanked it off while sleeping (more likely). I do have a fair bit of testing and feeling it's effects to do, and would really appreciate your 2 cents and tips.

Thanks!
RESMED Aircurve 10-CS
Resmed Airpillows P10

jlsmithseven

Re: Are these arousals? Help needed for PS settings

Post by jlsmithseven » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:40 am

I'm just curious here, but do you sleep on your back or side?

Wellhellothere

Post by Wellhellothere » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:50 am

My body mostly wants to sleep on my back. I am quite aware of the positional element of breathing difficulties, but I haven't found a way to keep sleeping on my side. Have already tried a Sleep Position trainer, tennis/baseballs in my shirt. Sleeping with a full backpack did do the trick, but was quite hard to sustain, as I limited myself to sleeping on one side.

I'm leaning towards increasing the Ipap, as the AHI is fine, while giving the backpack another shot?
RESMED Aircurve 10-CS
Resmed Airpillows P10

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:58 am

Wellhellothere wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:50 am
My body mostly wants to sleep on my back. I am quite aware of the positional element of breathing difficulties, but I haven't found a way to keep sleeping on my side. Have already tried a Sleep Position trainer, tennis/baseballs in my shirt. Sleeping with a full backpack did do the trick, but was quite hard to sustain, as I limited myself to sleeping on one side.

I'm leaning towards increasing the Ipap, as the AHI is fine, while giving the backpack another shot?
I am not too familiar with your needs for the IPAP at all, I was just curious because I think I just found sleeping on my back allows the machine do its job better than my side. I think sleeping sideways kind of puts a kink in my airways for some reason and doesn't allow the air to fully get in where it needs to.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:46 am

The zoomed-in flow-rate graphs do show brief arousals, followed by shallower breathing that probably is awake breathing. The big question is what causes the arousals, and I don't see anything on the charts that suggests an answer.

If these charts are typical, you actually are doing well on the FL front. While the FLs you do have are relatively high on the ResMed measurement algorithm, there are very few of them and I don't see evidence that they are triggering arousals. (It's not entirely clear how the RM measurement works, but .5 doesn't mean a 50% blockage and 1.0 doesn't mean a 100% blockage.)

The condition of your nose may or may not be a factor in your poor sleep. If it is a factor, using higher pressures is very unlikely to help. The value of pressure comes in gently pushing back on the softer tissues lining the airway south of the nose; the inside of the nose is pretty unyielding.

You do of course need to use your machine all night every night. If you remove your mask during the night fairly frequently, do try to address that. For some people, all it takes is a strip of adhesive tape across a mask strap and anchored to your face. The tug on your skin may wake you up enough to leave your mask alone. With time, you might not need to use this trick.

Your question about switching to a vanilla bi-level machine is a good one, but I don't know the answer.

Does your nose get stopped up during the night? Is it possible this causes some of the arousals and some of the mask-removing?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Wellhellothere

Post by Wellhellothere » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:09 pm

I did have most events when sleeping on my back,.so trying to sleep on my side wouldn't hurt.

However, if I look at the interval that this gasping is happening, is causing me to suspect that either the pressure is not high enough, or my natural breathing rhythm is syncing with the machine, causing these gasping/mini choking episodes.
RESMED Aircurve 10-CS
Resmed Airpillows P10

Wellhellothere

Post by Wellhellothere » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:38 pm

Hi miss Emirita,

Thank you for taking a look and replying.

I had a look at the data for other nights and I do see a pattern of gasping, followed by shallow breathing or even a flagged hypopnea.

During the day my nose is very stuffy and runny, which seems like my turbinates do swell up. This could either be caused by me being horizontal (I have significantly better sleep sleeping sitting up), or because of the air to be to dry/cold. I'll give sleeping with a heated tube + humidifier and see if anything changes.
RESMED Aircurve 10-CS
Resmed Airpillows P10

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:09 pm

Wellhellothere wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:38 am
At this level of zooming we can't really answer your question about arousals. However, overall looks like decent sleep breathing for most of the night. (It is worth noting, however, that the job of an ASV is to insure a good wave form in folks who have problems with central sleep apnea.)
In essence I take a couple of big gulps of air, followed by a "collapse" of the flow rate. I have these events happening a lot in my sleep, making me believe that if I am able to iron these out, my sleep quality will improve massively.
This sounds like it could be a spontaneous arousal rather than a respiratory related one. And the "collapse" of flow rate could just be a normal transition back to sleep. We'd need to see a zoomed in shot of what you are talking about. The relevant graphs are the flow graph, the flow limitation graph, and possibly the snore & pressure graphs. If we could see that for say about 30-60 seconds before the suspected arousal and about 30 seconds after the breathing returns to normal, that would go a long way in helping us try to figure out whether the arousals might be respiratory related or not.

Now, don't get me wrong: Too many spontaneous arousals can destroy sleep, just like too many respiratory related arousals can. But fixing spontaneous arousals is a more difficult task than fixing respiratory-related ones: Respiratory-related arousals ought to become rare if the pressure is right.
The DISE/sleep endoscopy the ENT performed a while back showed a multi-level collapse of the upper airway, confirming my suspicion of having to focus on UARS.
That's a reasonable suspicion.
Since the machine hardly ever flags any hypopnea's and apnea's, but rather big FL's of 50% and higher,I am quite keen on understanding the following:
  • Are these arousals?
    If so, can swollen turbinates contribute? (I have a chronic dripping nose during the day, mucho tissues needed)
    Should I solely focus on gradually increase Ipap, with perhaps a minor range between Ipap min and Ipap max?
    Would it be better to go for a bipap, as opposed to an ASV
We need to see what's happening on a breath-by-breath basis.

The swollen turbinates might (or might not) be contributing to the flow limitations. The nasal congestion, if it is a problem at night, could definitely be triggering some arousals, but throwing more pressure at your nose may or may not fix anything. The question is whether your flow limitations respond in any way to increased pressure.

As for BiPAP vs. ASV: Why were you put on the ASV in the first place? What are all of your actual settings? And how were your settings determined? Because it looks to me like the way your ASV is set up, you are essentially mimicking a straight CPAP running at about 11-11.2cm for the Pressure setting with an EPR =3. That's what the extremely tight PS range is forcing your ASV to do: Your IPAP must stay between 11cm and 11.2cm and your EPAP must stay between 8 and 8.2cm.

You might find increasing the the max IPAP setting and also increase max PS setting to something like 4 or 5. Those changes will give your machine more freedom to increase pressure in response to flow limitations and sort of mimic the way a Resmed VAuto or a PR BiPAP works. Right now, it can't really increase the pressure to respond to those flow limitations at all. (Note: For folks using an ASV for central sleep apnea, the max PS is often really super high---like above 10. When the machine is responding to central apneas, that huge max PS setting allows the machine to increase IPAP drastically in an effort to trigger some inhalations.)

I think given that UARS is on the table for discussion, you really need to let us see some zoomed in data. You might want to post your data at the freebie version of SleepHQ and provide us with a link to a typical night. That way we can zoom in on areas that are of interest to help tease out what might be going on in your sleep.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

DayDreamBeliever

Post by DayDreamBeliever » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:18 pm

Not sure this is relevant, but I'm just wondering why the Flow Limitations statistics in OSCAR are all 0.00 when there are clearly at least a few indicated on the chart?
Is it a reporting artifact of this particular ResMed model? Or does it indicate something is not right with the data being reported?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:30 pm

DayDreamBeliever wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:18 pm
Is it a reporting artifact of this particular ResMed model?
Historically from what I have seen on other ASV machine reports as well as when I actually tried ASV the Fl graph from these machines seemed to make mountains out of molehills and made the FL graph to look uglier than people would expect.
I know when I used ASV my FL graph was horrible looking but with any of the other machines (apap or bipap or bilevel) I never really have had much in the way of FLs. Certainly nothing anywhere near what the ASV showed.

If I was seeing the above FLs on my report and I was using ASV I doubt I would even bother with it.
I will try to see if I can find an old ASV report to show what I mean but when I used that machine it was several years ago and that data didn't make the trip to the new computer and the old computer has a powering up problem...it's pretty much dead...that's why I got a new computer last year.

My vote is the machine making a mountain out of a molehill especially since the statistics don't report it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wellhellothere

Post by Wellhellothere » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:47 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:09 pm
Wellhellothere wrote:

I think given that UARS is on the table for discussion, you really need to let us see some zoomed in data. You might want to post your data at the freebie version of SleepHQ and provide us with a link to a typical night. That way we can zoom in on areas that are of interest to help tease out what might be going on in your sleep.
Thank for your reply there! It's fairly late here in Holland, and I will try to reply more extensively tomorrow. For now, you can find a link to last night's data:

https://sleephq.com/public/a64c4039-efd ... 4aa9c30f11

This is a readout of using a wider PS range last week, using the ASV auto mode. I felt like a train wreck. Perhaps the changes in pressure are not for me, hence trying to narrow down a pressure setting that will work for me:

https://sleephq.com/public/289530eb-49d ... d534294c01

Thanks
RESMED Aircurve 10-CS
Resmed Airpillows P10

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:19 pm

Wellhellothere wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:47 pm
robysue1 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:09 pm
Wellhellothere wrote:

Thank for your reply there! It's fairly late here in Holland, and I will try to reply more extensively tomorrow. For now, you can find a link to last night's data:

https://sleephq.com/public/a64c4039-efd ... 4aa9c30f11

This is a readout of using a wider PS range last week, using the ASV auto mode. I felt like a train wreck. Perhaps the changes in pressure are not for me, hence trying to narrow down a pressure setting that will work for me:

https://sleephq.com/public/289530eb-49d ... d534294c01

Thanks
Thanks for those links to your data over at SleepHQ.

I've quickly scrolled through, and I have to say that unless I try to count almost every small breathing irregularity, I'm not really seeing a ton of things that scream, "This is an arousal". I'll write more about that when I get home.

I also want to say that SleepHQ has one funky pressure curve for this machine. Maybe that's because I don't know what a zoomed in version of a Resmed ASV machine's pressure curve looks like.

I also want to ask: Have you been changing the settings on this machine? I can't pick up all the settings for night of Dec. 10 from the OSCAR screen shot. But the Oscar screen shot seems to indicate Min EPAP = 8.0, Min PS = 3.0, and Max PS = 3.2. And I can't really determine Max IPAP. The stuff from SleepHQ seems to indicate that the settings are different:
  • On Dec. 9 the settings appear to be Min EPAP = 7.6, Max EPAP = 9.0, Min IPAP = 10.6, Max IPAP = 17, Min PS = 3, and Max PS = 8. Those settings mean that IPAP must always satisfy:
    Current EPAP + 3 <= Current IPAP <= min( Current EPAP + 8, 17)
    Because Min EPAP + 8 = 15.6, theoretically if IPAP >= 15.6 and needs to be increased, then the machine might be forced into increasing both EPAP and IPAP to keep PS = 8. Your data, however, does not show that happening. Your data shows your IPAP ranging from 10.5 to 16 on this night. (SleepHQ doesn't show what's happening to the EPAP setting.)
  • On Dec 12 the settings appear to be Min EPAP = 8, Min PS = 4, Max PS = 4, and Max IPAP = 12. This effectively means the machine is running like a bi-level machine with fixed EPAP and IPAP pressure levels. It prevents the machine from increasing the pressure for any reason. Of course, on this night it looks like there was nothing to make the machine want to increase the pressures.
The reason I'm asking about settings is pretty simple: It's kind of hard to pin down what is happening and how to possibly fix it when we're confronted with a bunch of data from nights with settings that are quite different.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:51 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:19 pm
I also want to say that SleepHQ has one funky pressure curve for this machine. Maybe that's because I don't know what a zoomed in version of a Resmed ASV machine's pressure curve looks like.
I don't believe SleepHQ supports ASV machines - don't see them mentioned in the list.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:57 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Maybe that's because I don't know what a zoomed in version of a Resmed ASV machine's pressure curve looks like.
I can help with that :)

Here's a S9 VPAP Adapt (ASV) zoomed in, you can see the ASV doing it's massive PS dance. In fact, the way you determine if a Resmed ASV was dealing with centrals is to watch the mask pressure trace for PS excursions like this:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:58 pm

ozij wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:51 pm
robysue1 wrote:
I don't believe SleepHQ supports ASV machines - don't see them mentioned in the list.
To handle ASVs requires *proper* display of the mask pressure trace. :D

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.